Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362451 times)

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
**UPDATE**

I have had my car in at VW this week, dropped it off Thursday because the chain rattle had come back on mine even though I have had all the latest parts fitted in January last year. (chains, tensioner, guides etc)

Got the call from Ben @ VW Crosshills and he told me the chain and tensioner are fine, they need to look into it further. Got a call about two hours later, they said they think they have found the problem. They said that the magnet piston on the side of the engine that moves the camshaft has a gauze on the end of it, that has come off. They have found it, but they dont know if it has caused any further damage.

They are going to take the head off and have a look and see if their is any damage, if there is they will replace any and every part under warranty. So fingers crossed i get some good news on Monday.

What a sh1t engine the TSi is......

MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline AndrewDunn

• Just got here
Well..... heres another for the pot.. My 59 plate GTI with 59k has died, last thursday. 19/2/2015
I took it to my local VW garage Hawco's inverness an had to pay them to tell me what was wrong... after me already telling them. They have just called me to tell me that there is no goodwill on off an that it will be £6.5k for the engine plus labour. Also stating that the inlet manifold is damaged needing replacement (this would have occurred due to the time being out an a backfire). They have stated it is due to the cam tensioner pulley. Am i to assume by the way this topic is going that VW have run out of goodwill where the TSI is concerned? i cannot understand why this has not been a recall on all the engines?!?! I don't seem to be able to get anywhere with customer services either. If this persists i shall be seeking instruction from a solicitor an think it might be worthwhile with other people who are struggling to get anywhere with VW clubbing together to form a group case. Take it to the papers etc.
Does anyone have any further advice? so glad i found this on the forum or i would have been sourcing a 2nd hand engine an fitting it myself.

Offline goodeye

• Just got here
Well..... heres another for the pot.. My 59 plate GTI with 59k has died, last thursday. 19/2/2015
I took it to my local VW garage Hawco's inverness an had to pay them to tell me what was wrong... after me already telling them. They have just called me to tell me that there is no goodwill on off an that it will be £6.5k for the engine plus labour. Also stating that the inlet manifold is damaged needing replacement (this would have occurred due to the time being out an a backfire). They have stated it is due to the cam tensioner pulley. Am i to assume by the way this topic is going that VW have run out of goodwill where the TSI is concerned? i cannot understand why this has not been a recall on all the engines?!?! I don't seem to be able to get anywhere with customer services either. If this persists i shall be seeking instruction from a solicitor an think it might be worthwhile with other people who are struggling to get anywhere with VW clubbing together to form a group case. Take it to the papers etc.
Does anyone have any further advice? so glad i found this on the forum or i would have been sourcing a 2nd hand engine an fitting it myself.

Hi AndrewDunn,

Sorry to hear this. I've been battling with VWCS for over a month and no movement from their side. I posted on their facebook and twitter but even that didn't move them. I'm going to CAB tomorrow morning to seek legal advice because I don't think they should be able to get away with it

There's 3 of us on this forum who are in the same situation. You, me and B_roi89. I'd be more than happy to go together

Offline goodeye

• Just got here
Goodeye - my 09 plate failed just before xmas. Two months of arguing with VW dealership and customer services and end result is £0 contribution..

I have a full VW service history but was told I showed no brand loyalty as it was serviced in different VW dealerships in different cities....

Some very kind people on here sent me their case reference numbers where they had 100% contribution but the response was that they couldn't discuss other cases due to confidentiality.

I fully appreciate they have no legal obligation to contribute to repairs as i am out of warranty - but this is a recognised problem and some sort of legal precedent must have been set by upgrading the part, releasing a tsb, and contributing to other's repairs?!

I feel so let down by VW Heritage Bristol. They are completely understaffed following a large proportion of their staff leaving before xmas.. (i wonder if they had dodgy golfs?).. They haven't even been able to provide me with a quote for the cost of repairs - do they not want the work???

I was out in the market for a new car and seriously considering a new GTD - I guess it's their loss as i'll never buy a VW again. It seems like a rather short sighted decision from them. At least a £500 would show some compassion on their behalf.

My strongest argument was why the VW dealer didn't warn me about this time bomb ticking underneath my bonnet.... They're doing whatever they can to avoid an answer to this question

Offline Scottw

• Not said much yet
I can safely say that all these problems have put me of a gti

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
I can safely say that all these problems have put me of a gti
service it like a cambelt and it will probably be fine.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
**UPDATE**

**UPDATE**

I have had my car in at VW this week, dropped it off Thursday because the chain rattle had come back on mine even though I have had all the latest parts fitted in January last year. (chains, tensioner, guides etc)

Got the call from Ben @ VW Crosshills and he told me the chain and tensioner are fine, they need to look into it further. Got a call about two hours later, they said they think they have found the problem. They said that the magnet piston on the side of the engine that moves the camshaft has a gauze on the end of it, that has come off. They have found it, but they dont know if it has caused any further damage.

They are going to take the head off and have a look and see if their is any damage, if there is they will replace any and every part under warranty. So fingers crossed i get some good news on Monday.

What a sh1t engine the TSi is......

NEW UPDATE - 03/02/2015

So it turns out the Gauze on the bearing housing had cracked and come off, luckily is hadn't gone far, it got stuck at the end of the tunnel so was easy to pick out. Martin the head tech at VW Crosshills explained that yet again it is another bad design by VW and there has been two revisions to the bearing housing since 2009.

This is the damage, you can see that 90% of the gauze had gone. :angry: :angry:

So they replace the bearing bush housing and the magnet (said they have to buy as a set). they were both fitted the next day and all seemed well, no rattle on start up and engine sounded fine. I got about 7 miles down the road and engine management light came on. So I scanned it when I got home and it threw this error code:

1 Fault Found:
000017 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)
               P0011 - 000 -  -  - MIL ON

Googled it and it came back with a few causes, mainly timing issue. Spoke to Ben at VW and he said bring it back and we will have a look again.

The head tech spend two days looking into and couldn't find an issue with the timing or anything else in the engine. To cut this story short he finally got to the bottom of it. It was caused by the below part not opening and shutting properly, the part is called Central Valve (for the cam) Part number: 06H 109 257 C. After replacing that the car has been starting and running sweet. So great job by the guys at VW Crosshills again. Cant thank them enough.

I just wanted to post this if anyone else who has had the timing chain done and then the noise comes back 6+ months later.

It will either be the Cam Shaft Magnet Assembly or this little valve thing:

MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
Considering that forum members are a very small sample of owners of the engine in question - not just GTi's - its all a bit worrying. The cars in question for tensioner failures are getting a bit older, a bit more out of warranty, and bit less likely to attract VW's attention.

I realise that VW can't warranty cars forever, but it all gets a bit fundamental when a component goes pop and its a £7k bill...

I have to say that my 09 MK6, whilst a mollycoddled and pristine example has cost me more in preventative maintenance than the 3 previous MK5's in total. Rear ARB droplinks are next on the fix list...

Cayman for me next I think rather than  a mk7. I've had 7 other gti's, ranging from a mk1 through to mk 6, whilst wifey has had about 5 golf estates with her job. Bit of a change in mindset to move from the brand.

Offline darrent

• Not said much yet

Cayman for me next I think rather than  a mk7. I've had 7 other gti's, ranging from a mk1 through to mk 6, whilst wifey has had about 5 golf estates with her job. Bit of a change in mindset to move from the brand.
:whistle: Cayman you say http://www.hartech.org/porsche_996_997_Boxster_engine_rebuilds_and_repairs.html

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Considering that forum members are a very small sample of owners of the engine in question - not just GTi's - its all a bit worrying. The cars in question for tensioner failures are getting a bit older, a bit more out of warranty, and bit less likely to attract VW's attention.

I realise that VW can't warranty cars forever, but it all gets a bit fundamental when a component goes pop and its a £7k bill...

I have to say that my 09 MK6, whilst a mollycoddled and pristine example has cost me more in preventative maintenance than the 3 previous MK5's in total. Rear ARB droplinks are next on the fix list...

what preventative maintenance are you referring  too? Mk5 suffer everything the 6 does except the tensioner and it has cam follower issues instead, as well as cambelt tensioner  noises. Cam ware on the first year engines etc etc.
Tensioner change on a 6 is no more expensive  than a cambelt change on any of the previous mk GTIs.
My mk4 based leon, the mk4 have camshaft ware issues and turbo issues just to name a few but its been in the family for 10 years now and the cars been faultless its why i still have it. The mk1 and 2 had oil pump issues which was also catastrophic. Mines been fine in 24 years of ownership. Its the luck of the draw.
The difference is the internet points these issues out were you would not get to hear about them before.
« Last Edit: 05 March 2015, 05:04 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.