Author Topic: Back in the fold  (Read 3161 times)

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
Back in the fold
« on: 13 September 2023, 14:46 »

Had an enjoyable year with the MK6 GTI but having had a 7R and then TCR it was always inevitable that would return to an R again, and here we are in full storm trooper guise a 2019 Golf R with FVWSH with recent full service including Haldex.

Collected on v wet day, and it’s good to be back in an R again.

19” Black Pretoria on Continental Contact Sport 7
Dynaudio
Privacy Glass
Keyless
Gloss Black Mirrors
Rear View Camera
Rear Airbags, seat belt warning

« Last Edit: 13 September 2023, 15:29 by Hertsman »
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Back in the fold
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2023, 15:57 »
Congratulations! Didn't take long!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2023, 16:16 »
Congratulations! Didn't take long!

Yes, just replied to a similar response on VWROC, with this, its just that nag in head, and sometimes you just have to shut it down. :)

"As well cared for and as lovely as the GTI was, there was obviously some lacking, in some of the modern tech and in experience, and they do nag at you, so we decided to just hit it right on the head and go all in on something that has everything and cannot think of anything we not have given its a MK 7.5 with the upgraded media and driving display. 

Another decider is that when went looking, the prices have moderated and there is more appetite to meet on a price, especially now many of the Sept trade ins have landed, and forecourts are actually awash with new MK 8 and exchange MK 7x 

The dealer looked beyond the number plate of the GTI and so its condition and history meant something and price we received was way beyond what WBAC and the like were offering, and all this bundled together meant we had enough bang for buck to bring into budget."
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 19 September 2023, 18:13 »
…followed your directions to here on the 128 thread Hertsman and wow! I really wasn’t expecting to see this revelation any time soon.
Firstly congratulations on the new purchase, it certainly ticks all the right boxes for spec and (as far as I’m concerned) colour.
She looks quite the perfect purchase to be honest.

Whilst I never imagined you’d keep the ED35 forever I did expect a little longer, but I can certainly see why you’d have jumped at this particular R. Hopefully it’ll be a keeper.

Only one slight fly in the ointment - you’ll still have cold hands in winter!!  :laugh: (Well, half the time anyway) which brings me onto the question: how does it feel directly back to back against the 128?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 19 September 2023, 21:28 »
…followed your directions to here on the 128 thread Hertsman and wow! I really wasn’t expecting to see this revelation any time soon.
Firstly congratulations on the new purchase, it certainly ticks all the right boxes for spec and (as far as I’m concerned) colour.
She looks quite the perfect purchase to be honest.

Whilst I never imagined you’d keep the ED35 forever I did expect a little longer, but I can certainly see why you’d have jumped at this particular R. Hopefully it’ll be a keeper.

Only one slight fly in the ointment - you’ll still have cold hands in winter!!  :laugh: (Well, half the time anyway) which brings me onto the question: how does it feel directly back to back against the 128?

Good evening Sir

Think it’s a case of what you imagine something to be vs the reality

Really loved getting the GTI it was ticking a box, always wanted a modern classic, but you drive it, you drive it some more and the missing starts, it has not got this, it does not do that, and so on, which nags.

The honesty moment was that we basically missed the TCR in terms of its facelift features and modern tech plus the pace, and the reason went back to the R is this is in reality the wife’s car and she loved my previous R more than the TCR, the more planted drive and ride, which with fact R prices are moderated by increased numbers made it a really easy decision. Fortunately the dealer did not just look at number plate but condition mileage and service history meant we got offer way beyond WBAC and like and made the price for change much less than would have paid 6-12 months ago, bit like old days where could talk a deal!

The brief was to get a car that misses nothing and so we not get back into a position again of looking beyond which think achieved in drive and tech package.

Actually forgot how great the R is, brought home in torrential rain and was super assured, and having stretched its legs at weekend, it’s such a solid pacy drive, it’s hard to fault, and with all the MK7.5 tech it’s nice place to sit, and the white/black is my preferred, think it’s car looking it’s best and as Star Wars fan there is obvious leaning to Storm Trooper look 😀

Have just got myself a TCR lip spoiler to add, think it will complete the look nicely, will install at weekend

Of course have the 128ti and there is marked difference, it’s quite GTI, front end light and lively with good pace, whereas the R feels planted with its added weight of the 2 gearboxes, so they genuinely offer different experiences just excellent ones to what each designed to do.

