Author Topic: Dicovery Nav Pro Sound...  (Read 2590 times)

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
Dicovery Nav Pro Sound...
« on: 06 February 2015, 17:24 »
I have to admit I have come from a mk6 with RCD510 or RNS510 and Dynaudio and in comparison the sound that comes out of the DNP is pants. Its flat and lifeless, are there any VCDS tweaks you can do to make it sound better. I am glad in a way that I have an R to make up for it with the growls and pops. Anyone else have a view? (music via USB hard disk, same music used in the mk6).
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Dicovery Nav Pro Sound...
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2015, 17:48 »
Have you tried changing the settings on the nav pro? I really don't see why everyone complains about the standard sound it's absolutely fine.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2015, 17:55 »
I can only see bass, middle and treble. Are there any more than that?
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2015, 18:27 »
CMS, DNS and DNS Pro shove out 4x20watts (probably not RMS power so not much grunt to drive the bass/mid units) to rather rubbish loudspeakers, especially the tweeters. To my ears they sounded dire. It is one of the reasons I cancelled my first order for the R as it would have come without Dynaudio. Plug and Play was also not to my liking as the bass unit would sit in the spare wheel well without the spare in situ.

Plug and Play does improve the sound considerably but it seems after sometime, it has been reported, the standard tweeters get ragged and need changing.

If you go to the 7R forum, I started a thread called 'Alternatives to VW Plug and Play System'. Gives you some options of changing the speakers, different amps etc.

Here is the link:
http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/5698-alternatives-to-vw-plug-and-play-system/

« Last Edit: 06 February 2015, 18:37 by am1w »
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 06 February 2015, 18:49 »
CMS, DNS and DNS Pro shove out 4x20watts (probably not RMS power so not much grunt to drive the bass/mid units) to rather rubbish loudspeakers, especially the tweeters. To my ears they sounded dire. It is one of the reasons I cancelled my first order for the R as it would have come without Dynaudio. Plug and Play was also not to my liking as the bass unit would sit in the spare wheel well without the spare in situ.

Plug and Play does improve the sound considerably but it seems after sometime, it has been reported, the standard tweeters get ragged and need changing.

If you go to the 7R forum, I started a thread called 'Alternatives to VW Plug and Play System'. Gives you some options of changing the speakers, different amps etc.

Here is the link:

I am on there as TechieAli will have a read. I just realise there is no bass its so flat, its like the Freq response at the low level is around 80hz or something rather than down at the 20-30Hz range. There does seem to be too much treble.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 06 February 2015, 18:57 »

Here is the link:

I am on there as TechieAli will have a read. I just realise there is no bass its so flat, its like the Freq response at the low level is around 80hz or something rather than down at the 20-30Hz range. There does seem to be too much treble.

I know. :wink:

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 06 February 2015, 19:01 »
Figured so, not too hard to figure out same photos.  :wink: Any ideas if there is an amp on the standard system and whether there is a loom connector lying in the boot somewhere if you could source a sub from somewhere?

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 06 February 2015, 19:13 »
Figured so, not too hard to figure out same photos.  :wink: Any ideas if there is an amp on the standard system and whether there is a loom connector lying in the boot somewhere if you could source a sub from somewhere?

I am not too sure, but I think the amp is built-in into the DNS Pro. Remember I still don't have my R! I also don't think there is a connector in the boot to connect a sub. Re-wiring is required just as it does with Plug & Play.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 06 February 2015, 19:34 »
How loud do you guys actually have your music turned up when driving?

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 06 February 2015, 19:36 »
Sounds alright to me, but then I'm partially deaf in one ear, so what do I know  :grin: :whistle:
Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special