Author Topic: Beenie - vr6 swap project  (Read 6801 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Beenie - vr6 swap project
« on: 25 February 2011, 16:46 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Beenie

• Not said much yet
Re: Beenie - vr6 swap project
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2011, 19:15 »
Right boys and girls this is my little golf project, first a bit of info on the car:

1996 Volkswagan Golf GTi 8v
Dragon Green
I got it back in may 2010 with 90k on the clock

It had a few silly problems with it when I got but all were sorted for not alot of money, anyway this is how it looked when I got it:

So I knew what I wanted to do with the car as soon as I got it, clean it!! it was filthy, on the way home from picking it up me and the missus stopped at a garage and got a couple of packs of anti-bac wipes and started wiping like no ones business, it was like it hadn't been cleaned in years! there was pet hair every where and it stank of fags. After we got it home I then washed it the tried cleaning the inside again this time removing bits of interior to clean behind with anti-bac spray, after a few days of cleaning it was pretty presentable but still to this day I'm trying to get the dog hairs out of the carpet!

Now it was clean I could get on with planning on what I wanted it to look like so I started hunting around on ebay for wheels and luckly struck gold with these:

which are bbs RG043's which came on the audi V8, they're 16x8's 5x112 and ET35 which meant I had to get adaptors, but luckly I found some locally and cheap but they 25mm and I wanted 20mm for the front so got two of them turned down on the lathe to give me a final offest off ET15 front and ET10 rear.........

Offline Beenie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2011, 19:16 »
So next was to refurb the alloys and thought gold would be a good contrast against the green so did a test alloy:

so while I was refurbing them I ordered up some hottuning coilovers and got the car decked:

and as you can see it wouldn't be long before it looked pretty special

so while I was refurbing the alloys I saved up for some 195/40 tyres and I also had a look into why my abs and airbag light didnt work and the abs didnt work

thats right the silly sod couldn't be arsed to replace the front abd sensors so just smashed the bulbs instead
« Last Edit: 25 February 2011, 19:23 by Beenie »

Offline Beenie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 25 February 2011, 19:23 »
So with the front abs sensors replaced and the fault codes deleted everything was looking good.
Then the day came whe I got my tyres and fitted them to my freshly refurb'd rims, So I got to fitting them asap but it try and make it look as good as possible I removed the arch trims, skirts and rear spoiler, the result........

it's also been lowered another 15mm since these pics were taken, but I think it looks the mutts nuts!

I also added a bit of camber on the rear and some CL rear lights with tinted tops and got rid of the rear wiper

3 weeks into having it lowered

:grin:
« Last Edit: 25 February 2011, 19:32 by Beenie »

Offline Beenie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 25 February 2011, 19:39 »
As of recent not much has happened in the land of the golf as christmas was bloody expensive as it always is

but I did get around to fitting some new lights in the dash clocks which look pretty swish

Also I picked a VR6 engine last weekend which I'm gagging to get started on, so I started on the gear box which was pretty grubby but as you'd imagine for 149k

So I got to work cleaning it and after 3 and 1/2 hours work you get

which came up pretty bloody well I think, hopefully sunday you should get an update on the engine!