Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362445 times)

Offline ethmanp

• Not said much yet
Hey guys,

No second opinion yet - just waiting to hear back from VW regarding any potential gesture of goodwill as I phoned their customer services and they have yet to look in to my case regarding any kind of response.

I called Ben in Crosshills and put my scenario to him. He was extremely helpful and went beyond his duty in giving me advice, explaining things and what the faults could be.

I've since called the dealer where it's at and asked when they took the casing off to check whether the timing marks aligned whether or not the chain was slack enough to say it's simply loose and that the tensioner needs replacing. They said that the chain wasn't particularly loose stationary (not started) but it can be heard rattling about when the car is started. I did mention about a faulty sensor being a potential problem but the guy on services seemed to diffuse it as not being relevant to symptoms.

Quite frankly, I feel completely let down at the dealership where it's in at the moment. Their customer service is abysmal (never calling back when supposed to). I mentioned it might be the timing chain when I dropped the car off and it took them 2 Diagnostic sessions to come to their conclusion (ea @ £120)!! - they ruled it out after the first diagnostic!!!  Now they've given me a price for a fix I asked whether or not the diagnostics will be knocked off in full or in part at least should I ask them to carry out the repair to which the guy on the phone said no.

Once I hear back from VW customer services and if they say there will be no gesture of goodwill - I'll whip it to another garage and report back what the actual problem is!!

Thanks, Ethan

09 Gti, Black Pearl, DSG, Leather, Rear LEDs, Miltek Catback, APR Stage 1 intake

Offline LUB

• Just got here
59 Reg @ 48000 miles.
Awaiting solution from VW garage, but they already advised a new engine would probably be required. The dealership is already charging me £200 for their diagnostic.
The car being out of warranty means a lot of good will will be required.
Any advice is welcome.

Thanks
« Last Edit: 09 December 2014, 17:00 by LUB »

Offline ethmanp

• Not said much yet
Anyone interested in my problem - heres an update.

VW customer services came back with a 20% gesture of goodwill so i was still looking at a £1k repair bill.

I phoned and asked to speak with manager of the garage regarding the poor customer service and told him I was only prepared to pay for 1/2 of the diagnostic fee and wanted to collect my car to take to another garage immediately. (They concluded the same as what I told them when I had originally dropped it in so £240 for confirming this didn't seem fair in my eyes!!!). He said he'd look in to it and call me back.

10 minutes later another chap from the garage called me and apologised for the poor customer service and went on to say that he went to school with my brother and sister etc etc and that he on behalf of the garage could help more than their original offer. He went on to explain in more detail that the service agent the problem - the plunger on the timing tensioner is only supposed to show 3 notches (forgot the word) and mine was showing 4 hence timing being out etc. He said they can strip it, replace tensioner, chain and ancillaries for 50% of their original proposed cost.

I said yes to this Monday afternoon and they had began stripping it down yesterday and should hopefully have the car back later this afternoon! (3 weeks later!)

09 Gti, Black Pearl, DSG, Leather, Rear LEDs, Miltek Catback, APR Stage 1 intake

Offline charlie

• I live here
Anyone interested in my problem - heres an update.

VW customer services came back with a 20% gesture of goodwill so i was still looking at a £1k repair bill.

I phoned and asked to speak with manager of the garage regarding the poor customer service and told him I was only prepared to pay for 1/2 of the diagnostic fee and wanted to collect my car to take to another garage immediately. (They concluded the same as what I told them when I had originally dropped it in so £240 for confirming this didn't seem fair in my eyes!!!). He said he'd look in to it and call me back.

10 minutes later another chap from the garage called me and apologised for the poor customer service and went on to say that he went to school with my brother and sister etc etc and that he on behalf of the garage could help more than their original offer. He went on to explain in more detail that the service agent the problem - the plunger on the timing tensioner is only supposed to show 3 notches (forgot the word) and mine was showing 4 hence timing being out etc. He said they can strip it, replace tensioner, chain and ancillaries for 50% of their original proposed cost.

