Author Topic: Who's running a Bluefinned mk6?  (Read 14235 times)

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
Re: Who's running a Bluefinned mk6?
« Reply #20 on: 25 October 2011, 19:38 »
A dealership in London, which is part of a National Franchise, is offering a Superchip Individual Map as a VW Map for around £800.
I can get an Individual Map from Superchips for £399 and a Generic Map with Bluefin for £499. A few pounds here or there is of little concern to me but not the £800 the dealer wishes to charge!
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 26 October 2011, 05:10 »
Jim I've spoken to JKM a few times in the past as I was recommended their excellent service by various members of other forums. They didn't disappoint me and gave me excellent advice. They really are a lesson in customer service. I'd be happy to spend my money there but will likely go mail order Bluefin through them as it is now winter and I'm going into hibernation as I hate the cold and the wet and the dark.

Ken I'm very reliably informed that with Bluefin you can run stage 2 straight away with just a panel filter. It isn't the same as REVO's stage 2 and won't be as aggressive but doesn't require the same amount of hardware upgrades. So it all depends on how far you want to go with your bolt ons.
Once running Stg 2 Bluefin the cat back exhaust will obviously work fine with no extra mapping tweaks needed but don't expect big gains from a cat back. Don't expect any gains at all!! A cat back is just a bit of bling really.
If you want your car to boost to high RPMs you will really need a K04 turbo'd GTI. These give a much lazier pick up (unless running with a good map) at low revs but make the car feel much more deep lunged and will boost and boost until the revs run out.
Personally I prefer the low speed pick up of the small turbo GTI as it suits my driving style and content, but if you want to do track work the K04 GTI (ED30, 35 and R) will rev out much better and feel like a bigger displacement engine.

GolfTi Thanks for the link to your old review. Excellent reading. And you are correct with the insurance increase as that's what they loaded me with previously.  :smiley:

Asker JKM do the Bluefin mail order for £405 at the moment.
« Last Edit: 26 October 2011, 05:14 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #22 on: 26 October 2011, 08:06 »
Your all mad , just get down to Doc's place stop p*ssing around with the other Idiots  :wink:

Tiguan quicker than the Golf

Offline mkviken

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 26 October 2011, 09:59 »
i want to be able to revert back to standard map from time to time and the 1 year warranty is peace of mind as my car is only a month old which is why i like the idea of the bluefin.

i had a look at jim and £405 is a great price - they have a warning stating that some TSI engines have a ECU locked so it can't be remapped however. you have 7 days to try and buy though.

exonian - do you have an after market exhaust fitted to you car? i would have thought even a cat back would have made an extra few bhp or certainly made it more free revving?

i will look into the stage 2 a bit more - i know on the renaultsport engines a stage 2 is only  worth doing if a sport cat is fitted as the OE cat would be destroyed with the more aggressive map.

not sure if the golf is the same but as I'm keeping the OE down pipe and cat i would need to make sure the stage 2 map is suitable

cheers
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 26 October 2011, 13:32 »
I've just driven a Bluefinned GTI this morning and was very impressed. The otherwise standard car had a considerable lot more urge in the mid range, from when I drove it in standard form a couple of weeks ago. 5th gear from 3000rpm was very impressive, with no lag or noticable falling off of power at the top end. Having said that, you didn't need any more than 6000rpm and a change up put you right back into the guts of the torque curve.

I liked it. I liked it alot.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 26 October 2011, 16:20 »
i want to be able to revert back to standard map from time to time and the 1 year warranty is peace of mind as my car is only a month old which is why i like the idea of the bluefin.

i had a look at jim and £405 is a great price - they have a warning stating that some TSI engines have a ECU locked so it can't be remapped however. you have 7 days to try and buy though.

exonian - do you have an after market exhaust fitted to you car? i would have thought even a cat back would have made an extra few bhp or certainly made it more free revving?

i will look into the stage 2 a bit more - i know on the renaultsport engines a stage 2 is only  worth doing if a sport cat is fitted as the OE cat would be destroyed with the more aggressive map.

not sure if the golf is the same but as I'm keeping the OE down pipe and cat i would need to make sure the stage 2 map is suitable

cheers
No exhaust for me.
Extra 40-50 bhp from a remap = £400-600; good value.
Extra 2-7bhp from a filter = £30-70; make of that what you will but not bad value in the grand scheme of things as you could probably get £20 back on it when you sell up again and it's free to fit.
Extra 2-5bhp from a cat back = £300 - ???; Not for me unless the car was about 5 years old and the original one was falling to bits, I'd rather spend £30 on some tail pipe trims.

ETTO and all that.  :smiley:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 26 October 2011, 16:35 »
Your all mad , just get down to Doc's place stop p*ssing around with the other Idiots  :wink:

You're quite right. In other circumstances that's exactly what I'd be doing. Thought very long and hard about this over quite some time.
But on a 6 month old car it'd be nice to have at least some sort of warranty on the mechanicals (even if it isn't worth the paper it is written on). The Superchips warranty and the VW warranty should cover any unlikely problems and if one of them blames the other and refuses to pay up there will be some mighty fine threads on the subject which will no doubt end up all over the internet as stuff like that goes viral very quickly. Reputations will be there to be lost and much fun will be poked at my misery!!!

And I'd like the car to be able to go back as standard as it is so young (if it was a year or so older I'd not be in the slightest bit bothered). I'm not sure if ALL handheld devices will work to revert a mk6 ECU back to standard.
I had a very similar handheld unit to Doc's for my mk5 GTI's map which I had wiped when I sold that car and tried to read the mk6 ECU with it to get a map for my last car. It didn't work on that ECU so I sold it back to the tuner.

The REVO was handy on my last car as I'm friendly with the local agent, so if there were issues that needed the car to go back to 100% stock such as to get readings from a malfunctioning standard engine component under stock load for easier diagnosis I could quickly get the original map flashed back. I don't fancy a 4 hour drive in a wonky car!!  :grin:

If however my ECU is locked out to a Bluefin device I'll be looking 'elsewhere' ... but it will just have to wait for a while longer  :nerd:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Jimmymature

« Reply #27 on: 26 October 2011, 17:18 »

cheers
No exhaust for me.
Extra 40-50 bhp from a remap = £400-600; good value.
Extra 2-7bhp from a filter = £30-70; make of that what you will but not bad value in the grand scheme of things as you could probably get £20 back on it when you sell up again and it's free to fit.
Extra 2-5bhp from a cat back = £300 - ???; Not for me unless the car was about 5 years old and the original one was falling to bits, I'd rather spend £30 on some tail pipe trims.

ETTO and all that.  :smiley:

Andy I wish the Milltek cat-back was £300!!!  When I last checked it was £700!!!!!!!

Jim

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 26 October 2011, 17:33 »

Andy I wish the Milltek cat-back was £300!!!  When I last checked it was £700!!!!!!!

Jeez. The last time I bought a Milltek cat back was for my Leon Cupra in 2004. That was £265 back then.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Jimmymature

« Reply #29 on: 26 October 2011, 17:38 »

Jeez. The last time I bought a Milltek cat back was for my Leon Cupra in 2004. That was £265 back then.

Yep, £765 inc VAT for the resonated, 100mm GT tips from Revo!!!!  I know some places say they are cheaper but I wonder about real stock levels etc.

Added: Awesome GTI are doing the same for £637.55 inc VAT

Jim
« Last Edit: 26 October 2011, 17:40 by Jimmymature »