Author Topic: What to do with my 120k MK7...?  (Read 3810 times)

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
Re: What to do with my 120k MK7...?
« Reply #10 on: 07 November 2023, 18:28 »
My 2 pence worth @MrJollygood is if you: like the car, it puts a smile on your face, you can't think on what you'd swop it for and it's safe to drive. Then I'd be inclined to keep it and maintain it for a while yet.

Yes of course you could replace it with another car, but I sometimes think better the devil you know.  A new or newer car is no guarantee of troublefree motoring, all the things you've fixed and repaired may appear on the new one :whistle:.  Of course there comes a point where it becomes uneconomic to repair a car, and that may be strengthened if you've had no end of issues and are bored with it.  But that doesn't appear to be the case from what I can tell, plus I think you've got a fair few miles left in her yet.

I agree with willni and SRGTD that the UK does seem to have rather a snobbish view on high mileage vehicles.  If they've been maintained and looked after with a good service record. Then in my opinion that gives more confidence than low mileage car with a limited or non-existent maintenance history.

I too have a rather high mileage GTI, a 2009 Mk6 that I bought in 2013 with 25k on the clock at the time. 

Willni's correct with the car wibbles around the 100k mile mark.  Had a couple then (timing chain pop anyone!  :grin:) Though mine was more at 160k mile (turbo seals and rear main seal).  After than she's been fine, sitting at 213k miles now.  Still on original DCC shocks which I too was quoted about £250 a corner if they 'went'.

Decision is of course yours, but I'm sure the car's still good for a while longer yet.
« Last Edit: 07 November 2023, 18:32 by Bluto »
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 08 November 2023, 13:47 »
Wondering what else could 'go' soon...or is worth changing out while I'm having the oil leaks repaired.

I'm still on the orginal clutch...!

2013 Golf GTI (PP) Tornado Red
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 08 November 2023, 15:16 »
My mk6 is on 98k and had from new. Only recent issue was the dmf, not the clutch. Been cheap on repairs until then. Intend to keep it as still a good daily runner and know what will require some tlc before long. Agree with Bluto et al that often better with a car with history you know rather than take a chance and repeat repairs on a newer car as you still seem happy with your present one.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 08 November 2023, 19:02 »
Difficult decision indeed.

Fix oil leaks and replace any ancillaries that may as well be replaced whilst everything is disassembled.
Then add four Bilstein B4’s at around £300 with discounts, a set of standard VW springs (£500?) as they’ll be past their best at 120k, plus any bushes as they’ll be worn too, as will the top mounts.
Then geometry set up.
Quite a hefty bill!

But less ££££ than to change car, and if you were doing that you’d want to get a new(ish) vehicle to ensure you’re not going to face any unexpected repairs in the near future and backed up by a proper VW warranty.

It sounds like the car does a decent commute and with winter approaching you’ll need something you can rely on day in and day out. There’s no reason your existing GTI can’t still be that reliable workhorse for years to come with regular high quality maintenance.

A friend of mine has a 167k mile mk5 GTI that continues to happily do 15k a year, but it does have a regular slot booked in most months on the ramps of the local VW indie. Oil changed every 5k and bits dying of old age reasonably frequently (bear in mind his car is about seven years older than yours). Funnily enough he’s in the process of getting ready for a suspension overhaul too.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 09 November 2023, 09:35 »
Difficult decision indeed.

Fix oil leaks and replace any ancillaries that may as well be replaced whilst everything is disassembled.
Then add four Bilstein B4’s at around £300 with discounts, a set of standard VW springs (£500?) as they’ll be past their best at 120k, plus any bushes as they’ll be worn too, as will the top mounts.
Then geometry set up.
Quite a hefty bill!

But less ££££ than to change car, and if you were doing that you’d want to get a new(ish) vehicle to ensure you’re not going to face any unexpected repairs in the near future and backed up by a proper VW warranty.

It sounds like the car does a decent commute and with winter approaching you’ll need something you can rely on day in and day out. There’s no reason your existing GTI can’t still be that reliable workhorse for years to come with regular high quality maintenance.

Yep, it's not an easy decision.

It's my daily commuter so yes it does need to be realiable. I do around 20k a year and rely on it a lot. Weekend / trackday fun is served by a two seater from Stuttgart, so the Golf doesn't get used in anger very often apart from the occasional B-road run when the other half isn't with me.

Like you said, all the work it needs is probably going to cost ££££, yet if I was changing it (let's say I'm lucky and get 8k for it) then I'd need to add that again to get something halfway new - and might just inherit other people's problems.

Other option I guess is sell it and then take out a lease on something new...

1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 09 November 2023, 10:42 »
I've traditionally taken a 'buy new(ish), maintain it well and run it till it drops' approach though have been leasing for the last few years. Last car I owned (Renault) did 180k with very little outlay - until it finally gave up the ghost at which point I donated to charity.

I do a lot of motorway miles which is easier on engines & gearboxes. I will probably be re-entering the ownership world soon (when I can decide what to buy...!) and will be wanting at least 200k out of the next one.

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 09 November 2023, 11:14 »
Same here - never leased before, always buy 3-4 years old, maintain well and run it until for as long as possible.

I don't like renting or leasing things generally - like to own things outright if I can. Maybe that's an old fashioned view these days...

1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 09 November 2023, 11:28 »
Same here - never leased before, always buy 3-4 years old, maintain well and run it until for as long as possible.

I don't like renting or leasing things generally - like to own things outright if I can. Maybe that's an old fashioned view these days...

I started leasing more or less by accident as needed reliable wheels at short notice. I was doing an awful lot of miles so made sense to continue. Leasing has become a lot more expensive recently and my annual mileage has dropped a bit so makes sense for me to go back to ownership - I still do mostly motorway miles so thinking maybe diesel.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 09 November 2023, 12:12 »
At 20k miles a year surely leasing doesn't make sense?

https://www.selectcarleasing.co.uk/car-leasing/volkswagen/golf/hatchback/20-tsi-320-r-4motion-5dr-dsg?mileage=20000&term=24&initial_payment=9

Using a Golf R here as an example as it's closest to the current GTI, Roughly £5k down then £540 a month for 2 years / £545 for 4 years, roughly similar so £12,960-£26,160.

Obviously there's better deals and different cars to choose from, but you'd spend £18k for 2 years driving or £31k for 4 years driving, with no asset at the end to trade into something else.

At that point I'd say I could've spent the £1-3k to fix the issues of the current GTI, have it still in service for 2 years and have the £15k (if the 2 year lease was chosen) to add to the GTI to buy something nice outright. (and if you still like the current GTI you could put a new engine in and still save money)

Leasing / PCP only benefits those doing low miles or get a great offer from your workplace to go electric.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 09 November 2023, 13:25 »
Thanks for that. This is why I've never considered leasing before, but need to look at the sums more closely as you've shown.

My decision is somewhat complicated by the fact that I need a reliable daily for the 60 mile tround trip to work (currently the GTI) I already have something for the weekends from Stuttgart tucked away in the garage.

We're expecting out first little one soon so I need a family car too...that will prob be more like 5-8k a year so a lease for that might work.

« Last Edit: 09 November 2023, 13:46 by MrJollygood »
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S