Author Topic: Exausting Question  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Justins145bhpMK1

• I live here
Exausting Question
« on: 27 June 2003, 10:18 »
Hello again all.

As you may have guessed from my flurry of questions I have quite a bit to do on my newly accquired MK1 Campaign.

Firstly a big thumbs up to this site, been really helpful already, there is obviously a lot of knowledge out there from you guys.

Right, the car I have bought has been well maintained by an enthusiast since 93, it has a few mods including a supesprint exhaust system. Im not overly entustiastic about the back box as I dont want a boy racer look, im 30 for gods sake!!

Does anyone know about these exhausts, are they any good?? More importantly can I whip off the back box and replace with a standard unit without any fitting probs?? It has a complete supersprint system.

Cheers dudes your making my resto project a lot easier!!!

Offline VWaxilMK1cab

• Not said much yet
  • 1992 mk1 cabrio gti
Re:Exausting Question
« Reply #1 on: 03 July 2003, 00:09 »
Hello again all.

As you may have guessed from my flurry of questions I have quite a bit to do on my newly accquired MK1 Campaign.

Firstly a big thumbs up to this site, been really helpful already, there is obviously a lot of knowledge out there from you guys.

Right, the car I have bought has been well maintained by an enthusiast since 93, it has a few mods including a supesprint exhaust system. Im not overly entustiastic about the back box as I dont want a boy racer look, im 30 for gods sake!!

Does anyone know about these exhausts, are they any good?? More importantly can I whip off the back box and replace with a standard unit without any fitting probs?? It has a complete supersprint system.

Cheers dudes your making my resto project a lot easier!!!

Hiya matey,
SuperSprint Exhausts are OK, they're not excellent, but are a good quality stainless steel replacement unit. and should have a lifetime guarentee.
You said it's a full system, you mean from the bottom of the downpipe backwards?
If it is full system, you will have problems replacing just the backbox, as the bore of the centre section will be bigger than a standard exhausts bore.
You could try swapping the full system with a golfgti.co.uk user for their standard xhaust? or you could make a reducer pipe to fit on a standard box.

Personally (and it doesn't matter if your 30 or 50!) I'd keep it as it is, the backbox will be nice and shiney, making the car look better, it will help the engine gasses flow better too.

How about posting a pic of it, so we can pass judgement. (as to whether you're getting old before your time!! ;) ;D)

Take it easy!

Chris.

Offline Justins145bhpMK1

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 03 July 2003, 10:46 »
Cheers for the info, I have decided to keep the supersprint exhaust now, you are right its nice n shiny!!!!!

Pics on the way soon!!!

Offline VWaxilMK1cab

• Not said much yet
  • 1992 mk1 cabrio gti
« Reply #3 on: 05 July 2003, 01:06 »
nice1, you know it makes sense!

If u decide u wanna swap at any point! I'll swap with ya!! ;)