Author Topic: Component or Co-Axial?  (Read 6676 times)

Offline BSCR

• GTI forum regular
Re: Component or Co-Axial?
« Reply #20 on: 28 December 2007, 09:22 »
ah cool, cheers 4 ur advice - Im gona order some today and hopefully they will be here b4 i go bak 2 uni :-)

Thinking of comps up front and maybe 6x4 co ax in the bak shelfs, then when i can afford it - easter prob - a sub

Offline Chris 'N' Jen

• Here all the time
  • MK4 2.0 GTi 8v in black (the best colour)
« Reply #21 on: 28 December 2007, 09:41 »
If your planning on running a sub you don’t want anything in the shelf as the 2 cancel each other and also the sub can damage what’s in the shelf. Personally I haven’t seen inside any other golf than a mk4 so I don’t know what current set-up is in there. If you don’t have the pods already somewhere in the rear quarters maybe just go with one set of comps up front. Depends on how creative you want to be with custom pods etc. I had 1 set of comps up front and subs in the boot of an old astra. sounded great just with the one set. though my golf, imo does sound better with 2.

Offline BSCR

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 28 December 2007, 10:04 »
Sorry i didnt mean in the rear parcel shelf, i meant in the supports for that shelf, where the standard VW ones are. But thats what i was worried about, i study acoustics at uni so iv got a basic understanding of how it works, iv only been doing it a few months, however car audio is a little lost on me :-(

I think ill start with just some comps up front :-)

Quote: Anybody had any experience of FLI Audio? it keeps grabbing my attention?

I have 2 sets of 17cm fli components (front and rear) in my mk4 getting 100W each from a 4 channel amp. Well recommended.

From here

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/audio-integrator-comp6-p-5280.html

it will run them fine, i would be more tempted to a 'recognised' make, so for the same money, these:

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/3828.html

:)

Any other recommendations for 13cm comps up front, im not confident enough yet to do the 17cm speaker pods up front yet, and don't wanna spend all the cash on the pre made door cards :-)

Offline Chris 'N' Jen

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 28 December 2007, 10:30 »
I haven’t had much experience of 13cm but I would imagine if you went for the tried and tested brands and highest wattage you can afford you can’t go wrong. Take a trip to your local Halfords to try a few out. You can get a feel for what brand of speakers suit your style of music. Then go somewhere cheaper to buy them. Just in case you didn’t know watts in RMS is the only figure you need. Peek means nothing.

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 28 December 2007, 10:31 »
Im seriously thinking about modzing my rear door cards to have some 17cm components in now :shocked:

Offline BSCR

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 28 December 2007, 10:50 »
I haven’t had much experience of 13cm but I would imagine if you went for the tried and tested brands and highest wattage you can afford you can’t go wrong. Take a trip to your local Halfords to try a few out. You can get a feel for what brand of speakers suit your style of music. Then go somewhere cheaper to buy them. Just in case you didn’t know watts in RMS is the only figure you need. Peek means nothing.

Cheers, my local halfords is a bit of a dive, i may head to the bristol one. See what thats like, I listen to everything from classical through to rock, heavy metal, and onto Drum and Bass and hip hop, and most things in between including cheesy pop

So i guess im just looking for a general all purpose speaker, which i know will prob not exist and will not be brilliant at any one thing but thats part of the joys of an eclectic music taste i guess.

On a similar note, when i look at subs, im thinking 2 ten inch subs to give a bit more punch for the faster bass stuff? rather then 12inch? or the crazyness of 15" plus....... :laugh:

Offline BSCR

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 28 December 2007, 10:51 »
Im seriously thinking about modzing my rear door cards to have some 17cm components in now :shocked:

i guess fibre glass just daunts me a little? :undecided:

Offline Chris 'N' Jen

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 28 December 2007, 11:08 »
Through past experience 12's are the way forward for an all round system. My 2 alpines can keep up with anything and drop low when needed. Iv also had a 2 15s and a 10. The 10 struggled to get low enough for my liking and my 15s were a mistake. (Lack of research on my part :cry:) but it depends on your budget. I had a cheep 10 so couldn’t expect the world from it. My last system I had 2 lightning audio 12" @ 150Watt RMS each and they rocked. which are for sale by the way. On the Comps, if you go for tried and tested stuff with highest RMS you can afford you should be ok. are you planning on amping the comps?
« Last Edit: 28 December 2007, 11:10 by Chris 'N' Jen »

Offline BSCR

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 28 December 2007, 11:18 »
Through past experience 12's are the way forward for an all round system. My 2 alpines can keep up with anything and drop low when needed. Iv also had a 2 15s and a 10. The 10 struggled to get low enough for my liking and my 15s were a mistake. (Lack of research on my part :cry:) but it depends on your budget. I had a cheep 10 so couldn’t expect the world from it. My last system I had 2 lightning audio 12" @ 150Watt RMS each and they rocked. which are for sale by the way. On the Comps, if you go for tried and tested stuff with highest RMS you can afford you should be ok. are you planning on amping the comps?

Cool cheers, well im not going to amp them 4 the mo as i don't have a lot of cash but eventually i will, as well as a separate amp for the subs? is that a good idea?

Offline Chris 'N' Jen

• Here all the time
« Reply #29 on: 28 December 2007, 11:30 »
if you can you deffo want a seperate amp for the subs. Monoblock for the subs and a seperate 2 or 4 channel depending on wether you have one or two sets of comps. dont forget if you go budget on cables you will reduce the amps output.  :smiley: