Author Topic: Colour Choice  (Read 10991 times)

Offline hastd2

• Here all the time
  • Gti the Ultimate Hot Hatch...
Colour Choice
« on: 01 February 2015, 11:03 »
Guys as you are aware am in the process of getting a replacement Gti for my problems over the past year with my own Gti PP
My current Gti is Pure White, but I have placed the new order with Tornado Red, but now since I have had a few days to look about am now thinking of changing to Carbon Grey  :whistle:

The car is at stage 2 just now so am guessing I still have time to change the colour if I wanted?

Thoughts???

Build Week 11.04.16 - 2016 Mk7 Golf R, Lapiz Blue 5 door manual, 12 months R/Tax, 2 yrs free service, full tank of fuel, sure guard, and private plate transfer

2015 Mk7 Gti 5 DR, Carbon Steel Grey, Performance Pack, Keyless Entry, Vienna Leather, and Sat Nav.

2013 Mk7 Gti 5 DR, Pure White, Performance Pack, Keyless Entry, Vienna Leather, and Sat Nav.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Colour Choice
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2015, 11:25 »
You don't see the red GTI accents on a red car so leave red to the lease car favourites in the range.
Carbon looks great, and is a unique GTI/D colour. It will show off the red accents really well too.
I'm also a fan of the rarer tungsten silver.

(But White is still my fave colour on a GTI, VWs advertising dept know a thing or two...)

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2015, 11:31 »
If I had to choose again I'd definitely consider reflex silver. Think it really suits the GTI

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2015, 11:45 »
Saw a carbon grey GTI yesterday and it looked stunning, red stripe really stood out. I have had 2 tornado red GTI's and whilst they look great when clean, the red stripe is a little hidden.
Mk6 GTI, 18" monza shadows, Leather, Bluetooth Phone - gone

Mark 7 R, 19" wheels, lapiz blue, 5 door, leather, reversing camera - gone

2018 Audi S5 Sportback, pano roof, LED Headlights  B&O sound system - gone

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2015, 11:49 »
The worst thing about GTI/GTD/R waits - the temptation to change your order.

I have a red GTD and I think it looks great, but when I was ordering an R I didn't consider red, doesn't suit the R IMO (someone else will love the R in red). Colour is as personal choice as you can get.

Changing colour may push your estimated build week back, unless you only ordered literally a few weeks ago.

I think there's more risk of getting pushed back with switching to an exclusive colour like Carbon Steel Grey on a GTI/GTD or Lapiz Blue on an R, they're likely to be made fewer and farther between, in campaigns once or twice a month than a colour that every Golf can have (which will probably have it's own permanently dedicated paint booth). If I were ordering a GTI or GTD again it would be the Carbon Steel Grey or Deep Black Pearl for me.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2015, 12:13 »
The problem is, the MK7 looks great in a lot of colours :D

I originally ordered in CSG after spending a lot of time comparing with Night Blue. Within a week or so I switched to the NB as I just saw myself living with the blue for longer - it was easier for me to imagine walking up to and getting into a NB car.

I do like the CSG with the GTI red though.

What is your heart telling you...  :whistle:  :grin:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2015, 12:22 »
Another vote for carbon grey, a stunning, classy colour which suits both the GTI and GTD alike.  I just wish it had been available for the R, as I would have been seriously tempted away from DBP.

For some reason I don't think the DPB suits the GTI, it's to do with the red stripe through the headlights, doesn't look quite right.  You also lose some of the aggressive front detailing against black.

I think the metallic colours (as opposed to pearlescent) make the most of the sharper lines and creases of the mk7.  Never a fan of silver previously but really think it the Reflex Silver suits this GTI.  Solid colours look good but agree that the red stripe gets lost on a red car.

Ultimately it's a subjective thing and you could spend an age umming and ahhing over it, and the numerous conflicting opinions on a forum only make it worse  :grin:

Go with your gut feeling. 

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline hastd2

• Here all the time
  • Gti the Ultimate Hot Hatch...
« Reply #7 on: 01 February 2015, 12:28 »
Guys reading between the lines, carbon grey seems to be the more exclusive choice and more mature colour.
The red strip plus the red gti PP badges will stand out more and make the car more distinctive from the norm :whistle:

I will be in touch with my dealer 2moro and see what he says!!!...I would be in touch today but they are not open on a Sunday, strange :sad:

I just feel the Red isnt special enough, and looks quite plain when you see a Carbon Grey... :undecided:
Build Week 11.04.16 - 2016 Mk7 Golf R, Lapiz Blue 5 door manual, 12 months R/Tax, 2 yrs free service, full tank of fuel, sure guard, and private plate transfer

2015 Mk7 Gti 5 DR, Carbon Steel Grey, Performance Pack, Keyless Entry, Vienna Leather, and Sat Nav.

2013 Mk7 Gti 5 DR, Pure White, Performance Pack, Keyless Entry, Vienna Leather, and Sat Nav.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 01 February 2015, 12:42 »
hastd2: Looks like you've made your mind up, judging by your signature!  :grin:

Saw a CSG GTD yesterday and it looked better than my Red GTD IMO.

Adding to Booth's "DBP doesn't suit GTI because of the red strie through the lights" comment - I think it's more that the red stripe through the headlights looks wrong, not sure why VW wanted to do this rather than keep the headlight s plain and common to both GTI and GTD. The black looks proper stealthy, and doesn't need the grilles/accents to stick out (again IMO).
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2015, 12:52 »
DBP is great, for about 5 minutes after you've cleaned it. Stone chips look horrific too. If I could go again, I reckon I'd go for Tornado Red or White. Red might show off stone chips just as bad as Black but they'd be harder to see on White, only downside to white is how common the colour of car is.

If you're getting an R it's got to be Lapiz.