Author Topic: My Chippy Mate Is Making My Boot Build This Weekend...  (Read 5141 times)

Offline mase

• Here all the time
  • mk3 madness!!!
Re: My Chippy Mate Is Making My Boot Build This Weekend...
« Reply #10 on: 17 April 2007, 14:43 »
cool... to be honest ive never heard a system with off sized subs, could be quite cool.

if u dont plan on using the boot... how about something like having the 15" where the spare wheel is, then the 12 above it practically against the rear seats, then a sub on each side... and get rid of the 6x9's!!!
Quote from: Slick#13
I still see there is a distinct lack of b!tch tit getting outage.

...word

Offline Lewy

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 17 April 2007, 15:53 »
You shouldn't mix sub sizes as one will cancel the other - end of!

You need to think more about the system qualities before building any kind of enclosure. Personally like mase has said, get another 12" exactly the same as the JBL you've already got and the system will sing. Have you got a headunit that you can change the sub level on, as this makes a world of difference?

Lewy

Offline mase

• Here all the time
  • mk3 madness!!!
« Reply #12 on: 17 April 2007, 16:50 »
IMO, if your looking to build a proper rocking system, then 6x9's in the parcel shelf are pointless, your subs need a lot of air to move to create an awesome sound, if u have 6x9's pushing air onto them as they are trying to push air away, your speakers end up fighting each other and reduce sound quality.

get 2x12's, running of a hefty 2 channel amp, then some decent 17cm components for the rear door cards, and some decent 2 way speaker for the fronts, those 4 running off another amp, with a decent HU to control the lot and your laughing!!!

...word

Offline Lewy

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 17 April 2007, 16:55 »
get 2x12's, running of a hefty 2 channel amp, then some decent 17cm components for the rear door cards, and some decent 2 way speaker for the fronts, those 4 running off another amp, with a decent HU to control the lot and your laughing!!!

Don't you mean a hefty mono amp, and the components in the front doors, otherwise you'll be projecting the soundstage to the rear seats?

Offline mase

• Here all the time
  • mk3 madness!!!
« Reply #14 on: 17 April 2007, 17:11 »

Don't you mean a hefty mono amp, and the components in the front doors, otherwise you'll be projecting the soundstage to the rear seats?

thats a good point about the soundstage.... told u im no expert lol.  :grin:

and yea, ideally he could run each sub from a mono amp, depends on budget really, so basically.... listen to lewy, he knows wat hes on about.  :drool:

would he want to look at upgrading the earth cable and or the alternator for a 3 amp set up tho? dunno how sturdy the dub alternators are.

...word

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 17 April 2007, 22:57 »
make sure you try your best to get the correct internal air dimensions, and, if you have the space mount the subs with the magnets facing out of the build, so backwards to how most people put them in a box ( or else it would tip over!)

99% of subs come with a box for a reason..... having the magnet pointed outwards only works with certain types of subs known as 'free air' a normal sub needs an enclosed space to work properly, and that why each sub has a reccomended enclosure, be it 1.2cu feet, or 1.5cu feet, it will be slightly different for every make of sub out there.

they are enclosed though or should be, just from the other side. ive just heared it can make them louder, never had any experience in practice.
« Last Edit: 17 April 2007, 23:00 by tommk3cab »

Offline mase

• Here all the time
  • mk3 madness!!!
« Reply #16 on: 18 April 2007, 11:18 »
make sure you try your best to get the correct internal air dimensions, and, if you have the space mount the subs with the magnets facing out of the build, so backwards to how most people put them in a box ( or else it would tip over!)

99% of subs come with a box for a reason..... having the magnet pointed outwards only works with certain types of subs known as 'free air' a normal sub needs an enclosed space to work properly, and that why each sub has a reccomended enclosure, be it 1.2cu feet, or 1.5cu feet, it will be slightly different for every make of sub out there.

they are enclosed though or should be, just from the other side. ive just heared it can make them louder, never had any experience in practice.

i get you... so they fire into an enclosure, rather than having the enclosure around the magnet and coils... hmmm, might have to try that with my JL when i get an afternoon free  :cool:

...word

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
  • Money, b!tches And Boost
« Reply #17 on: 18 April 2007, 11:23 »
You shouldn't mix sub sizes as one will cancel the other - end of!

Have you got a headunit that you can change the sub level on, as this makes a world of difference?

I do not agree it simply adds antoher layer of bass where one sub cannot make one sound the other one compensates and i get much longer/deeper bass tones. My headunit has two sub outputs so I can controll both and it has an equiliser built in too.

As for the 6x9's they are going, have got infinity components ;)
Will always love my mk4 but she had to go...225 Quattro TT in its place....but its still black (she lives on in spirit!)

Offline Heyho

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 18 April 2007, 21:27 »
What is the real output of those amps?  Even if the 12" is being adequately powered (which I doubt), then the 15 will definitely be underpowered.

As has already been mentioned, box volume is VERY important for subs.  Just the 12 in the correct sized enclosure, properly powered and set-up would probably sound better than the 2 together.

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
  • Money, b!tches And Boost
« Reply #19 on: 18 April 2007, 21:52 »
800 watts out of each and actually the 15 has one of the amps powering it alone, so trust me its powered well enough ;)

Just need to get a power cap, but to be honest thats not what I made this thread for and its going right off topic, I wanna know if there are any websites that show boot builds, so i can get some ideas.
Will always love my mk4 but she had to go...225 Quattro TT in its place....but its still black (she lives on in spirit!)