Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2788540 times)

Offline zainahmed48

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #11640 on: 22 August 2021, 23:44 »
Maxton Design front splitter :grin:

2018 Indium Grey MK7.5 GTi (Manual), 19" Brescia

Offline coolhandluke123

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11641 on: 23 August 2021, 09:29 »
Spilt coke all over the centre console yesterday so was cleaning that up, while I was at it gave the leather a deep clean to stop it getting shiny.

Can I ask what you used to clean your leather?

I notice your getting some indentations on the drivers seat, same is happening to mine after only 2 years.
My passenger seat isn't although its doesn't get the same amount of use.
I'm guessing VW would just consider it as fair wear and tear?

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #11642 on: 23 August 2021, 10:29 »
Spilt coke all over the centre console yesterday so was cleaning that up, while I was at it gave the leather a deep clean to stop it getting shiny.

I notice your getting some indentations on the drivers seat, same is happening to mine after only 2 years.

Both my previous GTD and the current GTI had leather. It's not indentations it's just the leather covers are loose from poor foam base/poor cover fit to be honest.

The GTI (a year newer) actually has it worse than my old GTD (Which my brother has) it's just luck of the draw on how well it fits.

I have seen people get the foam replaced if the bolster has worn prematurely but that's about it. Personally I think it would be a bit of a reach to go after it on warranty on my car. If you think it's bad on your car then go for it, worst thing to happen is to be told no!

But I've seen new AMG's with the same amount of play as mine in the leather covers so I'm not worried.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #11643 on: 23 August 2021, 10:34 »

It’s normal with leather which, being a natural material, will develop ‘pressure dents’ over time when subjected to the weight of someone sitting on it if the leather cover has a degree of slack in it. VW wouldn’t consider there’s anything wrong with it. If you look at pictures of used Golfs with leather seats of a similar age, you’ll find most - if not all - will have similar indentations.

I’ve read that heat can be used to remove these dents; I don’t know if I’d attempt it though and I dare say it’s not a permanent fix, and the the indentations will reappear in a relatively short period of time, once a seat’s subjected to a person’s weight again.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #11644 on: 23 August 2021, 14:48 »
This morning I changed the diff fluid, replacing fill and drain plugs. Straightforward, if a little time consuming on axle stands.

I did it myself as I wanted to see the state of the fluid to guage the condition of the diff. The fluid was mid brown, rather than really dark, in  compareison to the golden hue of the new haldex fluid, so all good!
« Last Edit: 23 August 2021, 14:50 by clubsport »

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #11645 on: 23 August 2021, 16:42 »
Gave my wheels a thorough wash but the fronts are pretty badly covered with brake dust and I've run out of IronX. So a quick order in for a selection of wheel cleaning goodies - iron fallout remover, tar and glue and a clay bar. Also a bottle of Gtechniq C5 to seal them of which I have only heard good things.

Next I popped in to book a wheel refurb for the front nearside which I've kerb a few times now. Plus there was evidence of a previous smart repair. £70 +vat seemed reasonable.

Hopefully tomorrow, weather and energy levels permitting (night shifts tend to wear me out for a few days), the rest of the car will get a good clean too. The bodywork really needs some tar spots sorting, my clay mitt running over and a good wax.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SionOnTheCob

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11646 on: 23 August 2021, 17:55 »
Ejecto seato cuz!   :evil:  :laugh:

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #11647 on: 23 August 2021, 18:49 »
This morning I changed the diff fluid, replacing fill and drain plugs. Straightforward, if a little time consuming on axle stands.

I did it myself as I wanted to see the state of the fluid to guage the condition of the diff. The fluid was mid brown, rather than really dark, in  compareison to the golden hue of the new haldex fluid, so all good!

I presume were talking the VAQ diff fluid.

Did you drop the pump out and clean the gauze filter, was it made up with crap??

Did you do the pump adaptation after refilling??

I can't seem to find out for definite if the adaptation is really needed after doing a diff service.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #11648 on: 23 August 2021, 19:41 »

I presume were talking the VAQ diff fluid.

Did you drop the pump out and clean the gauze filter, was it made up with crap??

Did you do the pump adaptation after refilling??

I can't seem to find out for definite if the adaptation is really needed after doing a diff service.

I researched replacing the fluid in some detail, it seems you can potentially cause issues removing the pump and filter?

My car has only done 10k miles. so this would be it's first diff fluid service.
I used the OBDeleven for live data on the diff for temperature and it also shows; "Haldex clutch status! & "degree of blockage".

As the temperature. status & degree of blockage (0%) were all great with 0 minutes of overtemperature recorded, I decided to drain and consider the status of the fluid coming out.
As I mentioned the fluid looked clear only a slightly darker colour than the new Febi Bilstein fluid that replaced it.

On that basis to avoid any complication, I did not remove the pump, just  blew it out with compressed air and replaced the fluid, which is exactly what the VW main dealer did on the diff service on my previous GTi PP.

Now if the old fluid had looked like a diesel oil, I had considered this may well be down to wear on the diff plates, I would have looked into removing the pump and inspecting the filter.

As all of my readings and fluid looked fine, I had no need to recallibrate anything. I ran the car up the road to see the diff temperature increase and watched the live data as I went through a few turns, all good.

I would consider the mileage on your own car, how often the diff fluid has been replaced and what it looks llike when it comes out?
This is why I wanted to do this change myself as I wouldn't get the information I learned about the car from a secondhand source.

Good luck!

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #11649 on: 23 August 2021, 20:22 »
Not read anything myself regarding damaging the pump??

Think when I get round to doing mine, I'm gonna remove the pump and clean off the gauze filter.

Just need to get VCDS first.......
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.