Author Topic: Dub_Dude_16v - mk2 "Slammed Purple Beast"  (Read 4825 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Dub_Dude_16v - mk2 "Slammed Purple Beast"
« on: 05 October 2006, 12:53 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Dub_Dude_16v

• Here all the time
  • Sunny Hertfordshire!
Re: Dub_Dude_16v - mk2 "Slammed Purple Beast"
« Reply #1 on: 05 October 2006, 22:14 »
Thanks JV!  :smiley:

So where do i start... Gonna keep this short and sweet for the first post as i need to get to bed!  :rolleyes:

This project started off by being pulled out of the local scrap yard by my mates for a lovely sum of £100! Was pretty well rotten and the 16v engine needed some work, not to say the car needed some good TLC.

They then set about a one year ordeal of ripping the car apart and bringing it back to life again!  :smiley: (will have to try and get some old pics of him)

The n/s/r arch was totally hit by the rot worm so instead of the arch being replaced the whole rear quarter was cut and replaced. The rear apron was knackered so this too was replaced with a fresh new one. Other new panels consisted of a genuine bonnet, repro front wings from GSF and also sourced front doors complete with smoothed delocked audi 80 door handles.  :cool:

The car was then stripped back to bare metal where it recieved a very thick coat of paint. The paint chosen was BMW Techno Violet. A rather nice metalic purple that also has bits of blue, other shades of purple and gold in it. Looks lovely when polished up but gets dirty quickly and then looks poo!  :angry:

6 Weeks of hard work went into fitting a Corrado dashboard and centre console. I must admit they did a bloody good job! It looks and suits the car so much better than the standard dash. It kind of wraps itself around you with everything in easy reach. The dash had to be cut and new brackets welded in so it wasn't exactly a straight fit to say the least. While the dash was out a complete new custom wiring harness was fitted and neatly tie wrapped and tapped together, although i have some how managed to disturb and ruin it  :grin:

Front recaro electric seats were brought over from Belgium (i believe) out of a left hooker, which are really comfortable. Other little tricks were added too to the interior  :wink:

New big bumpers and a G60 arch kits were chosen along with some uncommon MiM 15" alloys...

More to follow with pics but i gotta chip  :grin:

Offline Dub_Dude_16v

• Here all the time
  • Sunny Hertfordshire!
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2006, 19:23 »
Right found some photos now  :smiley:

Here's the purple beast at VW Action Woodstock back in 2005 about a Month before i purchased it...

Here it is in December 2005 after i had got my mits on it

:grin: Can't trust me with anything!

Well the story actually is as follows. I was coming down an A road in early December on my way to take my girlfriend home. I was following a Transit van and i had a Mondeo behind me ( :sick: ). Anyway get to this bend and Mr Transit indicates right and trys to do a "U" bend but can't quite make it. So he sticks it in reverse and started to back up back across my path. He thought i was slowing down to let him go but i wasn't (i slowed down a wee bit as precaution as i wasn't sure what he was gonna do), but then bang straight into my o/s/f  :cry: I give him his due though because he did admit fault at the scene  :smiley: Oh the car behind didn't stop as a witness  :angry:

So off it went and i didn't see it for 4 Months!!! 4 bloody Month's it took for all the legal sh!t and to be repaired. Any with the extra bit of cash i had left i decided to add a few cosmetic extras...

Here it is at Big Bang 2006 About a Month after i got it back

Not bad eh! Oh and while the car was stored over Winter the salt on the wheels totally ate them for breakfast. So i took my wheels to MaxPowder ( http://www.maxpowderalloys.co.uk/alloy_wheel_refurbs.htm), and he worked wonders on them. Had the dish and the centre painted gloss black and the outer rim polished and they look  :cool: Not bad for £200  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 06 October 2006, 19:24 by Dub_Dude_16v »

Offline Dub_Dude_16v

• Here all the time
  • Sunny Hertfordshire!
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2006, 22:56 »
Here's a pic of the Corrado dashboard  :cool:

Also gone back to standard mirrors and smoked rear lights. (Sunstrip now gone for MOT tomorrow)

Before

After

Much better  :cool:

« Last Edit: 06 October 2006, 22:58 by Dub_Dude_16v »

Offline Dub_Dude_16v

• Here all the time
  • Sunny Hertfordshire!
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2006, 23:00 »
I hear some of your crying but this isn't a project, it's complete!!!

Very true but hold on baby as it's about to go into the bodyshop for some work  :grin: So sit tight and be patient!  :smiley:

Offline Dub_Dude_16v

• Here all the time
  • Sunny Hertfordshire!
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2006, 11:14 »
Well it had it's MOT today and failed sadly  :cry:  :sad:

Failed on the headlights. I must admit these Rallye headlights are rather rubbish at the best of times! Drivers side headlamp is set to LHD  :rolleyes: and both dipped beam don't stay illuminated when main beam is turned on  :huh: So i know what i'm gonna be doing today... Sitting there scratching my head because i haven't a bl@@dy clue what to do  :grin:

Keep ya posted...