Author Topic: Steering  (Read 1296 times)

Offline edjay

• Not said much yet
Steering
« on: 18 February 2003, 10:59 »
The steering wheel on my mark 2 has to be turned 1/4 of a turn to the right in order to go in a straight line. The steering wheel does'nt look like it's been removed & the trackings seems ok, has anyone else had a similair problem ? Also when it's very cold I get a loud squeely noise coming through the dash, it sounds like it's behind the clocks when the temperature outside heats up the noise stops!! This is the second H plate GTI I've had with the same problem so I'm assuming it's fairly common..........any ideas?
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Re: Steering
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2003, 20:26 »
Sometimes if the tracking is adjusted (whether deliberately or accidental) you can get that happening. Any tyre place will usually advise you to check and alter you're steering wheel position if they have had to adjust tracking.
The squeely noise, does it sound like a vacuum leak? Could be that the vacuum pipe that connects to the back of the clocks, for the MFA, is leaking? Strange that it should only do it when cold mind.  :-/

mo3000

Re: Steering
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2003, 20:26 »
The squeeling is probably the speedo head or cable. Try putting a blob of grease on the end that fits into the speedo head, or else replace the cable.

If it still does it take the speedo head out of the instrument cluster, (simple believe me) and smear some light grease, or even Vaseline on the small gears and worm drive for the mileometer part of the speedo head.

Its a common problem on all VW's with cable drive speedo's so your in good company. :)