Author Topic: Hand brake stack.  (Read 492 times)

Offline goral

• Just got here
Hand brake stack.
« on: 28 January 2024, 19:40 »
HI

The mk6 golf vehicle has been standing in the cold (not some solid -6 or so) for a fortnight,
Unfortunately, through carelessness and forgetfulness, I left it on the handbrake.
After 2 weeks I start the car and release the handbrake, and the first thing I notice is that it feels strangely "empty" without any resistance.
I start the car and it's as if the handbrake is lightly on.
I thought to myself, maybe I'm going to drive it apart, and in fact after a few tries of applying the handbrake firmly and releasing it, and driving forwards and backwards, it let go. The wheels were no longer hot.
However, pulling the handbrake again, the same thing happened! Even though the temperature is clearly above zero.
This time, it's hard to get it to grind, driving in reverse doesn't help so much. Noticeable improvement, but still driving as if the handbrake had been lightly applied, right rear wheel warm but not hot, left wheel slightly warm but less so.
Downhill (not too much of a gradient) the vehicle is pulling out speed and stalling.
I hope I have given a fairly detailed description of the symptoms.

My question:
Is there anything I can check before I set about replacing the brake callipers (this is the first thing that comes to mind).
Colloquially speaking, can anything be sharpened, lubricated, I'm guessing the problem is with the handbrake (and the handbrake is stuck).
As soon as the weather improves a bit, I'll get it up and try to get the wheel moving (do I need to have both wheels up)?
And an additional question, do I have to replace the brake callipers (and/or brake discs), both at the same time?

Thanks
« Last Edit: 28 January 2024, 19:46 by goral »

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: Hand brake stack.
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2024, 20:29 »
Handbrake cable lever on calipers sometimes stick needing lubrication.
Also we're the brake pads sit on the caliper and caliper carrier rust.
File the rust off and lubricate it with brake grease.
Wind the piston back with a piston tool and make sure its moving OK.
If you don't know what you are doing get a professional to do it.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline goral

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2024, 21:04 »
Thanks.
That was the answer I was looking for. Thank You.
Yes with the callipers and pads I can cope, I have already replaced pads, discs and callipers (on another car ).

With what do you lubricate the stick needling?

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #3 on: 29 January 2024, 10:42 »
Just type "brake grease" into Google. I normally use Textar Ceratec but other makes are available.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.