Author Topic: Whats the point in the MK6 GTI when there's Scirocco R  (Read 11203 times)

Offline maxamus

• I live here
Doesn't look too bad. Certainly has more presence than the MK6 GTI.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/2009/top-2009-Volkswagen-Scirocco-R.htm

261bhp against the 210bhp GTI

Seems an odd move for VW. Even the R20, which is suppose to be 270bhp looks pretty weak against it.......

/discuss

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: Whats the point in the MK6 GTI when there's Scirocco R
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2009, 22:55 »
Rocco only has 4 seats and the boot opening is much smaller. The Golf is more practicle and comes in 5 door as well. I think the Rocco may take a few 3 door GTI sales but not many. At least they'll still be buying a dub and not an astra or focus!

nick

Offline maxamus

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2009, 23:02 »
Well, personally, i think VW have screwed up with the MK6 GTI. Overpriced. Underpowered. Really hasnt moved on much from the MK5 which i own. I've got a test drive on Saturday so will see what its like. Needless to say, i doubt i will be ordering. Think im more inclined for a 2nd hand S3 or R32.

Offline Martz

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2009, 23:03 »
Had a fair few roccos come in at work and I love em especially in white. MK6, as above, practical and fun with good looks.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2009, 00:10 »
The TTRS is better than them both too, so whats the point of the Scir R ?

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline maxamus

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2009, 06:09 »

The TTRS cost alot more though so it cant be considered in the same group

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2009, 13:06 »

Ok cool, well as your going by bhp, just because the scir R is faster, doesnt mean its better.

There's an awful lot of people out there that cant wait to have a dig at the mk6 GTi.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline TagnuT

• I live here
  • Edition 30
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2009, 14:41 »

Price – £44,885 TTRS Roadster  :smiley:
Bye Bye Edition 30

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2009, 14:46 »
There's an awful lot of people out there that cant wait to have a dig at the mk6 GTi.

Disagree, people aren't trying to have a dig. I think a lot of people, especially MK5 owners, are a tad disappointed at the lack of improvement made in the MK6 when compared to the MK5. I mean just look at the difference between MK4 and MK5 !

Offline andykram

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2009, 17:21 »
I suppose since I'm one of those people who've just come to VW from another marque and have ordered a Mark 6 GTi that I'm ideally suited to answer this question. It pained me a little to have to pay more for the GTi but I bought it for a few reasons over the Sciocco which, incidentally, I also loved.
1. I liked the look of the GTi more (admittedly that's a subjective thing)
2. The Scirocco only has 4 seats
3. The boot on the Scirocco won't hold anything significant without ponsing around putting the seats down.
4. I'd always wanted a GTi ever since I drove the Mark 5 at launch (was just never in a position to buy one of those).
So overall it's really just the practicality of it and (for me) the looks. VW are, therefore, very clever because they've effectively forced me into spending an extra 2 or 3 grand as they know full well the Scirocco is a compromise in practical terms for many people - in my case I didn't really have a choice as to which of the two to buy.