Author Topic: Final sanity check  (Read 5874 times)

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
Final sanity check
« on: 13 July 2009, 01:05 »
Being new to Golfs I am reading the MkV vs Mk VI debate with interest.  In my situation I'm trying to choose between buying a 3yr MkV or a brand new MkVI.

MkV is obviously cheaper, but will be well used and I note the MkV interior doesn't wear too well, esp the seat bolsters.  It is a great car to drive, but the interior seems to have dated a lot.  Loads on the road too.

MkVI is obviously going to be shiny and new and I can spec what I want.  I can afford it cashflow wise through PCP, so that isn't an issue.  However, its slower than the ED30 and there's a pretty long wait.

(To me, the non VW options, the S3 and 130i are just too ugly and would cost more to maintain.  I need 5 drs hence no Scirocco.)

I can understand why existing MkV owners wouldn't trade to a MkVI, but if you didn't have either, which would you go for?  (MkVI is leading in my heart right now!)
Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Final sanity check
« Reply #1 on: 13 July 2009, 06:18 »
Difficult one to answer. I have a mk5 and am looking into getting a mk6.
The new car will have a full warranty and although expensive, should provide hassle free motoring for three years or so. I won't mention projected resales as you are likely to get yours on PCP.
Without wishing to be a part contributor to WWIII if that errupts should someone actually poke a bit of critism toward the mk6 I'll try and be objective.
MK5 will be out of warranty at 3 years so be prepared for bills if anything goes wrong. MK6 will be rented so you will be paying interest but VW will be coughing up for repairs under warranty.
MK6 will be on a hire agreement so you will not be able to modify the car in any way. There was an issue on seatcupra.net back along where a guy put in a warranty claim on a modified car that was on PCP and all hell broke loose. Needless to say he ended up in hot water and lost the car and money.
MK5 interior not actually all that different to the mk6 despite some claims. I've owned two mk5s and driven 2 mk6s and I can see what has actually been changed - not as much as you think. Bung in a current model RCD or RNS unit and there aren't that many differences. Both of my mk5s have been owned second hand and have had reasonable mileages on them. Current one is at 47k and the interior looks nearly new. MK4 owners used to critisise the mk5 as having a substandard interior as it didn't have some of the fancy plastics but these plastics wear very badly and most mk4s now look shabby inside. My father still has a mk4 ( late model 53 plate one) which has an easy life and yet looks worse for wear inside than my mk5 (which also has an easy life). The biggest difference is the glow in the gloom white backlighting on the mk6 which looks fresh and modern. The mk5 has the blue back-lighting from the mk4 which is quite funky in it's own way.
The mk6 is definately slower than a mk5 Ed 30 flat out, however the smaller turbo of the lower powered car spins up quicker so you won't notice that much difference unless you're racing.
The interior of the Ed 30 is nice, the leather bolsters may wear a bit as the car gets older but that can usually be kept in check with regular cleaning. The Ed 30 looks nice, the 200PS mk5 is starting to look a little dated though. The mk6 is the one that will age the best though as it's a new model and is going to become very familiar. I think the Ed30 and Pirelli will always remain desirable though as they are very highly regarded just like the mk4 Anni was. The standard 200PS car is still very popular though as it offers very good value for money (by VW standards) now unless you're mad enough to walk into a dealer and cough up some of the prices they are charging for late low mileage models right now (nearly mk6 money) considering you could buy a brand new run out car for about £18k not so long ago......

So if I were a neutral I'd be looking at getting a mk6 if I wanted shiny and new and wanted to impress the nieghbours.
Otherwise I'd be looking at an Ed 30 if I could get one at sensible money. I wouldn't be paying some of the prices VW dealers are charging as in a couple of years it will start to look dated not just along side the mk6 which will become more common but also against other cars released by other marques that will have similar features to the mk6 (which is essentially only an updated mk5 to keep competitive with other manufacturers funky new models in the pipeline).
There is no right or wrong decision basically.......
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #2 on: 13 July 2009, 08:20 »
Thanks Exonian, nice post to help the neutral golfers out there.

In terms of interior I reckon the main differences are the steering wheel, white lighting as you say, red stiching, crome surrounds, piano black inserts and the darker cloth trim. This does a lot to lift the interior - whether it is circa £10k better is debatable :)

I very much like your point re: no wrong decision :)

Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
« Reply #3 on: 13 July 2009, 10:03 »
whether it is circa £10k better is debatable :)

Speaking objectively/financially: don't be stupid, buy the Mk V and save yourself £10K. Nobody needs a 200hp car anyway.

Speaking emotively/as a human being: the MkVI is the first Golf I've actually liked the look of since the MkI and it certainly looks nicer than the MkV with its googly eyes. Also, getting a new car means you won't be driving someone else's cast-off, you'll be able to spec' it exactly how you want and have a few weeks of that priceless albeit ephemeral new-car smell.

Hope this helps, lol :)

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #4 on: 13 July 2009, 10:18 »
I agree with FroGTI.

It depends on if you let your head decide or your heart.

Imagine if you go for the mk5, what will you be thinking when you see the new mk6 on the road?

Would that bother you or not? For a decent mk5 you are looking at £15k plus, that is still a lot of money for an old model Golf.

I own a mk5 GTI and think they are brilliant cars, still changing to a mk6 though.

Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #5 on: 13 July 2009, 10:19 »

Objectively/ financially... AKA the wife talking!

LOL

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
« Reply #6 on: 13 July 2009, 10:29 »
Me? well I've never owned a Golf before but for years I have looked jealously at Golf drivers and yearned for one of my own.  I loved the look of the mark 5 but to be honest could never afford one and now imho it is beginning to look dated.  So when I saw that VW were bringing out a mark 6 I knew then that this was the car for me and I'd do anything to get one.  On my test drive the car was so impressive, fast? it's like s--t off a shovel and talk about  a head turner. 

I collect my car next week and so begins what I hope will be a long love affair with VW and in particular brand GTI. :laugh: :grin:
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #7 on: 13 July 2009, 12:24 »
And no doubt in a couple of yrs' time you'll have a view on the mk7 vs your mk6! :)

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
« Reply #8 on: 13 July 2009, 14:20 »
More than likely but some manufacturers cars are beginning to take on some weird looks even now that I wonder what VW may do in the future, surely they can't just keep tweeking an older model and calling it a new one, soon we will wise up and say no more.  Which may mean they develop something so futuristic that it wont even look like a good old VW. :rolleyes:
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #9 on: 13 July 2009, 14:52 »
If you have the money get the MK6. Make sure you have good read through the T&C when opting for the PCP (I was on a PCP on the MK5 but bought myself out of it).