I said yes to this Monday afternoon and they had began stripping it down yesterday and should hopefully have the car back later this afternoon! (3 weeks later!)
glad your getting it sorted vw have got a lot to answer for with this problem. A lot off aggro people have to go to to get there cars repaired
2012 black pearl Golf gti mark 6 5 door leather cruise 510rns bluetooth acc dab sunroof park assist rear camera parking sensors storage pack and the luxury pack :-) sold :/( now aiming a 2013 passat alltrack

Offline andygo

• GTI forum regular
Chaps, I can only reiterate that prevention is better than a cure. Best to treat it as a wear and tear item and swap it before it (and your engine) go pop.

Offline ethmanp

• Not said much yet
There I was thinking I got away with minimal damage....

Another call from the garage where mine is at, contact was made between valves and pistons so new engine needed.

Fortunately I won't have to pay more than £600 as quoted by the garage as the extra will mostly be picked up by VW and a small portion by the garage.

Offline Obbzi

• I live here
There I was thinking I got away with minimal damage....

Another call from the garage where mine is at, contact was made between valves and pistons so new engine needed.

Fortunately I won't have to pay more than £600 as quoted by the garage as the extra will mostly be picked up by VW and a small portion by the garage.

D'oh! At least you won't get stung with a bigger bill  :cry: :shocked: :smiley:
2008 R32 DBP gone. 2008 GT TDI going 2009 GTI coming soon!

Offline LMD2014

• Just got here
Hi

I don't have a GTI but a 2010 Golf 1.2 Tsi - please don't hold it against me - really need some advice here!  Car has only done 36500 miles. Consistently serviced by VW approved garage right up to this year, (where I went to a place local to my work) Engine warning lights came on, RAC came out, it had started previously but when RAC guy tried, it wouldn't start so it was subsequently towed to an Independent VW Garage. They have advised that they suspect timing chain has stretched, advised approx £500 to fix but if engine has been damaged costs may go up to £1000.

I called VW Customer Service and they advised that they will not discuss any financial assistance unless it goes to retailer. So arranged to have it towed there today.  Paid for them to do another diagnostic and got a lovely call saying evidence of engine damage - no compression and timing out = new engine required.  Quoting me £5k!!!  :sick:

Advised that they will come back tomorrow with more comprehensive details and they will contact VW but they don't think there will be goodwill given out of warranty.

Any advice/thoughts would be much appreciated.

Offline gaurav_aidasani

• GTI forum regular
I can only assume you're out of warranty?

5K is over the top, as seen on this thread by other unfortunate drivers the cost should be around £1000, what the indy garage quoted you.

I think you should start with that argument with VW, how can they quote you 5x what an indy garage has quoted you?! Plus its pretty much always been serviced at an authorised dealer.

Normally VW cough up for the parts, and customer pays for labour and I guess an engine rebuild takes 12-14 hours so you're looking at around £1000.

Nevertheless its ridiculous that VW is making you have to go through all this agony.

Offline FlyingLotus42

• Just got here
Hello all,

First post here so appologies if I'm incorrect.

Straight to it then, looking to buy a 1.4 TSI 122bhp Mark 6 Golf (Coming from a 2.5 TDI Skoda Superb from 2003), however, on searching I've seen a lot of posts about the Tensioner or the Chain Slipping and failing. However, this only seems to be on the cars from 2009 as far as I've seen. Cars I'm looking at are below, all from 2011 does anyone know if this issue would have been seen to or would it still be best to preventatively get the tensioner and chain replaced.

http://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/1.4-tsi-match-5dr/2011-(61)/ref/arnem-u-541641/

http://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/1.4-tsi-match-5dr/2012-(62)/ref/arnfz-u-9119/

http://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/1.4-tsi-se-5dr/2011-(11)/ref/arnbm-u-47569/

Thanks for any help with this, been a big worry for me on what I'm hoping to be my next car.