Author Topic: Boneybradley's blue Mk3 8v Anniversary!! The keeper?  (Read 55903 times)

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
I've lost the car!!

This doesn't mean I don't want to restore her to former glory and I still have some plans..... but I have got a Passat lined up for my daily (as some will of seen pictured on my facebook) and the anniversary is now getting some use!

I am also looking at going to college and doing car restoration which should help the golf live a bit longer  :undecided: :undecided:
« Last Edit: 06 October 2013, 16:32 by boneybradley »
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
You may need to learn restoration with the mad ruskie driving it! :grin:
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
well after a week of the wife driving the GTI all over (she's done 500 miles!!) she pulled up last night and said it's broken and stuck in 3rd!! (she drove it 10 miles home in this 1 gear!!)

well the clutch pedal has gone to the floor, so luckily i know that means the clutch arm ratchet has failed and is a simple fix. It's a shame you also need to buy the cable clip, green cap and a new cable otherwise it would be a £10 fix (instead of a £80 one)  :angry: :angry:

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
well the clutch fork has being fixed and all in for £80 (inc the 3 parts needed) so ready for vwfestival I've gone over her with a good friends polisher (and didn't burn any paint!  :cool:)

before

with some iffy lacquer! (this was cleaned and clayed before this pic was taken)

and after a days work

it's not perfect but it does look so much better (plus it will have some new paint coming soon!)

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
Well a few essential jobs have being completed and as usual with this car I have found a couple more!!

I now have a full stainless exhaust fitted as the middle box on the old set up was rotten from the inside (and welded to the rest of the exhaust!)
so it's twin pipes out back now

sorry about the small pictures but I used my phone this time and flickr won't resize them!!

whilst underneath I noticed a bit of dreaded rust on the rubber bung holes, some prodding and scrapping revealed these were not rusted through but will need attending to properly before the winter makes them holes!

also I have noticed a few oil drops on the road and that has meant a good clean under the engine as there was oil everywhere (how can a drip create so much mess?) and I think it's the oil cooler mounting and when it get's new oil in a few weeks I will replace the o rings on the housing and hope for the best!

As I am jobless at the year end (although I have some interesting plans for the future!) I am thinking of what car I really want and have decided I want to stay mk3 but does that mean I spend on this one and buy another?
I have worked out a budget of £1500 for this which will make this one a very very good looking Anniversary (subject to no rust under the arches and sills?) and maybe a 1.8t conversion in the future?

Watch this space  :wink:

Offline rich1977

• Here all the time
She's looking very clean  :cool:

Still wish I hadn't got rid
Www.Internet-ink.co.uk voucher code RL15 for 15% off all pens,toners and ink cartridges including cannon Epsom dell and hp.

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
well she a 3 wheeler now!

let's call it wife, high speed overtake and a nearly missed main road exit!!  :lipsrsealed:

lucky it's come at a time when I was looking for some winters (and tryes, which I have found some 195/50x15 uniroyal m&s for under £50 each which is a bargain to me!)

oh and hella all red's (well my old clears with a bit of tint added, they also flash amber!  :cool:)

Offline mark-mk3gti

• I live here
what tint spray did you use? they look exactly like all reds! I saw you posting on chris's post earlier, and thought they looked spot on! :)

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
I just used the cheapest i could find on ebay, the indicators do shine a bit off amber but we will see if mr plod tells me off before changing to green bulbs!  :undecided:

but here's how the red's look

I have had the car on the ramps and all the suspension seems to be fine, although the tracking is slightly off! I also checked the state of the jacking points and as the wife's jacked it using the widow maker it has destroyed the sill, so it's time for some under neath work and I'm going to get both jacking points redone and strengthened before the ice comes.
I have also noticed a bit of rust at the driver side wing bottom, so I'm going to get the liner and arch off and see how bad things are, it's seems solid at the mo but you can never tell under the plastics!

You may also notice the front wheels are long beaches (thanks to ogryzek from this site for lending me his 2 spares), luckily I have bought a set of long beaches for winter which will be fitted with winter tyres (a bargain at £50 a corner for uniroyal's from camskill, and at least I can refurb the bbs over winter, once I find one to replace the damaged one!)

VW BUSH

Is that an optical illusion or is the rear on stilts?