Author Topic: MK8 Clubsport owner from Sweden (and USA)  (Read 930 times)

Offline Astrand

• Just got here
MK8 Clubsport owner from Sweden (and USA)
« on: 14 February 2023, 07:59 »
Hi everyone!

Hope it is now frowned upon to join as a non-UK member? I have perusing vwvortex for years, but have found it difficult to find any clubsport-related topics and eventually found my way to your forum via Google.

I have a 2021 MK8 GTI Clubsport which I bought used in January 2022, so I've been an owner for just over a year. I moved to Sweden in 2014 (for a girl, now my wife). In USA (New Orleans) I owned a 2012 Golf TDI 6spd (which was repurchased by VW during diesel-gate for almost full purchase price), a 2007 Jetta GLI 6spd and a 1994 Jetta VR6 (which was my 2nd car).

It feels quite special to live in the EU and be able to own a EU-specific model -- as my VW buddies back in the states are quite jealous  :cool:.

Anyways, thank you for the membership and I hope to have nice discussions with others here.

Have a great week everyone,
//Alex

Obligatory photos:

With winter wheels & our Welsh Corgi  :smiley:

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
Re: MK8 Clubsport owner from Sweden (and USA)
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2023, 08:47 »
Welcome. Interesting history, especially on the VW Buy-Back. All we are offered in the UK are ambulance chasing scam ‘solicitors’ offering dubious claim schemes😂

BTW, where are you in Sweden? I spent some time working in Stockholm, loved it.
« Last Edit: 14 February 2023, 08:49 by Adam T7 »
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Astrand

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2023, 12:50 »
Welcome. Interesting history, especially on the VW Buy-Back. All we are offered in the UK are ambulance chasing scam ‘solicitors’ offering dubious claim schemes😂

BTW, where are you in Sweden? I spent some time working in Stockholm, loved it.

Hi Adam!

The buy back was what I call "great luck", because I had the car in storage, in New Orleans, and was paying was "parked insurance" for the first two years in Sweden -- as I was not 100% sure if I would be staying; But then I received the buyback letters and flew back to USA to sell the car to VW.

And I live in Stockholm (In one of the suburbia areas south of Stockholm - via the "pendeltåg"/commuter train. I've been here almost 9 years now, so yeah safe to say I am enjoying my time here  :smug:

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2023, 13:27 »
Used to stay very close to Gamla stan, needless to say, spent most of my evenings there😄
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Astrand

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2023, 16:15 »
Used to stay very close to Gamla stan, needless to say, spent most of my evenings there😄

Ah yes, I am quite fond of Gamla Stan. I proposed to my wife there and we had our reception at Grillska Huset.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2023, 16:47 »

Ah yes, I am quite fond of Gamla Stan. I proposed to my wife there and we had our reception at Grillska Huset.
👍

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2023, 19:35 »
Welcome Astrand  :smiley:

Lovely looking Clubsport  :cool:

You sound very interesting so we won’t frown upon you  :laugh:

We welcome overseas members, and it’s always really good to hear about GTI’s in different markets as it paints a much bigger picture than our little corner of Europe so I’m sure you’ll have lots to offer us RHD lot!

I too have a white Clubsport btw and also had VR6’s back in the day  :smiley:
Unfortunately my only connections to Sweden are some self-assembly furniture  :whistle: 😁
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner