Author Topic: Is your warrenty void when you tint your front windows?  (Read 6097 times)

Offline blacknight

• Just got here
Hi guys is it true that tinting your front windows voids your warrenty, ive been told it does just wanted to know if anyone knows, cheers
61 Plate VW GOLF MK6 1.6TDI 7SPD DSG MATCH. RCD510, FRONT AND REAR PARKING SENSORS,

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
Re: Is your warrenty void when you tint your front windows?
« Reply #1 on: 02 February 2012, 21:59 »
Might void your warrenty on the glass you tint, but thats about it.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline blacknight

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 02 February 2012, 22:14 »
What do you mean by warranty on the glass?
61 Plate VW GOLF MK6 1.6TDI 7SPD DSG MATCH. RCD510, FRONT AND REAR PARKING SENSORS,

Offline ScottA

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2012, 15:28 »
Aside from the fact it's illegal to tint your front windows ..... no your warranty would be fine.

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2012, 15:43 »
NO  :wink:

Offline Ben Lessani

• I live here
  • The poor mans MK2 Haynes author
« Reply #5 on: 03 February 2012, 16:20 »
Aside from the fact it's illegal to tint your front windows ..... no your warranty would be fine.

Since when? I thought the law was that for front windows, as long as 75% light can pass through, its okay (with the obvious exception of the windscreen).

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #6 on: 03 February 2012, 16:42 »

Since when? I thought the law was that for front windows, as long as 75% light can pass through, its okay (with the obvious exception of the windscreen).

That is correct but I think the factory tint is as dark as you can go.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 03 February 2012, 23:32 »
Well lets assume something were to go wrong with the glass. Like what's happening to the windscreens at the edge where the water is ingressing and so causing white'ish areas between the layers. Then they may try to blame the tinting process. Although I have to admit this would be a freakishly rare event. To nearly impossible. I think the others are right the level ok legal tint might be more of an issue.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 04 February 2012, 09:39 »
As the others have said, there should be no warranty issues, but anything more than the factory tint in the front side windows is illegal. Granted, others may have done theirs and passed MOT's, but it's the risk they take.

Personally, I think front tints look stupid.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 04 February 2012, 14:33 »
Dont do it it looks tacky and is dangerous,for instance you are driving down the road and there is a car waiting to pull out at a junction or round about, if you cannot see the driver in the car about to pull out it is very unnerving,how many times have you been driving along and can see that a car is about to pull out into your path and the driver has not looked your way ?this has happened to me on many occasions but luckly i have reacted because i could see that the driver had not looked in my direction.
Golfgti build quality is average at best.