Author Topic: AcidicDavey's 96 Golf GTi Blue Colour Concept, GONE!  (Read 19804 times)

Offline AcidicDavey

• Here all the time
  • Not a VAG Owner.
Re: AcidicDavey's 96 Golf GTi Blue Colour Concept
« Reply #10 on: 03 July 2012, 16:01 »
You just need new plastic lugs (green things in the holes). They're pence from the dealer, and they will hold the new trim on perfectly provided the clips are intact on the mouldings themselves. Even if not, you can buy them for very little too!

Do you mean the little condom like things? as I've got them from the new clips I put on or do you mean things I don't have at all??

Yeah I suppose thats as good a comparison as any lol! There are a couple still in the door on one of your pictures. Worth getting new ones though, as they stretch over time, and I think there may actually be 2 different sizes too. If you look at the prongs on the "thingy" that goes into the "condom", there should be some with a bit more "girth" than others!  :grin:

I've got all new clips and 'condoms', I've tried putting the condoms in their slots then banging the trim in, but it's no good. They're very secure on the driver's side but on the other side you can take the strips off with just your finger and thumb, ie very loose! I dare not drive the car with them on that side in case they fall off! I'll have to glue them on, I have no choice!
95 Volvo 480 2.0 Celebration

Offline AcidicDavey

• Here all the time
  • Not a VAG Owner.
« Reply #11 on: 06 July 2012, 22:29 »
They're all clipped on the driver's side, I know I need new arch trims now!

Anyway, my radio arrived today so I went about removing my old unit, but while removing the surround I found the side-to-side blades of the vent!

The radio is in perfect working condition and is available to anyone who wants it for cheap.

The wiring was a right mess however, a connector has been chopped off and chocolate block connectors have been used, fortunately I only needed to swap over 3 wires but considering I have zero confidence when it comes to electrics I did ok!

Cage in.

In place and working! First time!

New cheap as chips surround stuck on with blue-tac as the new (Used) unit didn't have one just like my old one.

Looks crap as it's a little bit too big, will replace when the time comes.

That's all for now, I have some badges in the post so I'll post again when I receive them.

P.S. I apologise for this everyone but I'm getting increasingly tempted to fit a car bra to the bonnet as the leading edge is a little dented and a bit rusty! Sorry guys!

Offline AcidicDavey

• Here all the time
  • Not a VAG Owner.
« Reply #12 on: 11 July 2012, 14:22 »
New badges arrived today from someone on VPC who does some great work with a rattle can!

As you can see they are a very similar colour to the Comets on the V70.

I ordered a can of Jazz blue which arrived today to carry on painting the grille I got but it's white so that'll be back in the post!

Offline AcidicDavey

• Here all the time
  • Not a VAG Owner.
« Reply #13 on: 14 July 2012, 23:52 »
Looking low?

Engine bay needs a tidy up!

Offline AcidicDavey

• Here all the time
  • Not a VAG Owner.
« Reply #14 on: 19 July 2012, 17:44 »
Car's running perfect so I thought I'd clean her up to keep certain people happy but sorry for so many pics :(

Offline AcidicDavey

• Here all the time
  • Not a VAG Owner.
« Reply #15 on: 22 July 2012, 20:42 »
Did a bit of tidying today.

Best use of a stamp? Covering a huge stone chip to the paint.

Edge of the mirror.

For those that don't believe in the power of peanut butter!
Before:

During:

After (sorry for the blurriness):

And sticker for lols:

Offline AcidicDavey

• Here all the time
  • Not a VAG Owner.
« Reply #16 on: 24 July 2012, 13:14 »
A good and a bad day yesterday.

Firstly, my pin striping arrived so I could personalize the car further.
Looks really good imo, I was toying with the idea of blue but settled for white obviously!

I need to get a sticker now to cover this small mark on the rear bumper.

Also a friend was sat on the bonnet and scratched it quite deeply but I'm not not bothered as the leading edge is rusty plus there are dents all over it! Perfect excuse for a Vento front end?

Also as I'm an idiot I accidentally drove over my indicator bulb as I removed the lens as it was full of condensation and forgot about it and drove off so I'm going to need to replace the bulb and bulb holder plus a bit of wiring!

When I see I'm an idiot I really mean it lol

Offline AcidicDavey

• Here all the time
  • Not a VAG Owner.
« Reply #17 on: 26 July 2012, 17:58 »
I touched up the worn leather today on the driver's seat toady with some black paint dabbed where needed.

Before:

After:

That photo has really highlighted the depth of the damaged to the foam, in reality it doesn't look any were near as bad!

Also sprayed over the rear carpet where it had faded! Looks like new now!
« Last Edit: 26 July 2012, 18:00 by AcidicDavey »

Offline AcidicDavey

• Here all the time
  • Not a VAG Owner.
« Reply #18 on: 28 July 2012, 00:29 »
A better pic of the seat?

I got some standard front indicators and reflectors to replace the just plain awful chav spec chrome and black ones. I think these work well with the existing fogs.

I do intend to recover the headlining as it's sagging and dirty (plus it'll make good practice for when I do the Volvos which I want to do at some point) so I sprayed over the sunroof motor cover but ran out of paint during the first coat lol. O well, it's a start!

The rear carpet looks like new but is slightly crispy to the touch, but how often are you stroking the carpet?

Offline AcidicDavey

• Here all the time
  • Not a VAG Owner.
« Reply #19 on: 29 July 2012, 15:31 »
I cleaned the leather up yesterday and I'm so impressed with the results.

I used Gliptone Leather Cleaner and Conditioner which is a 2 part process.

I followed the instructions on the bottles and here are the results of an hours work!

Before, the leather was very shiney and a bit grubby with spilt milk on the rear set along with a few marks here and there.

Front before:

Front now:

Rear before:

Now:

You car clearly see despite the bad pics that the leather has a much more natural matte look to it now. What you can't get from the pics is that the leather is much more supple to the touch and the smell is fantastic! No really, it is! The car is filled with the fantastic smell of old English leather.

I guess I'll have to do the V70 now ;)