Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2788240 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #6070 on: 07 February 2017, 22:31 »
Sorry to hear of your near miss MH and the hit on your car Watts.  There are some woeful (polite name) drivers out on the roads.  I nearly got sideswiped by a flatbed truck this morning travelling stupidly fast on a rural road and over the centre line, only evasive action on my part saved the car from damage.  Tw*t.

Thanks, got the go ahead from DL to book it in for repair today but the garage are looking at after the 22nd :sad: And it's still got to go in for the noisy rear to be investigated (21st). Still, gradually getting there.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6071 on: 08 February 2017, 08:00 »
There are some great bodyshops out there but they're usually not cheap and therefore not insurer approved (meaning paying an additional penalty on your excess until the other side pays up. Best repair I ever had was by Mill BMW in Sunderland, far better than either of the 2 bodyshops attached to our local VW group (Lookers, Formerly Benfield). The workshop manager at BMW said that the insurance companies prefer flat cost contracts -paying out a fixed cost like £1100 per car, whether it's a little ding or a huge crunch.

He was pretty helpful in trying to pester the insurance comoanies to stop messing about with each other (the other side had already agreed to pay up but my indurance still wanted me to pay a huge excess for going against their woshes by taking the car there.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #6072 on: 08 February 2017, 10:44 »
Booth, thank you for your help and feedback on my rear light coding issue. Now resolved.

Maybe useful going forward? It seems the best way to confirm or resolve any potential issues is to compare a screen grab of the OBD11 settings under an individual section with someone who doesn't have a problem, to see if anything differs. Cheers.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6073 on: 08 February 2017, 11:35 »
Booth, thank you for your help and feedback on my rear light coding issue. Now resolved.

Maybe useful going forward? It seems the best way to confirm or resolve any potential issues is to compare a screen grab of the OBD11 settings under an individual section with someone who doesn't have a problem, to see if anything differs. Cheers.

Glad you've resolved it.  Agree screenshots are very helpful, would have been happy to give you a screenshot of the settings.  I did that exact thing for a member on another forum at the weekend, who was having trouble disabling their headlight washers. A number of screenshots enabled them to see where they had differed. 

DRL's are next on my list :-)
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #6074 on: 08 February 2017, 11:55 »
What are you doing to the DRl's?

I used the app to add DRL on the "lights menu" as a tick for on/off. The app was straightforward.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6075 on: 08 February 2017, 12:14 »
What are you doing to the DRl's?

I used the app to add DRL on the "lights menu" as a tick for on/off. The app was straightforward.

No not activating the DRL setting to show in the lights menu.  I have no desire to turn the DRL's off.

It's adaptation (long coding) to up the DRL brightness (with headlights on).  I haven't done it yet as not had time.  Think the default is they are currently set at is 26% (but need to check), so I will try them at 50% and 100%. Expect 100% will be too bright at night but many have set theirs to that.  I'll probably try and compare all 3 %s in photos and then decide which to settle on. 

Here's the coding for setting the DRL's to 100%, which has been confirmed as correct by someone that has done the DRL's.  By all accounts 100% is fine.

EDIT:  Done this now at 100% and looks much better.
« Last Edit: 08 February 2017, 21:15 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6076 on: 08 February 2017, 21:16 »
Sorry to hear of your near miss MH and the hit on your car Watts.  There are some woeful (polite name) drivers out on the roads.  I nearly got sideswiped by a flatbed truck this morning travelling stupidly fast on a rural road and over the centre line, only evasive action on my part saved the car from damage.  Tw*t.

Thanks, got the go ahead from DL to book it in for repair today but the garage are looking at after the 22nd :sad: And it's still got to go in for the noisy rear to be investigated (21st). Still, gradually getting there.

Bit of a wait then :-(   Hopefully come end of Feb will be back to its best.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #6077 on: 08 February 2017, 21:24 »
Took my Gti on its first good run today from Sunderland to Lockerbie and back. Wasn't hanging around and outside temperature was 2°c got 38mpg on way up and 36 on the way back. Having had a gtd before I wasn't sure if I'd see any difference between it and the gti but how very wrong I was. I've been doing the same journey myself since I was 17 so know the roads very well and I can safely say that the gti is the best car I've ever done the journey in. Anyone who says a gtd is either the same or better than a gti is very much mistaken. I absolutely love my Gti pp and wish I'd bought one sooner.
« Last Edit: 09 February 2017, 21:52 by mcmaddy »
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #6078 on: 08 February 2017, 22:28 »
Anyone who says a gtd is either the same or better than a gti is very much mistaken. I absolutely love my Gti pp and with I'd bought one sooner.

+1   It's easy to compare figures and say that, but the cars are very different and the GTI has a fine example of a really good turbo petrol engine with a wide power band. Every trip I do leaves me glad I made the change from my GTD. That car was good, but my GTI is great!
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline asm1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6079 on: 08 February 2017, 23:52 »

As said, if there not another trustworthy bodyshop you can go to?  They are worth their weight in gold.  Mine's had 3 lots of damage (separate incidents) but left the bodyshop each time looking as good as new.  It is all the hassle though and sometimes it can feel like your car is in the bodyshop more than out if it!  Hope it works out ok for you.

Me too.  I'm sure it will be fine - its just frustrating, I only got the car in November!

Thinking about trying one of these Smart/paintless repair places, in an effort to keep costs down.

The insurance company repairer would order two new doors (!) and have it away for a month. It's not that bad.  Cheeky sods told me they had put two new doors on my last car when I rubbed it along something - charged motability for same, and I then scratched it (again) later to discover the door had filler in it. So that's why I'm not enthralled about putting it through the insurance for a relatively minor ding. plus it is another mark on my record.

Once I have had a proper look at it, I shall look/shop around.  I wasn't out today as the weather was cold and I don't move so well.