Author Topic: 45h845h - mk3 1.4  (Read 6569 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
45h845h - mk3 1.4
« on: 31 January 2008, 13:42 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Ashley

• I live here
Re: 45h845h - mk3 1.4
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2008, 00:48 »
OK - I've been meaning to do this for too long now, I've decided now's the time.

The History
I bought this car in June 2007 from a friend who'd just lost his license. He was caught drink driving in it and when he knew he'd eventually lose his license (again) because of it he semi-abandoned looking after the car and it ended up suffering.

I bought the car for the princely sum of £230.  Some might say that's nothing, but it did need considerable loving to bring the car even slightly upto scratch. The driver side front brake pad went down to the metal, obviously he left it for so long the disc practically disintegrated and warped, the whole wheel covered in brake dust, even to the extent that a quarter of the tyre had balded smooth.

I had to do the following to the car to bring it back to what anyone would consider 'safe':

+2x Front Brake Discs - These were completely obliterated.
+2x Front Brake Pads - Again, these were buggered and the driverside was warped to say the least
+2x Rear Brakde Shoes - These didn't NEED doing, but I figured I might aswell've at the time.
+4x New Tyres - These were no-where need the minimum legal requirements and needed doing.
+New Backbox - This had a crack right down the middle of it, I'll post a pic up of this pronto.

« Last Edit: 09 March 2008, 23:45 by 45h845h »

Offline Ashley

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2008, 15:54 »
Just like everything else in my life I've managed to get side-tracked and forgot to keep this project post up to date.. In fact the things I'm listing now are stuff I did up to a year ago, so I need to sit down and really work on this.

Bububububububububububub.
Well since I did the 5 points listed above, the car really needed to be brought back up to scratch in the sense that I needed to get a smooth, safe ride which is solid. Golf's are solid, so why wasn't this 1?

There was a definite problem with 1 of the rear bearings. It felt as if they'd gone, but even after I'd changed them the noise was still there. In the end it turned out to be the seat which the rear bearings sit in, inside the brake drums. The ring itself had a groove inside it where it'd worn down, kind of like a crease. After changing these on both sides the car felt a lot better.

Aerial, lack thereof
OK, when I bought the car it's aerial had been snapped off in true chav style, so this needed fixing as at the moment I'm either driving round listening to CD's (not so bad, i spose) or whitenoise.mmmmm white noise.

Because of my intentions of the car, I decided to move the aerial away from the o/s wing and up onto the back of the roof. So I bought a wing blank for £2 from ebay, not as horrific as I thought it would look on the car. Infact it looks quite subtle and leaves a nice finish. I then boughta complete aerial, again from ebay, and took the plunge on removing the headlining and drilling the roof of the car to fit the aerial. I then ran the lead of the aerial along the o/s of the car to the side of the seats, down underneath the front door then up into the back of the head unit via the rear of the dash.

At first it only worked when stationary, so I figured it must've been shortening out somewhere. It came to me that it must be the slight piece of raised metal where the bolt comes out of the main part of the aerial, so I took the aerial back off, ground back the said piece of metal, then re-attached and it worked absolutely fine. Job's a good'n.

Offline Ashley

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2008, 16:05 »
Speak up, lad.

Next came some sounds. The mk3 1.4 3 door only has two speakers in the dash, which sound turd, so I decided I needed something a little extra to make the drive to work a little bit more enjoyable.

The thing which prompted me to do something about the sound was when an email went round work from a guy was selling some Infinity 6x9's which he'd bought for "£120", and was selling them for £40 so in a moment of madness (harhar  :tongue:) I decided to get them.
A friend told me if I made a custom shelf I would get a lot better response from the speakers, so I could either make a completely new shelf or adapt the old shelf with some MDF to hold the speakers and get a decent response.

I decided to go for the whole new shelf option, so went to Homebase and bought a decent size of MDF and used the old parcel shelf to get an outline, cut the MDF out, cut the speakers after making templates for the speakers then as soon as I was happy with the whole shelf with speakers fitting nicely I then covered the thing in black fabric.

Offline Ashley

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2008, 16:16 »
The Whining
Again, ever since I got the car it's had this whining noise which was engine/rev related and occasionally had my friends at work thinking I'd come into work on a moped!

I took it to the garage as all I knew was that it was possibly belt related, and likely to be the auxilary belt.. I had the guy at the garage do the cambelt and aux belt, then while he was at it look into the noise and hopefully get it fixed. He came back and said after taking each belt/component off and spinning it in a clamp he was confident it was the power steering pump.

So, like anyone would, I got this done. To my horror it revealed another, quiteter whine which wasn't so much of an annoyance, but it would be good to this fixed. To this date I've not actually got this fixed as the guy at the garage was all "well, i was confidentm, but it has to be the water pump" etc, so it can wait.

Offline Ashley

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 05 August 2008, 21:29 »
OK - Before the forum went a bit awol I did have my full boot build detailed here, which took a while so I'm going to wait until I've got some more time before I put this back on.

Anywho, for the time being - I've now got HIC Insurance (woop woop martin!) so I'm able to modify on my policy!

List of things to do/done:

G60 Black Steelies - £150 (eBay)
Tyres - £160ish
Hottuning Coilovers - £150
VR Top Mounts - £10.50
[/s]

Vento Front End
Bonnet - £25.12 (http://www.car-partsonline.co.uk)
Badged Grill - £25ish (eBay or the like probably)
Lights - £50 (http://www.car-partsonline.co.uk)
Front Bumper (part painted) - £35 (http://www.car-partsonline.co.uk)
Rear Bumper (part painted) - £41 (http://www.car-partsonline.co.uk)
Wings - £42 (http://www.car-partsonline.co.uk)

Blue Dash Speedo Lights - £20 (eBay)
Blue Switch LEDs - £14ish (eBay)

« Last Edit: 22 November 2008, 21:30 by 45h845h »

Offline Ashley

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 01 January 2009, 23:02 »
I've not really done a lot recently apart from the coilies.  Have managed to bugger the car up a little recently,  but I'm going to be giving it a service by doing the following:

Ordered from Eurocarparts:
Brake Pads (Front) - EBC Brakes - £15.52

Brake Discs (Front) - EBC Brakes - £27.01
Oil Filter - GSF - £3.25
Air Filter - GSF - £4.90
Spark Plugs - GSF - £6
sump plug
sump plug washer

To buy from Wilco tomorrow:
Brake cleaner - somewhere - £3.50
Change of Brake Fluid - GSF - £3.95
Engine Flush - GSF - £10.70
Change of Power Steering Fluid - GSF - £5.50
Change of Oil - VW - £30ish? £19.99 http://www.wilcodirect.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=233&products_id=1287

Already bought:
Fuel Filter - Already bought
Brake Shoes (Rear) - Already bought

Bought through the forum:
Fog Loom
Fog light blanks

Change of Coolant
Maybe a different Coolant Bottle
Check Air pressure in tyres
Clear any VAG COM faults 2 weeks before, then check for faults the week before and order anything which seems to be failing
Run Redex before the service

comes to 110.33 with the figures so far, so hoping to get it all under £130  when i do it
« Last Edit: 29 January 2009, 13:43 by 45h845h »