Author Topic: Sub in parcel shelf  (Read 8357 times)

Offline ooh_ooh_gti_crew

• GTI forum regular
Re:Sub in parcel shelf
« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2004, 12:26 »
Hi I got 2 Infinity 6x9's either side of a 15'' Rockford sub all mounted on an MDF shelf and looks and sounds sweet.

Go for it.

Offline lowgolf

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 14 May 2004, 12:36 »
Have you had to buy some new struts to pick it up or does it lie permanently flat  ???
<br /><br />Yeah!!!

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #12 on: 14 May 2004, 13:03 »
My intention is to make up some brackets out of small angle iron so that the new shelf wiill rest on them
 ( 4 No. ) with a bolt and wing nut fixing to the shelf, so it can still be raised.
The sides the existing shelf sits on wont be man enuff coz its only plastic.
 ;D
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline strudderz

• Just got here
« Reply #13 on: 15 May 2004, 23:54 »
you say your looking at a sony pentagon woofer for your shelf?
i can tell you that its not designed for free air or if you like infinite baffle as its also refered as well.
the main difference between car audio loudspeakers and ones which are used in home or professional/stage applications is that you  will find alot more effort has been put into the design and manufacture for the in-car market this is because of the many limitations on application in everyday cars etc, right thats a bit of the boring bit gone!!

most sub-woofer's for use in-car are designed for use in a sealed enclosure of varying size etc depending on each different speaker!? alot will work in ported boxes with a tund length port, the most common enclosure size is around 1 cu'ft for a 10" woofer this is not a rule but average, yoiu should look at the manufacturer's spec's for the driver to find out there recomended enclosure etc.

well sorry to be boring but been in the car audio trade for about 10 years now played with lots of different equipment and but a few demo cars, if i can help at all i will be more than happy to give any advice asked of?

Ant

Offline strudderz

• Just got here
« Reply #14 on: 15 May 2004, 23:56 »
crap spelling as well ha ha getting tired now!!

Offline Len

• 10k hero
« Reply #15 on: 17 May 2004, 12:32 »
Thats a bugga if correct, will have to check it out on the Sony website.
Cheers for the warning!
Shame if its so coz i like the colour/shape. Know i shouldnt put asthetics first - but this is not intended to be a top notch db bashing system. If it was i would use sumthin better than Sony.
Was just trying to keep it all the same with the head unit, which is a CDX M730 - (4 x 52 flip face and mask-off)

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 17 May 2004, 14:29 »
free to air subs are virtually unheard of in the ICE scene. i just had a look around and it seems like they really arent "free to air" but in reality are designed for use in applications like you decscibr. mounted in a boot. performance wise they dont give as good response as sealed or ported designs. you also need to seal between 'below' and above the shelf as good as possible. plus having 6x9s in there too may affect things.

a sealed box is the simplest, easiest and safest way to go.

sealed boxes take up less space than ported ones. the reason i said 'safest' is that there is the possibility of blowing a sub thats in a ported box if you overdo it, whereas you're safe with a sealed enclosure. plus you dont need to get the tuning freq right (distance of port from sub, diameter and length are crucial) the trade off is that you will get better bass response from a ported box. (i.e. lower bass).

i've got 2 small 8" rockford fosgate subs in a custom sealed enclosure. (well two enclosures with a frame holding the amp in the middle... its on rails so heat can escape on all sides)

it looks like this if you flip the rear seats fwd ->   | SUB | AMP | SUB |

The enclosure isnt that big.. in depth anyways, but combined its the full width of the car.. each enclosure is 2/3rds of a cu ft each (i think) maybe less. think the depth is around 7 inches at the widest point (bottom), and they're def only 12" high (and 15 wide i think). i have them mounted behind the seats. i still have most of the boot space so there is still a lot of storage room and  the spare comes out easily, but the seats cant be flipped forwards. i designed it this way, and spent ages picking the right subs for my purpose.

oh and along with the usual parameters most subs come with simple plans for sealed and ported boxes. most things available from the manufacturers site too.
there are some good online box design things these days.

btw... wouldnt a sub in a shelf vibrate the shelf quite a lot too?

« Last Edit: 17 May 2004, 14:49 by Overseer »
Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

Offline Len

• 10k hero
« Reply #17 on: 18 May 2004, 09:55 »
Well thats really why i asked the question in the first place Overseer mate. Because the vibration/securing issue was what i was most worried about, but seem to have stirred up other issues.
Dont think i can effectively seal the boot, coz i want to keep the practicality of the tipping seats etc.
I was gonna use some 1" thick ply i've got and mount it on brackets coming from the side of the car out of triangulated angle iron and was hoping that would be substantial enuff!
But all this free to air and enclosure stuff is making me think again.
Might have to think about building an enclosure on the left (offside) for the sub and just putting the 6x9's in the shelf!
 :-\

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 19 May 2004, 14:08 »
Might have to think about building an enclosure on the left (offside) for the sub and just putting the 6x9's in the shelf!
 :-\

sounds like a plan.. one of those stealth side box thingys that fit by the wheel arch might be a good option if theres one for whatever car you have
Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

Offline lowgolf

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 19 May 2004, 18:00 »
A nice pair of 15" pentagon subs go well in my enclosure  :P

<br /><br />Yeah!!!