Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2833775 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #5190 on: 31 August 2016, 07:37 »
Looks almost identical damage pattern to when my 2 week old mk5 Golf got clipped by a bus (apart from the additional damage caused by pushing my car into the car in front). New rear quarter panel, new wheel, new rear bumper, new rear axle (the wheel is facing slightly away from straight isn't it? Or is it the stoved in bumper making it not look straight?), maybe some new componnents attached to said axle - about £8k damage. Make sure you check the colour match in all lights - pearl black can be a bugger to match, more noticeable in overcast conditions.

After seeing the perpetrator on the way to the police station, do you yhink they'd stopped to wait and see if you'd come back (as you'd left the roundabout one way and they another) or was it a genuine hit and run?

« Last Edit: 31 August 2016, 07:41 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5191 on: 31 August 2016, 07:56 »
There is a dieselgate update for GTDs - my Dad has been requested to come in for his, but a colleague at work has seen his car 5% thirstier and running 4C cooler than before he had it in. Now my Dad's car is out of warranty, he's not sure whether to get it done or not.

I thought the Mk7 was a Euro 6 engine and hence not affected?

I thought the same but apparently not. Perhaps the age of my Dads car is why? It was the first UK GTD seen on this website (registered 1st July 2013) - perhaps the earlier ones were set up a little differently? Maybe it is a DSG variant thing? My colleague has a DSG GTD and his was also an early one (Aug 13) - the oiltemp never goes above 96C now, it was always up to 102C on a good run or 106C when hammering it. His regens are a little more frequent too. Lower operating temp is going to produce more soot and less NOx.
« Last Edit: 31 August 2016, 10:34 by monkeyhanger »

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5192 on: 31 August 2016, 07:57 »
Looks almost identical damage pattern to when my 2 week old mk5 Golf got clipped by a bus (apart from the additional damage caused by pushing my car into the car in front). New rear quarter panel, new wheel, new rear bumper, new rear axle, maybe some new componnents attached to said axle - about £8k damage. Make sure you check the colour match in all lights - pearl black can be a bugger to match, more noticeable in overcast conditions.

After seeing the perpetrator on the way to the police station, do you yhink they'd stopped to wait and see if you'd come back (as you'd left the roundabout one way and they another) or was it a genuine hit and run?

Yeah a fair bit of damage I suspect.  When you look under the wheel arch, it looks like there's some kind of damage but not sure exactly what, can see a stray piece of panel detached.  Plus it rattles over every uneven road surface but that might be the panels pushed out of alignment.

I really don't know if it was hit and run or what their van driver's intentions were when they pulled off the roundabout into a side road.  It happened on the city's busiest roundabout at a busy time and I pulled the car just off the dual carriageway into a side access about 10mtr (but visible from) from the accident point.  Then the witness pulled in so I needed to get their details.  Due to the one way system and traffic it was about 12-15 mins by the time I got to round to the road they had disappeared into.  It was when I left that road and got back onto the DC (one way) to drive back up to the roundabout and round, that the multicoloured van caught my eye about 30 meters ahead.  At that time I hadn't had the detailed description of the van from the witness so didn't realise that was the likely offending vehicle.  I was scanning for any kind of big van, of which there were many. 

Tbh, and I don't like to make generalisations, but once I knew that was the van (or most likely) my immediate thoughts were - possibly no insurance, dodgy!    I've got to go back to police today to give them details of the van and then I'll be going to see CCTV Central Control at the council.  Got an OK nights sleep but still gutted!
« Last Edit: 31 August 2016, 07:59 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5193 on: 31 August 2016, 08:00 »
There is a dieselgate update for GTDs - my Dad has been requested to come in for his, but a colleague at work has seen his car 5% thirstier and running 4C cooler than before he had it in. Now my Dad's car is out of warranty, he's not sure whether to get it done or not.

Won't you get it regardless if the main dealer service it?

The main dealer probably won't see it again, there's a good vw specialst independent my dad uses once the warranty is up and the service pack is spent.

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5194 on: 31 August 2016, 09:49 »
Someone else did this to it.... :cry:

Out and about in the car on work business this afternoon and hit in the rear coming off a roundabout by a transit type van.  Hit my passenger side rear wing and bumper.  Fair bit of damage to rear off side wing, bumper, rear light and the wheel and damage under wheel arch.   F**king hell!

Absolutely gutted for you Bec :angry:. It's bad enough that these things happen to anybody, but when you put as much time and effort into keeping a car as immaculate as you do then it makes it even more upsetting.

Hope they find the idiot who did it and it gets sorted soon! I try not to make generalisations either, but when you see a van like that with panels painted different colours I immediately think it's dodgy too.

Thankfully at least there are some decent people around as the witness stopped to give you some details  :smiley:
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #5195 on: 31 August 2016, 09:57 »
Damn  :cry:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5196 on: 31 August 2016, 10:06 »
Filled up just before home yesterday. New distance and economy record for a single tank  :grin:. It took 48.59 litres to fill to the first click (as I always do). I feel like the car is getting better and better economy as it puts more miles on the clock and it's now just over 10K. I can regularly get into the high 50s and sometimes just over 60 on the way to and from work (unless its doing a DPF re-gen) this last month. Maybe I'm using my right foot a bit less, but I don't really think that much less. :laugh:

Got home and finished off cleaning the interior - dashboard and all interior plastics/glass in the front, so now it's all spotless ready for service tomorrow.
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #5197 on: 31 August 2016, 10:34 »
OMFG Rebecca, that's terrible  :sick: :sick: :sick:

Hope you're ok - and you don't want to hear this now, but at least no one was hurt...
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5198 on: 31 August 2016, 11:19 »
Terrible news Booth, so sorry for you. Hope it all gets sorted to your satisfaction and quickly.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5199 on: 31 August 2016, 11:26 »
Dropped mine off at the dealer to get my creaking and rattling door sorted. Not quite the Lamborghini I was expecting as a loan car:

Drives okay, bit plasticky inside but it is rattle free. The worst thing about it though is it's auto gearbox, I've never driven an auto this bad it's awful. It takes ages to change and if you have your foot down (and you need to to keep up with everyone else) it lurches which gets pretty annoying and would likely make your passengers feel :sick:. My 1978 Capri had a better gearbox than this!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.