Author Topic: Xenon retrofitting  (Read 18322 times)

Offline Screech

• Not said much yet
Xenon retrofitting
« on: 20 April 2015, 14:26 »
Hey guys.
Been loitering for a while but just decided it's about time to join!  I hope this is in the right section!

I've been wanting to get xenons from the day I got my car, back in October, had them in my mk4 and mk5, so going back to halogens is a big no for me!

So I've done a lot of research into it but there's a couple of points i'm still unclear on, and I'm hoping someone here can answer them.

I know the bcm is going to need changing, as I have a 086, I know I need an 087, but what about the letter at the end? There's so many variants, what differs from the letters?

When I started looking into fitting the AFS (self levelling) the first thing I noticed was the kits only use the rear sensor, where the mk5 install used front and rear.
That's fine, but I've now come across a kit that uses front and rear sensors! So I'm now confused, what's the difference, and what one do I need??

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
Re: Xenon retrofitting
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2015, 15:29 »
http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-auto-leveling-sensor-retrofit-kit-vw-golf-vi-6-xenon,id462.html this is the kit you need, only 1 sensor needed. There is a link somewhere to a bcm on ebay £60 Mavs will fill you in on the rest. If your going AFS then your going OEM.
« Last Edit: 20 April 2015, 16:35 by golfhappy »
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.

Offline Screech

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2015, 22:07 »
Thanks for the reply.

And here's the 2 sensor kit http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-auto-leveling-2x-sensor-retrofit-kit-vw-golf-vi-6-xenon,id992.html
Which is why I'm confused, what's the difference- if 1 serves an added feature I'd like to know what!

Cheers

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 21 April 2015, 09:45 »
Was VAG tech that fitted mine it's only the one sensor kit on the GTD/GTi. AFS works like a dream. You could ask them at Carsystems, but the kit in the link is the one i have.
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2015, 11:02 »
On some of your other points. When i ordered a BCM i got a comparable year ED35 and from the the number plate on Auto Trader. That way i knew that the BCM would have the base software. Think mine ends in AE. I would presume as the car evolves and Toys added the BCM software is upgraded hence changes in part number.
There is a levelling kit retrofit at Golf.au.net. M4RKO  did the write up. He also used the carsystems kit, only one sensor  used.
As to coding or even wiring diagrams a boy on there did screen shots and his wiring diagrams, well as i said, he could get a job with NASA! http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?2183-Golf-MK6-Bi-Xenon-with-LED-DRL-and-AFS-retrofitted and another AFS link http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46536&page=4

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 21 April 2015, 14:20 »
I retrofitted mine a few years back and just used the rear sensor.
ROSS-TECH supplied me with the code for that configuration.

If you have ACC (Adaptive Chassis Control) then both sensors will already be fitted and the AFS module gets the levelling information from the ACC module over the CAN bus. This requires a different code in the AFS module.
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline mavs

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 21 April 2015, 17:52 »
Not sure about the AFS, but if you need any pointers swopping out and coding the new BCM, its pretty fresh in my head at the moment having only just done this myself the other week  :smiley: And with a great help from Mr Golfhappy himself  :cool:
59' GOLF MK6 GTI | Reflex Silver | APR Stage 1 | Neuspeed P-Flo Intake | 18" Anthracite TD Pro Race 1.2 Alloys | Heated Vienna Leather | RNS 510 | Cruise Control | Bi-Xenon LED DRL Headlights | OEM LED Tails

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 21 April 2015, 22:19 »
Not sure about the AFS, but if you need any pointers swopping out and coding the new BCM, its pretty fresh in my head at the moment having only just done this myself the other week  :smiley: And with a great help from Mr Golfhappy himself  :cool:

Mind it's a bit boring without the error bulb now, he was like a little friend waiting to greet you! I miss him  :cry: ..NOT!  :smiley:

Offline Screech

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 22 April 2015, 16:19 »
Thanks for the replies, all very helpful.

Very good idea getting a comparable VRM offautotrader, I'll try that!

I've found the wiring diagram, I'm thinking of making the loom up myself again (as I did on the mk5) only thing is, I need loads more canbus wire, which is expensive in itself!

Changing the bcm is the only thing I'm a bit sceptical about, so any advice on that would be great!!
I've read in 1 link somewhere that changing from 086 to 087 isn't actually necessary, but I believe that's wrong info as all 086's I've come across haven't got pins in 48 and 49 of socket 'c'!

Cheers

Offline mavs

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 22 April 2015, 18:02 »
Well my GTI is a 2009 - 59 Plate, came with the halogen headlights and standard rear lights (NON LED). My BCM was a 086 C running on software version 537.

I fitted a set of bi-xenon headlights with the LED DRLs. Plugged them in, coded them up, all worked fine, including the shutters, only problem i had was the pesky 'bulb out error'. Tried numerous codes to try and resolve it, but no luck.

I then fitted a set of golf R LED rears, changed the coding and the light went out! However, it returned again a few days later.

To cut a long story short, it was all because the software on the BCM was too old, so a very kind person (Mr Golfhappy) offered me a new BCM which was an 87AL which was running a much newer software than my old.

Fitted and coded it all up within an 1.5 hours, and i was really taking my time. It certainly sounds and looks a lot harder than it actually is. The MK6 only has 3 wiring looms going to it, and the only things you need to remove to gain enough access to remove the BCM is the knee air bag (so just disconnect your battery for 10 mins before hand), the little drop down cubby hole near the light switch, and behind the knee air bag is a plastic tube which runs the warm air into the drivers footwell, remove that and you can easily get to all the clips  :wink:

Once fitted, using VCDS, first disable factory mode, and then use the long code helper to insert your code from the original BCM.

Finally, you have to re-assign your keys to the new BCM, literally takes two minutes to do. Theres a step by step video on youtube, or on Rosstechs website theres step by step instructions there too.

Job done.  :laugh: But seriously, if your unsure of anything just ask mate, theres many helpful people on here who can certainly help you out  :smiley:
59' GOLF MK6 GTI | Reflex Silver | APR Stage 1 | Neuspeed P-Flo Intake | 18" Anthracite TD Pro Race 1.2 Alloys | Heated Vienna Leather | RNS 510 | Cruise Control | Bi-Xenon LED DRL Headlights | OEM LED Tails