Author Topic: Who would you trust to refurb your Monza Shadows?  (Read 4241 times)

Offline Pld118

• GTI forum regular
Who would you trust to refurb your Monza Shadows?
« on: 13 April 2014, 19:30 »
Hi, I read through a thread on Monza shadow alloys today with interest and which has made me post this.

Recently bought a stock 2010MY GTi with the very smart 18" Monza Shadow alloys (genuine VW).

They are in good condition all round and I believe that the main dealer had at least one of the wheel faces refurb'd before I saw the car, along with an area of blistering black gloss finish around one of the tyre valves. 

Having had the car a couple of weeks now, for me, when closely looking at the wheels, the inner rims are caked in grime etc.  They might clean up but I suspect that there will be some subtle overspray from any rims that have had a wheel face refurb that will mean they'll not clean up fully to their original glory. One of the wheels is showing light signs of milking on the wheel face and there are slight under surface imperfections on some of the wheel face black gloss inserts.  Your average person wouldn't notice or care about this but I do and I suspect, I'll just pick off a wheel or two month by month and have them (tyres off) fully refurb'd inside and out.

My company of choice for alloy refurbs is the excellent Wheelrite, Chorley, Lancs.  I believe they do diamond cut refurbing, although I've never had diamond cut wheels before.  Has anyone used them for diamond cut refurbs or has anyone got any other top recc's for such a job. 

I'm v fussy so whoever I use would need to be spot on and in the absence of any recc's to the contrary I'd have no hesitation in using Wheelrite.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: Who would you trust to refurb your Monza Shadows?
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2014, 19:59 »
were in scotland are you  :smiley:

Offline Pld118

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2014, 20:29 »
Falkirk/ Central

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2014, 20:34 »
If you are wholly confident about Wheelrite, then why not just go with them.  Lepsons are a very reputable company and do diamond cut refurbs.  They are down south but you can send the wheels off and they usually offer free courier/carriage.

As it takes about 3-4 days to refurb a diamond cut wheel, would it not be better to bite the bullet and get all 4 done at the same time?  Car would be out of action for less time that way, unless you have another car or a set of replacement wheels to use.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Mattyj

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2014, 09:34 »
Lepsons are very salty on price

Offline Pld118

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 10 October 2014, 05:36 »
For anyone interested, I put a nearly new diamond cut 18" BMW alloy wheel into the Wheel Repair Centre, Bamber Bridge, Preston, Lancs for repair on Tuesday.  It was ready yesterday afternoon but will be collected today.  Had 2 rim edge gouges (1" long and 1/2" long) plus some very light scuffing around the rim edge. 

Due to the gouges it needed a full, tyre off refurb of the entire wheel concluded by a diamond cut finish on the lathe.

Had there been scuffs only and no gouges, they could have "smart repaired" the wheel for £60.  However, the full refurb was £120 for one wheel!  :shocked:

They say they would charge the same price to fully refurb one 18" Monza Shadow alloy.

I'll post on the standard of the work later but they are highly recommended.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 10 October 2014, 07:49 »
For anyone interested, I put a nearly new diamond cut 18" BMW alloy wheel into the Wheel Repair Centre, Bamber Bridge, Preston, Lancs for repair on Tuesday.  It was ready yesterday afternoon but will be collected today.  Had 2 rim edge gouges (1" long and 1/2" long) plus some very light scuffing around the rim edge. 

Due to the gouges it needed a full, tyre off refurb of the entire wheel concluded by a diamond cut finish on the lathe.

Had there been scuffs only and no gouges, they could have "smart repaired" the wheel for £60.  However, the full refurb was £120 for one wheel!  :shocked:

They say they would charge the same price to fully refurb one 18" Monza Shadow alloy.

I'll post on the standard of the work later but they are highly recommended.

:shocked:  Is that price inclusive of vat?  That's very expensive.  Lepsons charge £90 (inc vat) for a diamond cut refurb 18" wheel.  Granted they are other end of the UK but offer free carriage.

Anyway, glad it's sorted  :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 10 October 2014, 07:59 »
Falkirk/ Central

I was at Skidz the other day and they have reps on the shelve. They part exchanged my MK7 Rs for the MK6s and new tyres. Got a good deal.
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.

Offline Pld118

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 11 October 2014, 10:03 »
@Booth11, yes £120 incl VAT and I dropped off/ picked the wheel up too.

I agree it's very expensive although having now received the wheel back, it does appear to have been returned, repaired to factory new standard.  They do not guarantee their diamond cut refurbs  (I don't think many places do).  The company does have a very good reputation.

Of interest was the fact that they told me they will also cosmetically refurb brake calipers (if you deliver them off the vehicle) by means of powder coat finish to pretty much any flat gloss colour the customer wants for £30 for the first caliper and £10 per caliper thereafter, so £40/pair or £60 for four.