Author Topic: Snapped locking wheel nut key...help!!  (Read 7117 times)

Offline 8vgti

• Here all the time
Snapped locking wheel nut key...help!!
« on: 07 April 2005, 14:04 »
Took the car in for some rear pads and to cut a long story short they managed to snap 2 of the 3 'fingers' of my locking wheel nut key for my mk3 8v. They werent using a gun, but i think past use from other garages took its toll so there we go. Anyway went to VW and they have managed to get 3 of the nuts off with a master key, but 1 is stuck fast. I have re-drilled the holes (as they were more square than circular) but the key keeps slipping out. It will tighten but not undo...basically the 'fingers' of the key are not deep enough as they keep coming out (the bolt holes are obviously worn being 7 years old). Anyway does anybody have any idea how to get it out other than drilling it out totally. Someone has mentioned banging a small socket on and then taking it off but any help appreciated.

cheers
« Last Edit: 07 April 2005, 14:48 by 8vgti »

Veedubgt18v

Re: Snapped locking wheel nut key...help!!
« Reply #1 on: 07 April 2005, 14:09 »
take it to quik fit or somewhere my mate works at one of those and they got a widget thing that sort of grips on and gets them out

redcarboy

« Reply #2 on: 07 April 2005, 14:13 »
Same thing happened to mine when i took it in for a new tyre they had to use a gripper to get the nut out took all of 5 seconds when you put new locking bolts back on the car just a suggestion mine are only now hand tight wont be making the mistake of using the gun on them again.. :smiley:

Offline 8vgti

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 07 April 2005, 14:44 »
Same thing happened to mine when i took it in for a new tyre they had to use a gripper to get the nut out took all of 5 seconds when you put new locking bolts back on the car just a suggestion mine are only now hand tight wont be making the mistake of using the gun on them again.. :smiley:

Count,

Whats the 'gripper' thing like??

redcarboy

« Reply #4 on: 07 April 2005, 14:53 »
Some sort of clamp from what i remember bit like a big pair of pneumatic plyers all i cared about was getting the fookin think off and how much it was gonna cost..ring national tyres and ask them what they used.Could have been some sort of attatchment for the tyre gun i suppose. :huh:
« Last Edit: 07 April 2005, 15:00 by Count-Von »

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 07 April 2005, 15:22 »
the bloke who owned my car before me had his alloys cut off cos he couldn't get the nuts undone! bad for him , good for me . brand new gti alloys on a 95 car!

Judderi

« Reply #6 on: 07 April 2005, 15:34 »
Most tyre places are used to this sort of thing and are able to remove them. I wouldent bother drilling if i were you. In my experience its not worth the hastle time and damage you will do.

mix

« Reply #7 on: 07 April 2005, 15:37 »
^^you know it!!!  nothing like slipping when there is your full weight behind the drill......new wheel please...

Offline Mr Blue

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 07 April 2005, 15:57 »
I used a lock nut socket with the 3 holes and wacked them onto the locknut and then used an impact wrench to undo them.

Just get a hammer and punch
:)

redcarboy

« Reply #9 on: 07 April 2005, 16:18 »

The offending wheel nut after i had snapped the locking nut.. :grin: :huh: