Author Topic: focal speaker mk6 upgrade kit info  (Read 11774 times)

Offline elephantjuice

• Not said much yet
Re: focal speaker mk6 upgrade kit info
« Reply #20 on: 01 April 2014, 13:26 »
BUMP

Been looking into upgrading the audio in my GTI whilst keeping things as 'stock' as possible (keep head unit, don't want amps + subs taking up space, etc) and been recommended these by a local car audio shop, supplied and fitted for £270.  From my limited research this sounds reasonable, although obviously it would be nice to hear them before I take the plunge but that won't happen.

They do sound as though they fit the bill as I'm only really after more clairty, a bit more volume with improved bass, so can anybody with 'hands (ears) on' experience sway me one way or the other?

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 01 April 2014, 17:16 »
This focal kit looks very interesting. As said before has anyone got these fitted/ heard them?

Edit : Found a few Aussie reviews hear. Most people seem to rate them:
http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread.php?12744-DIY-Focal-IFVW-Golf-MK6-Speaker-kit
« Last Edit: 01 April 2014, 17:24 by seabrook132 »

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline elephantjuice

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 02 April 2014, 11:17 »
I bit the bullet and booked in to get them fitted on Saturday.  I'll post impressions when done.

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 02 April 2014, 13:20 »
Well done for taking the plunge! Look forward to hearing your thoughts

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline wanderer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 05 April 2014, 23:06 »
I bit the bullet and booked in to get them fitted on Saturday.  I'll post impressions when done.

Did you get them fitted today? Any feedback would be very welcome.

Offline elephantjuice

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 05 April 2014, 23:24 »
Yup, got them fitted today at In Car Emporium in Bradford.

I am by no means an audiophile but even to my untrained ears it's a big leap in audio quality from the stock speakers. Considering these are still only powered by the stock head unit it's impressive just how much further these speakers can be pushed.  Not just that but the clarity is far superior too, especially the deeper bass and richer mids. 

I haven't spent enough time with them to fully appreciate them yet but so far I'd happily recommend to others if you're the kind of person looking for enhanced sound quality without sacrificing space and on a relatively modest budget.  As long as you're not expecing earth shattering bass and ear bleeding volume I suspect you'd be happy with the Focals.

Offline wanderer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 05 April 2014, 23:45 »

I am by no means an audiophile but even to my untrained ears it's a big leap in audio quality from the stock speakers. Considering these are still only powered by the stock head unit it's impressive just how much further these speakers can be pushed.  Not just that but the clarity is far superior too, especially the deeper bass and richer mids. 

I haven't spent enough time with them to fully appreciate them yet but so far I'd happily recommend to others if you're the kind of person looking for enhanced sound quality without sacrificing space and on a relatively modest budget.  As long as you're not expecing earth shattering bass and ear bleeding volume I suspect you'd be happy with the Focals.

Thats exactly what i needed to hear, thanks for the feedback.

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 07 April 2014, 11:01 »

Them guys are about a minutes drive from my house. Had a few dealing with them, usually pretty rude.
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline elephantjuice

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 07 April 2014, 11:32 »
@RR

Quite surprised to hear that.  They were perfectly fine with me, polite and helpful.

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 07 April 2014, 11:42 »
Hmm it's sounding promising so far. How well does the plastic on the tweeters match the original plastics around the rest of the cabin just out of interest? Could you maybe get some pics up of the install?   :huh: