Author Topic: What to do with my 120k MK7...?  (Read 3809 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: What to do with my 120k MK7...?
« Reply #20 on: 09 November 2023, 21:01 »
It sounds to me like the perfect time to buy a Cupra Leon estate.
Plenty of room for prams and baby stuff, still quick, still familiar VW group running gear and interior bits and…

… on 0% interest.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 27 November 2023, 14:51 »
What other items would be worth checking / replacing while the car is apart?
2013 Golf GTI (PP) Tornado Red
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 28 November 2023, 20:54 »
While the car is up in the air with the suspension in bits it’d be well worth checking all the bushes, exhaust hangers, boots and wheel bearings for cracking, play etc.
As for the engine, whilst they’re doing the leaks it’s a matter of visual inspection of everything to see if anything is perishing or worn but you’d not expect anything too drastic at that age.
Oh, and new wiper blades DIY fit ready for winter! 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 29 November 2023, 11:13 »
I would expect a car like the Golf to do easily more than 120,000 miles. Or are cars so much more badly built than they were in the 90's and 00's?
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline Gulfstream11

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 29 November 2023, 15:49 »
I would expect a car like the Golf to do easily more than 120,000 miles. Or are cars so much more badly built than they were in the 90's and 00's?

Good to know seeing my 7 PP has just turned 60.  :cool:

Previous rides..MKIV 1.8T   MKIV PD150  MK5 GTI MK5 edition30 now MK7 GTI PP

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 29 November 2023, 16:24 »

I’d not describe a few leaky oil seals as a car at the end of its life.
Engine oil seals can and always have had a chance of failing at any point. Some cars never develop (significant) oil leaks and others do. Very thin modern oils will creep through anywhere there’s a slight weakness developed. And DCC dampers are overly complicated and prone to leaks.

By 120k I’d expect dampers to be well past their optimum operating and springs will have had to deal with potholes, speed humps and road salt so are well worth replacing before one eventually fails if the dampers have to come off anyway. Same for top mounts and if you’re replacing suspension hardware on a sports hatch then doing the geometry it makes sense to replace bushes too to restore tautness. I’d have done (and indeed have done!) the same on a 1990’s or noughties car as much as a more complex modern car.

The biggest weakness of modern cars are the expensive to replace and in some cases legally required electronics. Manufacturing tolerances have vastly improved over the years, so engines and turbos can go on for big mileages, but there’s no doubt there have been a cheapening of other components over the years, things like plastic sumps and inlet manifolds on some cars as an example.

You could get away with replacing much less if you’re Mr Average but if you’re Mr Jollygood you want your car tip top not just “should get you through until the next MOT mate”.
Preventative maintenance is something car enthusiasts will pay attention to where affordable whereas your average drive won’t give a damn so long as the MOT tester is satisfied. Shame the NHS don’t work in the same way as it would save them a heap of money in the long run too.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 29 November 2023, 18:28 »
This is a great topic given my impression that many more 7 and 7.5 owners are going to hang on to their babies contrasting with the “old days” when we would have been going for the next mark up when it came out.
I have changed “up” every two years since my first Mk6 but here I am heading for 5 years and nothing I see tempts me.
I had a brief “extra- marital” flirtation with a beautiful Giulia this year but came to my senses. You can look but don’t touch.
Came to my senses and walked away from Italian temptation.
I will find it interesting to see how many owners are running their cars way up the age and mileage charts.
I’m a long way off at 38,000 miles but I can see me at double that age and mileage going for a mild renewal of things that will just tighten up and revitalise the car.
One simple thing is a 4 wheel realignment. Got one done at 35,000 to find the steering wheel sat a few degrees out and all 4 wheels needed serious restoration to factory spec.
My local tyre depot charged me £25 for the service.
As I said, little things keep the car in tip top condition and expect more significant renewals at 75 to 100K.
The way I look after my engine would hope for a very long life. I know the joker is electricals but every car owner is in the same boat, new or old!
I would reiterate my previous posts in saying this is the most reliable car I have ever owned or run. And I’m not going to let on how long I have been driving…….
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 29 November 2023, 18:58 »
I'll say it now, the CSS lightweight bits will become very sought after for the mk7's, as these car age and long term owners get more tempted by upgrades while they're doing the general rejuvenation work to the suspension.

Bar the fact mine is currently eating coil packs (or possible a HPFP / LPFP issue), mines going well, I do regret selling the 18inch Belvederes though far more enjoyable than 19s.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Splodge

• Just got here
« Reply #28 on: 08 December 2023, 10:02 »
Thanks for this thread and the replies, very informative. Just bought a 2015 GTI PP with 90k miles (I don't do many annual miles now) and starting a list of jobs. Had a couple of Golfs, Audis and Polos in the past.

Offline uzinusa

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 08 December 2023, 11:44 »
Interesting thread and thanks for starting it.

I've been the happy owner of 2013 PP 2-door with DSG, DCC and 95k on the clock.  The car has been brilliant! Waterpump replaced under warranty, a new PCV manifold valve and rear-wheel speed sensor this year.  Other than that, nothing wrong whatsoever. I've used the DCC a fair bit. Car just flew through MOT. Think I'm keeping this one for a good while longer.
GTI PP 3 door, DSG, Carbon Grey Metalic, DCC, Keyless, Discover Pro