Author Topic: Disabling Keyless entry 7.5 Gti  (Read 4851 times)

Offline Legacywr

• Not said much yet
Disabling Keyless entry 7.5 Gti
« on: 20 April 2023, 18:10 »
Is it possible to disable the keyless entry on my 7.5 Gti?

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
Re: Disabling Keyless entry 7.5 Gti
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2023, 19:10 »
I know you can program out the door locks but I don’t think anyone has found out how to disable the boot lock

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2023, 19:43 »
You can temporarily disable keyless on later / newer cars by following the procedure outlined in the owners manual. Essentially, when you get out of the car and close the doors, press the ‘lock’ button on the key fob, and within 5 seconds touch the lock sensor depression on the door handle. Keyless should now be disabled and the car shouldn’t unlock when touching / gripping the inside surface of the door handle - you need to press the ‘unlock’ button on the key fob to unlock the car as you would on a car without keyless entry. It’s necessary to repeat this process each time the car is locked - no great hardship IMHO as it’s not that different to the process for locking (and unlocking) a non-keyless car.

The function to disable keyless as per above doesn’t work on older cars (I don’t know if it works on early mk7.5’s), and it’s necessary to repeat the process each time you lock the car.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 21 April 2023, 12:26 »
You can temporarily disable keyless on later / newer cars by following the procedure outlined in the owners manual. Essentially, when you get out of the car and close the doors, press the ‘lock’ button on the key fob, and within 5 seconds touch the lock sensor depression on the door handle. Keyless should now be disabled and the car shouldn’t unlock when touching / gripping the inside surface of the door handle - you need to press the ‘unlock’ button on the key fob to unlock the car as you would on a car without keyless entry. It’s necessary to repeat this process each time the car is locked - no great hardship IMHO as it’s not that different to the process for locking (and unlocking) a non-keyless car.

The function to disable keyless as per above doesn’t work on older cars (I don’t know if it works on early mk7.5’s), and it’s necessary to repeat the process each time you lock the car.

Did this every day for 3 years on my GTI TCR (MK 7.5) and works a treat, no need for Faraday etc, its a fob press to open

Did not option keyless on my 128Ti but it does have keyless start, which is bit do like keyless.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2023, 12:50 »
Did this every day for 3 years on my GTI TCR (MK 7.5) and works a treat, no need for Faraday etc, its a fob press to open

Did not option keyless on my 128Ti but it does have keyless start, which is bit do like keyless.

I do this too.

If keyless wasn’t part of the standard spec on my car I’d never have paid extra for it and I could easily (and would much prefer to) live without it.
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 21 April 2023, 15:13 »
As above, I hate keyless entry. My MY2019 should have be a MY2018 but it got caught up in the WLTP fiasco so I missed keyless being standard (got everything else) - didn’t complain.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 21 April 2023, 16:10 »
I wasn't bothered by keyless but must admit I do like not having keys dangling from the column. And I do like pressing the start button! As above, I also disable it each time I lock it, not a chore and quickly becomes second nature.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline skippy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 22 April 2023, 18:03 »
A few weeks back I got 'stranded' at the local shopping centre when the key fob died and I could neither lock or start the car.

Fortunately for me, as I was at a shopping centre I could go into the nearest shop (leaving the car unlocked  :shocked:) and buy a replacement CR2025 battery despite having spares back at home.

Bought new battery, but try getting into one of these so called blister packs without scissors or a knife almost proved impossible. Only brute force with house keys got it open.

Managed to resolve it, and my own stupid fault as the car had warned on the dash to replace battery, but only a few days warning before it went!

Morale of the story, replace that battery asap to avoid massive inconvenience.

Battery only lasts max 1 year with keyless.
MK7.5 2020, Isaac Blue, standard spec

Gone but certainly not forgotten Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TSI

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 22 April 2023, 18:26 »
You know you can open the door with the actual key right? And start the car by putting the key fob next to the place where you would put a ignition switch, so when batteries die, so when batteries die you can open and drive

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 22 April 2023, 18:33 »
A few weeks back I got 'stranded' at the local shopping centre when the key fob died and I could neither lock or start the car.

Fortunately for me, as I was at a shopping centre I could go into the nearest shop (leaving the car unlocked  :shocked:) and buy a replacement CR2025 battery despite having spares back at home.

Bought new battery, but try getting into one of these so called blister packs without scissors or a knife almost proved impossible. Only brute force with house keys got it open.

Managed to resolve it, and my own stupid fault as the car had warned on the dash to replace battery, but only a few days warning before it went!

Morale of the story, replace that battery asap to avoid massive inconvenience.

Battery only lasts max 1 year with keyless.

You should be able to start the car when the fob battery’s dead by holding the key fob next to the key symbol on the steering column (place it where the ignition keyhole would be on a non-keyless car). You can also manually lock and unlock the car from the concealed keyhole on the driver’s door handle. You need to remove the small cover off the end of the door handle nearest the rear door; there’s a slot on the underside of the handle that you can insert the key blade into to prise the cover off, being careful not to damage the paintwork!

I always disable keyless and my fob battery lasted two years - my fobs were fitted with CR2032 batteries from new. I keep a spare key in the car and another in my wallet so I’m hopefully prepared - that’s assuming the spare batteries don’t deteriorate being kept in the car and my wallet!
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk