Author Topic: Brain pick  (Read 2583 times)

Offline pro7dave

• Not said much yet
Brain pick
« on: 04 April 2007, 16:43 »
Hi guys, I,ve just recently aquried a mk1 golf gti after many years away from my favourite shape golf.
Basically i competed for many years in various hillclimbs and sprint.but because it had to be the correct engine for the body it was always with 8 valve engines.But having run a ABF engined road car i am quite keen on running one off these.Basically the kind of help i'm after is silly stuff  like is it best to run a old KR head or what cams work best ,who does the best exhaust manifolds. You know that kind of thing. I'm a mechanic by trade so no worries there.I have just lost touch a little with the scene.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Dave.

Offline pro7dave

• Not said much yet
Re: Brain pick
« Reply #1 on: 06 April 2007, 11:19 »
No worries, thanks guys i found out what i need to now anyway.

Offline Hypermonkey

• GTI forum regular
  • Only users lose drugs!
« Reply #2 on: 07 April 2007, 11:54 »
I run a Mk1 with ABF 2.0 bottom end, KR modified top end and cams...180bhp and 150ft/lbs with spot on fueling...and 800kgs :smiley:

You may be interested in this forum and section as there is tons of info...and joining is £10 and the discount card pays for itself at many places :wink:  http://www.clubgti.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28

There are other things to think about as well like the suspension etc. Where abouts are you as if you are anywhere near Reading then drop me a line and you can see the car and set up ans see if it's the direction you want to go, also might take out some 'trial and error' in something you might want to do :smiley:

Offline pro7dave

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 07 April 2007, 12:21 »
Power wise thats spot on the area i was looking at.This is in my opinion enough to make the car good and fast without throwing the chassis balance off.So yes i'm very interested.I live just outside coventry so not that far away.The MK1 i used to run on the hills ran full nylon bushes leda slick50 spec suspension one stock and one eibach ARB 1'5 degrees negative on the front with 15" sebrings running 195/50/15 yoko A539s with full tread and in the dry 195/45/15 with buffed to 3mm AVS.The car also had a self built close ratio box with quaife atb diff.The car had a half cage and was a little heavier than your because of having to run so much trim for the road modified class.Still did 37.2 at curborough.
As i have been away from modded MK1s so long i figured the setups might have advanced.If you would like to share some info with me but no so publicly as the board then feel free to email me at wetton69@hotmail.com
Thanks, look forward to hearing from you.
Dave.
PS i will try to scan some pics of the car in, it was quite well known in the mid 90s and never finished outside the top three at various gti sprints etc.
« Last Edit: 07 April 2007, 12:29 by pro7dave »

Offline Hypermonkey

• GTI forum regular
  • Only users lose drugs!
« Reply #4 on: 07 April 2007, 12:59 »
Is it black with a chequered roof by chance  :wink:

Offline Hypermonkey

• GTI forum regular
  • Only users lose drugs!
« Reply #5 on: 07 April 2007, 13:07 »
I'll dig out some contacts for you for heads/suspension(ball joint extenders) and brake pads/disk suppliers who do good direct deals :wink:

I'm at Coombe next week and will post some footage.
Here's the spec of mine.....
2L 16v ‘abf’ Engine with flowed head and KR cams, modified air intake, 4 branch manifold with 2.5” Jetex Rally system, Baffled sump, Lightened Flywheel, Lukazade home mahe catch tank with Piper X filter

Helix Clutch with HD pressure plate and sprung organic friction disc.

Close ratio box - 3.89 FD and ATB LSD diff
with rose jointed linkage, quickshift and extended lever

Quaiffe quickrack 2.9 turns

Revised geometry - Ball joint spacers and rose jointed trackrods
To allow addition lowering without affecting factory rollcentres

Avo Coilover adjustable suspension with a selection of spring rates and solid adjustable eccentric topmounts(running 400lbs rear and 350 lbs front)

Converted to studs front and rear for easier wheel changing.

Eibach Anti Roll bars

Front lower and rear upper Strut braces and polybushed throughout.

VR6/G60 front brakes (280’s) with race pads and braided hoses

6 point Rollcentre cage with Harness bar

Luke Harnesses (6 point driver, 4 point passenger)

Polycarb windows and fully stripped interior, inc sound deadening and sunroof removed.

Cobra Monaco seats, (drivers side adjustable)

OMP Deep dish Corsica Wheel with Sparco 50mm spacer( now OMP racing flat bottom wheel)

2 sets of wheels with slicks and Toyo 888’s and a spare set of slicks (running Toyo T1 S as they flex a bit and soften the ride)

At Spa :smiley:

Offline pro7dave

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 07 April 2007, 14:09 »
My car was just mars red with door squares i'll try and scan some picks in soon.
Now then i know your car, a mate of mine lives and works at the ring as i remember your car runs about 81/2 mins round there dosent it?The spec is indeed a good one for the trackday scene and quite possibly a race winner from what i can see.
Was your car not up for sale not that long ago?
On the fueling front what setup is it and also what intake manifold are you using?
Any contacts will be great.I'm generally not to bad at firing decent stuff together as i've worked in motorsport related jobs for the last 22 years.
« Last Edit: 07 April 2007, 14:15 by pro7dave »

Offline Hypermonkey

• GTI forum regular
  • Only users lose drugs!
« Reply #7 on: 07 April 2007, 14:50 »
Yep the car did the Ring with Ian (guy who built the car) doing 8.51  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COdjeiww0I0

he says with a driver who knows the track you can get 8.10-20 out of it. I bought the car from him earlier this year and after being accepted to buy it (he turned a few people down as he wanted it to get well used and lokked after) so you might have seen it on Pistonheads.

The injection system is from the Mk2 16v (K-jet) and Storm Developements www.stormdevelopments.co.uk put the car on the rollers and found the fueling a little lean at the top (common for k-jey 16v) so set it up for 0.85 through the whole range. The inlet and zorst are polished and ported (details in a pm tomorrow of the supplier) but standard fit Mk2 16v. I can't recomend Storm enough...they look after my Mk3 16v Amd as well and do great work and offer so much help. I've spent time in thier workshop as they let me use some space when needed as I've passed on lots of work to them, just because they are so good.

Car does constant 0-60 5.2 and will go on to 145(datalogged) and is set for reliability as much as power. I did get 194bhp and 137ft/lbs but opted for the fueling and 180bhp 150ft/lbs as it was more driveable and the power is accesible earlier on.

Simon.

Offline pro7dave

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 07 April 2007, 20:11 »
Cheers Simon look forward to hearing from you.I can see you being pestered a fair bit while my toy comes together.
Thanks, Dave.