Author Topic: 1.8T oil.  (Read 62005 times)

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
Re: 1.8T oil.
« Reply #30 on: 20 October 2008, 23:21 »
Mobil 1 is a quality oil, Rich, I used to use it on the 306 when I got if free at BMW, but I don't see the point of paying the extra for it, now, as I've had no problems (touch-wood) from using Synta Gold for the last 3.5 years on the Golf. :afro:

Ok cool thanks ivor :afro:

How much is it from VW? or dont you get it fro VW?  :smiley:

I've only ever bought 1 ltr top-up's (when I had the knackered KO3), TBH, I think that was £5.50ish?? :undecided:

Ok thanks bud :afro:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
« Reply #31 on: 20 October 2008, 23:25 »
So what oil are you gonna go with Rich?

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
« Reply #32 on: 20 October 2008, 23:27 »
So what oil are you gonna go with Rich?

Synta Gold fully synth 5w40 i think. As said VW stock it.

Wonder what VW will say to you bob........ :rolleyes:

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
« Reply #33 on: 20 October 2008, 23:28 »
I don't hold much faith in them, awful dealership!

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #34 on: 21 October 2008, 08:08 »
just to throw something in - this is from TT

Stick with any of the VW specified oils from the major manufacturers (Castrol, Shell, Elf, Motul, Fuchs), but avoid Mobil 1 (because they lie about their VW approval), Comma, Millers, and the other smaller manufacturers.

Any good?

wouldn't touch Mobil 1 i'm afraid!

not a 1.8T but i've used Fuchs oil in mine at the last service and everything seems ok so far  :smiley:

Offline Matt_Mk4

• Here all the time
« Reply #35 on: 21 October 2008, 08:22 »
Use 5W 30 Fully Synthetic in mine!

Offline Ant1981

• I live here
  • Feed me, prod me
« Reply #36 on: 21 October 2008, 17:00 »
am i the only person in the world who thinks castrol magnatec actually destroys engines?

Yeah, more than likely.

its not unfounded:-
latest addition to the dub  family mk2vr6 was advertised as a smoker, apparent stem seals, changed oil to aftermarket 10w40 3000 miles on no oil use..
when the oil was introduced years ago, brend new (recon actually) engine in my 205xs - 500 miles on magnatec and it was tapping like riverdance, changed back to a generic 10w40 and again silent engine...
saxo VTR first service 10K, used this stuff again, slight tapping again.. went to some comma 10w40 and a nice silent - but crap engine... (reasoning behind doing a DIY service was i imprted it from belgium personally and only has 12mth warranty)

just my personal preference i suppose but id put any premium motor factors brand in over that any day

If it's not unfounded, do you have technical proof that it is castrol that caused this and also the legal backing to suggest such a statement?
80% of your posts are total tripe, as they are mostly replies to sh1te posts created by the morons that, unfortunately this forum attracts.

'02 VW Golf 1.8 GTi Turbo - 186,000 miles
'09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
1990 VW Golf GTi 16V - Gone but not forgotten
Currently considering next car

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
« Reply #37 on: 21 October 2008, 19:24 »

Stick with any of the VW specified oils from the major manufacturers (Castrol, Shell, Elf, Motul, Fuchs), but avoid Mobil 1 (because they lie about their VW approval), Comma, Millers, and the other smaller manufacturers.

Any good?

not a 1.8T but i've used Fuchs oil in mine at the last service and everything seems ok so far  :smiley:

Is Fuchs from the dealers aswell bud?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #38 on: 22 October 2008, 07:47 »

Any good?

Is Fuchs from the dealers aswell bud?

not sure mate - seen somewhere there is speculation that Fuchs is factory fill stuff  :undecided:

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #39 on: 22 October 2008, 21:23 »
that will prob be the same stuff as I had Rich, check the part number  :smiley:

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175