Author Topic: For valuation purposes  (Read 2679 times)

Offline Justins145bhpMK1

• I live here
For valuation purposes
« on: 07 July 2003, 12:44 »

Hi all.

Just trying to work out what I should agrre the value at on my MK1. Ill describe it below and let me know what you all think.

1983 Campaign (EW chassis) Diamond silver.
Completely original apart from 1.9 TSR engine with Pack C head. No rot whatsoever and never had any welding, couple of rust spots around sunroof and front valance. A little wear in the drivers bolster. 140k ll history since 93. To look at it it looks A1 condition. I got it at a bargain price so not sure what it is worth!!

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Re:For valuation purposes
« Reply #1 on: 07 July 2003, 12:55 »
Just insured my Golf GTI cabriolet with 'footman james' with an agreed value of ?1500, however, I've been led to believe I may have undervalued it  :-\

Offline Justins145bhpMK1

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 07 July 2003, 14:01 »
I was thinking along the lines of ?2000 for mine, im using footman james also, cheap... like the budgie.

Offline VWnut

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 09 July 2003, 10:03 »
I think that even 2k is too cheap for an agreed evalution. I paid ?900 for my mk 1, resprayed it and fitted a recon engine. I replaced various suspension, interior components after which the car was pretty much mint. All in all i spent about ?1800 (including the price of the car).
I was insured with herts at the time and spent ?20 to have an agreed evaluation. I had to send any reciepts and photos i had for them to asses the car and i had to state what i thought the car was worth. I overestimated the value at ?3700 just to push my luck. They wrote back a few days later with an insurance certificate for ?3600 (needless to say i was chuffed).
Your mk1 seems to be a similar spec to mine, it would be worth you going for a higher evaluated price, after all the mk1 is fast becoming a rare classic.

Offline Smith

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 09 July 2003, 10:13 »
VWnut any chance you could post a few pics of your golf?

I just picked a mint Mk1 1.8 for ?750!!!!! P-slots, mint interior no rip in the bolsters, no rust, recon engine 10k ago,MFA, factory fit sunroof!!

I'm just interested to compare.
Cheers

1981 Mint, De Lorean  - For Sale ?2000    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Offline Justins145bhpMK1

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 09 July 2003, 10:31 »
Thats interesting, I shall perhaps consider amending my insurance cover then. Car should be up to mint in about 12 months. Once I have some pictures ill post them up here for you all to see. Its one tasty campaign!!!

Offline VWnut

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 09 July 2003, 13:13 »
Sounds spot on mate, origional mk1's are well worth there money. I'll dig some pictures out of mine. I had it in the 11/00 edition of performanc VW mag in the readers rides section.