Author Topic: GTD Engine Idling Speed  (Read 3585 times)

Offline linc-dub

• Here all the time
GTD Engine Idling Speed
« on: 02 February 2012, 21:09 »
Has anyone had any problems with their GTD not idling at the usual 780 rpm (excluding the regeneration cycle)?

My GTD will start up at 780 rpm then run at 980 rpm until the temperature gauge reaches 90 degrees or sometimes will still idle at 980 rpm 15-20 miles into a journey.

The car has been back to the dealers twice and they say the diagnostics says nothing is wrong, the engine is desinged to rev at 980 rpm when there is load on it e.g. heater and lights

What's anyone's views on this - as I'm unhappy with this scenario and having previously owned a 59 plate GTD for 2 years which never did this and my current 61 plater has only done this for 4 weeks?
Picked up 02.09.17 Mk7.5 GTD Isaac Blue, Manual 5 Drs, DCC, Reversing Camera, Keyless, 90% tints, Heated front screen, Mudflaps all round

Sep 2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Carbon Grey, Manual, 5 Drs, DCC, Reversing Camera, Sat Nav, Keyless, Sport & Sound, Mudflaps all round

2013 63 plate Mk7 GTD, Manual, 5 doors, Carbon Grey Metalic, ACC, Reversing Camera, Mudflaps front & rear - Took delivery October 2013

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
Re: GTD Engine Idling Speed
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2012, 02:04 »
Mine idles at 800rpm hot or cold.
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2012, 21:28 »
I have to admit when its cold it will start at 900rpms like on a choke.  It will then settle after a few miles to less than 800, prob 780rpms.   I could use Vagcom to see exactly the revs.  Regen is the 980rpms, maybe yours is stuck doing that? Does the fan run I notice with mine the fan spins (rad one or aircon not sure) to cook the DPF.  I dont think the revs raise even if I turn on all the electric bits.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2012, 10:51 »
I've never noticed if mine has ever done a regen as my idle speed doesn't change but I have noticed when you switch off the cooling fan still runs for a minute. The thing that amazes me is why does the fan run after its switched off. The fan is for extra cooling but if the engine isn't running its producing no heat its only the DPF thats producing the heat and a cooling fan won't cool that down.

We have a new 2008 Seat Leon 1.9 TDI at work and the fan runs all the time on that as soon as you startup from cold. I say new but its 4 years old because it only has 172 miles on the clock and Seat gave it to us.
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2012, 22:14 »
I have admit the fan only runs doing a regen you can feel the heat pouring out from the car. Even if you turn it off whilst its doing it. The heat is immense. I cant believe you haven't noticed it doing a regen at some point.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.