Author Topic: Engine cover!  (Read 33236 times)

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
Re: Engine cover!
« Reply #30 on: 15 January 2023, 07:52 »
Heard yesterday Cupra are sending out letters for some replacement covers to be fitted FOC.
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #31 on: 21 February 2023, 18:01 »
Arteon covers are now being replaced also so hopefully ours won't be far away.🤞
Mk6 GTI DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 10 April 2023, 13:47 »
Anyone have any update on the superfluous piece of plastic that VW decided Mk 8 owners could do without? There seems to be no intention to replace this part we have already paid for. Seems like VW’s attitude is one of disdain. Would you accept this from a private seller? I think not. It would be a remedy of either replacement or compensation. Having added door sill inserts and a bonnet strut I am being drawn to acquiring my own replacement. If I have a strut I might be tempted to actually open the bonnet and see what’s inside.
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #33 on: 12 April 2023, 15:43 »
Anyone have any update on the superfluous piece of plastic that VW decided Mk 8 owners could do without? There seems to be no intention to replace this part we have already paid for. Seems like VW’s attitude is one of disdain. Would you accept this from a private seller? I think not. It would be a remedy of either replacement or compensation. Having added door sill inserts and a bonnet strut I am being drawn to acquiring my own replacement. If I have a strut I might be tempted to actually open the bonnet and see what’s inside.

No updates as yet presume new builds are coming with covers now so they must be available!
Mk6 GTI DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 12 April 2023, 16:37 »
Maybe collectively we contact Leigh Day or some of the others who have been chasing Diesel gate, to see if we can get VW ‘s attention. I would like to have an engine cover. The novelty of it!   :grin:
« Last Edit: 12 April 2023, 16:39 by Ceefeesh »

Offline Millzy68

• Not said much yet
« Reply #35 on: 14 April 2023, 08:39 »
Collected my new GTi last week and no engine cover. Although I wasn't a fan of the look and quality of the original cover, the engine does look a bit exposed without any sort of a cover. Apart from that I love the car and they seem to have ironed out a lot of the glitches with the operating system. Some great tips and info on this forum helped me with the set up etc 👍🏼

Offline Tractor Dave

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #36 on: 14 April 2023, 08:41 »
And no cover on my R collected last month.

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #37 on: 14 April 2023, 08:49 »
Maybe collectively we contact Leigh Day or some of the others who have been chasing Diesel gate, to see if we can get VW ‘s attention. I would like to have an engine cover. The novelty of it!   :grin:

Besides anything else, the original cover would have contributed towards the overall cost of the car!
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 14 April 2023, 09:40 »

Besides anything else, the original cover would have contributed towards the overall cost of the car!

On seatcupra.net forum, some members whose cars were delivered without an engine cover have been told by their dealers that there’ll be a charge for the revised version of the cover when it eventually arrive!  :shocked:. No way should owners be expected to pay for the replacement cover when, as you’ve said, the original price of the car would have included the cost of an engine cover which was either not fitted or if one was fitted, it was subsequently removed on safety grounds.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #39 on: 14 April 2023, 10:10 »
Here’s one view. Surely some of the price of the car was for the engine cover which on purchase became the property of the car owner, not VW. They removed it because of the problem with overheating and most importantly for them, to limit liability for any damage that might occur.

Was true consent obtained for removal? Taking property without consent is often theft.
What is the collective value of the covers they physically removed and retained?
Why has there been no expedient steps to replace what they took?
Presumably, the engine cover was part of the system to lessen injury to pedestrians in the event of a collision. So, who has liability if this absence contributes to injuries?
Perhaps we should all write to VW and state that in the absence of a replacement we want our property returned.

They have our money already and we’re not important to them. Not returning the covers doesn’t cost them anything. As I said earlier their attitude to the customers whose property they removed is disdain. This is really shocking treatment that deserves to be called out. Perhaps to make amends for their appalling attitude they will provide us with carbon fibre engine covers.  :rolleyes: Oops, there goes a flying pig! :rolleyes: Rant over.
« Last Edit: 14 April 2023, 11:56 by Ceefeesh »