Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2789105 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #2610 on: 24 July 2015, 19:04 »
The tailgating warning light is not just a distance thing though is it?

The minimum gap is determined by speed (presumably because of stopping distance), so maybe with bigger brakes the gap is smaller?

There's some other logic in there as well I think, but quite what you'd probably need to read some Bosche doccos to find...

I'd imagine it works out whether a warning is required based upon speed and distance. The speeds i've been going and the distances spaced should have triggered a white warning, the R brakes aren't that much bigger. It seems very unreliable in giving a white warning when compared to my GTD.

In other news. I notched out the front cap for the rain/light sensor so I could hide my Blackvue front wiring (power and front-back link cable) all the way up to the headlining after the cap. Worked a treat. Then set about getting the magic power box sorted.

All was going great until I realised I have ordered mini-blade add-a-circuit fuse connectors for my power supply! Because the mini fuses are mainly on the edge of the fuse box, there's no room for them to make a decent connection as they are recessed quite deep and the blades can't reach.

Ordered some regular sized ones. All the magic box wiring is hidden and pulled through behind the dash to the glovebox for ease of plugging the add-a-circuit wires when they arrive. I wrapped the power connection between the magic box and cigar lighter plug of the blackvue's main lower lead in bubble wrap so it won't rattle behind the little cubby drawer on the drivers side dash.

This:-

Is tidier than that:-

Replacement cap is about £6 to restore to factory fresh when it is sold. You cant see a trace of wiring elsewhere in the car - so easy to hide it.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #2611 on: 24 July 2015, 22:39 »
Nice work on the camera MH. I keep telling myself I'm going to do the same.

Are you planning on putting a "How to" into the maintenance section at all  :rolleyes:
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2612 on: 25 July 2015, 09:03 »
Nice work on the camera MH. I keep telling myself I'm going to do the same.

Are you planning on putting a "How to" into the maintenance section at all  :rolleyes:

I wasn't planning to, I pretty much took the instructions from http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/8242-installing-a-2-channel-dash-cam-blackvue-dr650gw-2ch/,

but did a better job of hiding the power and link cables by notching out the end cap of the rear view mirror coverings. I used a stanley knife with a brand new blade to cut a shallow notch and then shave/scrape out to the right depth and width to accommodate the 2 leads popping out of it.

I now have a nice tight/flush fit on the wiring conduits between the bootlid and the body on that clip I accidentally snapped, using electricians tape around the edges of the cut-out hole in the bootlid and putting a few layers around the perimeter of the snapped clip area where it would fit into the cut-out. The tape is pliable and moulds itself into the hole for a grip as good as if the clip had not been snapped.

Will definitely be doing the same on the forthcoming A1 for the missus - with a few lessons learnt!
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #2613 on: 26 July 2015, 17:47 »
Well a busy week with the golf this week.

Firstly me and my mate got it up on axle stands and fitted my Milltek resonated cat back exhaust. I wanted the resonated as I'm not 17 any more - quick drive by video of my mate in it...

Well chuffed with it - fit and finish was spot on and it sounds just right!

Then popped into my trusted garage and got them to pop my Eibach Sportlines on with the following results...

Before

and after

Again, glad I got these particular springs - I had Sportlines on my Astra VXR prior to getting this and was always impressed with them.

So added to the DTUK tuning box I've already got on there and the forthcoming wheels (BBS SR), Induction kit (when GrahamFR gets his new one) and GFB DV+ (when it's stops raining) and it'll be pretty much exactly as I want. Anything after that will simply be cosmetic.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2614 on: 27 July 2015, 00:29 »
That looks and sounds so good Gnasher.
:afro:
Simple but very effective mods.

Are you going 18 or 19 on the SR's? Grey or polished face?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #2615 on: 27 July 2015, 05:32 »
That looks and sounds so good Gnasher.
:afro:
Simple but very effective mods.

Are you going 18 or 19 on the SR's? Grey or polished face?

Thanks very much.

Going for 19s in the 'himalayas grey'.  Should arrive this week and then to source some tyres!
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2616 on: 27 July 2015, 09:01 »
That should be a nice sane set of mods there Gnasher. Custom but OEM feel.

I approve :D

I'll be interested to see the wheels on it.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #2617 on: 27 July 2015, 09:30 »
That should be a nice sane set of mods there Gnasher. Custom but OEM feel.

I approve :D

I'll be interested to see the wheels on it.

Cheers - I was after the effect of it being 'tweaked' rather than modified.

My only pet hate with the car has always been the wheels. Never a fan of diamond cut alloys so it was one thing I was keen to change.

I also didn't want to lose what the GTI has always been about, which is a bit more of a 'grown up' hot hatch.

I'll definitely post up some hphotos of it once the wheels are fitted too!

Offline kenny.c

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2618 on: 27 July 2015, 10:23 »
Great choice on the springs......ive had no reason to complain about them.....every now and again with the 19s fitted when going over a hump/lump in the road at speed I sometimes get a little "churp" as what I assume is the tyre just catching the wheel arch liner. No damage to the actual arch...but you can just see a slight scuff on the liner.

Ken
GTI - PP

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #2619 on: 27 July 2015, 11:31 »
Great choice on the springs......ive had no reason to complain about them.....every now and again with the 19s fitted when going over a hump/lump in the road at speed I sometimes get a little "churp" as what I assume is the tyre just catching the wheel arch liner. No damage to the actual arch...but you can just see a slight scuff on the liner.

Ken

Ken - can't see the photo as I'm in work. What 19's are you running (width and ET) and with what size tyres?

Don't know if my 19x8.4 ET46 will now be okay. Not had a rub with my standard 18s yet.