Author Topic: Bargin Mk3 8v  (Read 14379 times)

Offline ju571n

• GTI forum regular
Re: Bargin Mk3 8v
« Reply #20 on: 16 December 2010, 14:49 »
Had half day at work today and just decieded to giove it a quick wash...  :smiley:

and it turned out like this..

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #21 on: 16 December 2010, 15:00 »
Shiney!   :cool: lucky, um very snowy here all of a sudden!

Offline ju571n

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 16 December 2010, 15:06 »
Yea i think it everywhere apart from here! Ive just spoke to a bloke and said its snowing heavy about 10 miles out of town but its bright blue skies here nw!!!!  :laugh:

Offline ju571n

• GTI forum regular
Re: Bargin Mk3 8v UPDATED WITH LOTS OF PICS
« Reply #23 on: 19 August 2013, 10:54 »
Right big update. Get a brew.

I may not do so much writing, I’ll see how annoying organising these pics are.

So it’s been nearly three years since I updated this and to be fair I have done quite a lot. It stayed as it was in the pictures above for a little while. I’ve done loads of things to this car and I have touched just about every part of it I’m just useless at taking loads of pics but heres what ive got.
Then I did a BMW 1 seriers rear wiper which was pretty cool. I then got some clear front indicators. Then I found a Vento front at the scrappy, £50 :smile:

I then got around to doing a bit more of the boot build. Then the indicator and fog blanks got tinted.

Then exciting things happened, my cousin was selling his wheels, so I snatched them off him and tried them on for size.

They needed some fettling, new tires, had to pull the arches quite a lot and played around with the camber. Then they sat like this for a while. Well happy with how it looked.

Then I eventually trimmed the boot up.

Then after a faily boring 6 months the engine sh*t itself just before xmas  2011. So instead of wasting any money fixing it, I bought a 80k lump from a Corrado. But whilst fitting it, I decided I wanted to clean it up a little bit, stripped it down and painted it and added a kent cam and had the flywheel lightened. Heres a few pics.

I also found this hole which wasn’t cool, as I have no welder and now power in my garage even if I did. 

I had to get the car to my new house as we moved, got it there and pulled my finger out to get it finished. Got it done and had the wheels refurbed. Stuck them back on and got it sitting a bit nicer.

More to come soon. I need a brew now. The next part is the interesting bit.

Offline ju571n

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 19 August 2013, 11:30 »
Heres the fun part.

Got bored with the car so before xmas 2012 I took the car off the road and pulled the perfectly serviceable engine out to my dads disregard. So I pulled the engine and took it to bits, I degreased cleaned and painted every part, whether or not youd be able to see it once refitted.

I bought a trick head off DH. Its and AKL head of a 1.6 A3. I bought it because my plan was to go bike carbs. This head being crossflow making my life loads easier. Specs: Mild port and polish inlet and fully gas flowed, hi flow valves with a triple angle cut, hd springs ti seat and retainers. This was a kit from America costing around $500. So this got painted too.

I bought an adjustable pully. Got a manifold made fitted my carbs which I won on ebay.

Right onto the bay, I stripped it completly and spent so many hours with a wire wheel in a grinder stripping sealer. We then towed it to a mates workshop where we set about welding and smoothing. Here’s pics of that lot.

After that we towed it back to mine and I set about the wiring and hiding everything etc etc. I’ll try t get the pics in chronological order and let them do the talking.

During the time it was at my mates it gave me time to paint my new subframe and wishbones. I painted all the chassis equipment upfront, if it was replaceable it got replaced: New subframe, wishbones, polybushes, steering rack, steering arms, rod ends, ball joints, roll bar links, roll bar bushes, top mounts, hub bearings, engine mounts.... yada yada yada. If it could be changed, it got changed. Well worth it may I add, its like a new car now.

With a lot of head scratching I got it all in and working. I’ll let the pics do the talking.

Offline swainy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 19 August 2013, 12:41 »
Looks awesome, on the passenger chassis leg how did you go about smoothing it all, on mine there are a couple of places where the metal drops down but dont just wanna fill it with filler.
Really wanna come have a look in person to get ideas on mine, youll have to text and let me know of any local meets that youre off to.

This is the area i mean

« Last Edit: 19 August 2013, 12:55 by swainy »

Offline notenoughtime

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 19 August 2013, 13:57 »
Looks like its been filled to me?
Lovely job you've done there

Offline ju571n

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 19 August 2013, 14:08 »
Looks awesome, on the passenger chassis leg how did you go about smoothing it all, on mine there are a couple of places where the metal drops down but dont just wanna fill it with filler.
Really wanna come have a look in person to get ideas on mine, youll have to text and let me know of any local meets that youre off to.

This is the area i mean

I think it was filled matey. We didn't have a clear image of how we wanted a good we started so just rolled with it. If I did it again I would run plate through to the back edge of that that low bit.

Don't know about any shows mate as I work away. I have get to them if I happenn to be home. Hoping to get to players in it. People are more then welcome to come ask there.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #28 on: 19 August 2013, 20:14 »
Respect to you for sticking with the 8v and doing something different, engine bay looks really good.

Offline Neo Badness

• I live here
  • Feet are for pedals
« Reply #29 on: 19 August 2013, 20:46 »
Epic build.

Well done for not fitting carbs to an 8v over exhaust manifold :cool:

You don't own a Mk2, you support it.