It’s likely as first time back in R after 4 years but choosing to drive the R for pleasure drives but conscious that company car is one to rack up miles on for the longer runs, averaging near 1000 month in 128ti at moment due to some demands need to administer.

Glad went through process with the GTI as enjoyed the brief ownership and it clarified what really wanted, and super happy to have the R as a result

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2023, 15:37 »
And a good afternoon/evening to you kind sir!

I certainly can see your logic and processes going in to the purchase, and definitely think as a long time keeper it’ll look after you well and continue to feel modern and hold its own as far as useable and useful tech is concerned.
A really good example of a modern classic in waiting.

The TCR lip spoiler was on my mind funnily enough when I first looked at the photos. You’re ahead of the game there  :cool:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 21 September 2023, 15:29 »
And a good afternoon/evening to you kind sir!

I certainly can see your logic and processes going in to the purchase, and definitely think as a long time keeper it’ll look after you well and continue to feel modern and hold its own as far as useable and useful tech is concerned.
A really good example of a modern classic in waiting.

The TCR lip spoiler was on my mind funnily enough when I first looked at the photos. You’re ahead of the game there  :cool:

Think the MK 7x R deserved the TCR lip Spoiler as standard, as adds a little more of that sporting intent and presence but in keeping with rest of the R trim, its a perfect complement and completes the look for me  :smiley:

And yes, think we may have moved the modern classic on a few years,  :smiley: but as there was obvious missing on the MK 6 GTI in terms of tech and the nice to haves, cannot think of anything that would ever need beyond what this R has, bit like iPhone for cars now, the innovation has peaked and there is not much more functionality anyone could wish for, so its just more memory, faster processor, better screen,

We will def run this one up to ten years and keep immaculate and even beyond.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 21 September 2023, 20:47 »
I can well remember looking out of an upstairs window at my TCR appreciating just how much of a lift the little rear lip gave to the car’s aesthetics. Typically Germanic, less is more (unlike the TCR rear valance which I never really gelled with).

I’ll remind you of this conversation if you put the R up for sale in a couple years… 😁
It certainly seems the perfect example to me.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2023, 10:57 »
I can well remember looking out of an upstairs window at my TCR appreciating just how much of a lift the little rear lip gave to the car’s aesthetics. Typically Germanic, less is more (unlike the TCR rear valance which I never really gelled with).

I’ll remind you of this conversation if you put the R up for sale in a couple years… 😁
It certainly seems the perfect example to me.

Actually think we genuinely settled on this one now, but please do :)

However, it does not stop  :grin: already thinking what next for the 128Ti!

Not renewing company car for many reasons, this be my last, so will have to purchase my own and budget does not stretch to new, so it will be used, and would have definitely looked at MK 8 R or Clubsport but just could not trust that not get a buggy one, and the MK 8.5 will be relatively new, so at a cost beyond, which is all a shame as would have liked to had the improved driving experience many mention.

Could keep the 128Ti, depending on what money lease are talking, but have got used to the 3 year and change cycle, so maybe an S3, M135i or even a return to a TCR as the FWD running mate for the R?? really do not know if honest.

In seriousness, 2024 is really a year off for thinking next car, which will actually be nice, just enjoying ones have, but early 2025 it will be game on as the clock ticks to return of the 128Ti (though redundancy talk is in wind again, so who ever really knows :))

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 22 September 2023, 17:47 »

In seriousness, 2024 is really a year off for thinking next car, which will actually be nice, just enjoying ones have, but early 2025 it will be game on as the clock ticks to return of the 128Ti (though redundancy talk is in wind again, so who ever really knows :))

With the exception of power, given the level of the mk7.5 I'd personally say there is no great difference between a 7.5 and any new car on the road if specced appropriately.

Cars in their purest forms didn't really change much from the 90s until 2013/14 when the mk7 came out. Everything had a cupholder and a radio, digital if you're fancy. When CarPlay came out it was the only real drive for many to change, remove that and they're still fairly similar.

Obviously dynamics and power move on but they have to with each model, but I'd firmly say with a mk7.5 or any car from 2017 if specced correctly, you won't miss half the tech! A heated steering wheel, DCC, ventilated seats, wireless phone charging etc is nice to have, but ultimately not needed.

Get a nice example with the toys you want, keep it clean and in 10 years you'll still be saying is it worth changing a good car for a heated steering wheel and a heads up display.

Unless you buy a Clubsport S then you probably should spec Air Con.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/