Author Topic: Jimmy Filth - 16v GTI  (Read 16006 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Jimmy Filth - 16v GTI
« on: 31 October 2010, 12:08 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Jimmy Filth

• I live here
Re: Jimmy Filth - 16v GTI
« Reply #1 on: 31 October 2010, 12:46 »
Thanks Jv,

So, After a string of bad luck with my two previous cars (a B5 V6 Passat had a cam belt go, writing the car off about 2 months after i bought it, then my replacement B5 1.8T was hit by a lorry within a few months of buying it) I decided to go for a golf GTi.  I needed a daily drive so wanted a more modern car, and the Mk3 was the obvious choice as in my opinion it's the best looking Golf of the modern shapes.  Of course it had to be a GTi.

After a few days of looking I stumbled across what seemed a rather tidy example with 12 months MOT and owned by an employee of VW.  It was up for a good price, so I went to see the car.  After a bit of haggling it was taxed and I bought it.  HEre's a couple of pics of how it was when I bought it.

I immediately went on eBay to see if there were any small things I could get for the car until I can spend some decent money on the car.  I bought a Vr6 splitter, clear front fogs/indicators and aero wipers.  Also got a Wolfsburg number plate surround and black badges for the front and back, plus all new sparkplugs, oil filter and general service items.

So, a mate came over and gave me a hand giving the car a service.  Apart from minor issue of oil in the spark plugs it is now running beautifully.

Incidentally who thought the oil filter in its current location was a good idea was a terrible human being.  It is the most horrible, annoying, position ever.

Took the rear spoiler off as you can see in the photo's it was looking rather tired.  Sprayed that stain black and used a bumper trim reviver on all the trim to bring that back to life (I say that, my girlfriend actually used the bumper reviver)  Gave the car a quick polish and fitted the bits that had arrived.

Still waiting on the black badges, indicators and the number plate surround.  I'll have some more money free up soon so will order a K&N panel filter and pressed number plates.  I'll then fit all those and drill out the airbox.  I plan to strip and clean the engine bay.  I'm tempted to spray the rocker cover body colour when I'm in the process of cleaning it all up.

I've also got my eye out for an American spec front bumper to lose the number plate recess and the rear bumper needs a re-spray.  Going to get a custom exhaust system too at some point, thinking a DTM style stainless steel system.

I'm also used to driving cars that have been dropped to the deck.  In some random twist of fate I had to visit the car graveyard where my last B5 is being kept for the insurance to sort out.  While there one of the lads that work there approached me and said he had some coilovers for a mk3 GTi, so gonna pick those up this week and attempt to fit them and drop the car.  I'll get more pics up when all of this is done.
7R 5 door.  Limestone Grey.  19" Pretoria's, Leather, DCC, Winter pack, keyless entry, rear camera.

Offline Jimmy Filth

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 31 October 2010, 12:52 »
Oh yeah, I also made the schoolboy error of going to Woburn in my own car.  Bloody monkey went and ripped the ariel off of the car.  I will be fitting a Sharan stubby ariel when I get round to it.
7R 5 door.  Limestone Grey.  19" Pretoria's, Leather, DCC, Winter pack, keyless entry, rear camera.

Offline Jimmy Filth

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 03 November 2010, 13:11 »
Picked up the coilovers today, I plan to fit them but need to get some spring tensioners first.... And a trolley jack... and some axle stands.

While doing that I will also strip the engine and paint the rocker cover and inlet manifold.

Offline Jimmy Filth

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 09 November 2010, 19:20 »
Fitted the coilovers today, but by the time I'd finished it had got dark and I couldn't get any pictures.  As it's a dry day tomorrow going to see how it looks and drives, then probably go a bit lower, then clean and polish the car.  I'll get some pics of it at the new ride height tomorrow.

Offline Jimmy Filth

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 10 November 2010, 16:48 »
Ok, so finally actually finished fitting the coilovers today (and by finished I mean finally put all the trim back on and took it for a quick test drive.  Since these photo's were taken I gave the car a damn good clean inside and out and polished the car up.

Here are the pictures I took of my progress...

First jacked it up...

First side off...

Second side off...

I then didn't take any more pics, so here's a before an after shot...

Before

After

Funny story though,  I'm undoing the rear drivers side shock from the bottom.  Due to the location of the nut i've kinda got my head under the arch so I can see what I'm doing as the nut is stiff, even after the thread should be entirely undone.  I managed to get the nut out and the hub shoots up and slams me square in the face.  Lesson learned.  Several lessons actually.  Feel free to laugh, I did.  :grin:

Cheers to all the guys that gave advice on the seized nuts and such.  I'm glad I finally got these on and think they look great. Next up I'm tackling the lights.

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #6 on: 10 November 2010, 21:55 »
I know that only the OP is supposed to post in these threads but are you getting your camber/tracking checked after fitting the coilies? As to me your camber looks massively out now  :undecided:

Offline Jimmy Filth

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 10 November 2010, 23:20 »
I am going to get the tracking sorted out, taking it in the morning (not even going to try that myself)

Although, I do love the off camber look, I can't afford the tyres... haha.

Offline Jimmy Filth

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 12 November 2010, 14:59 »
Ok, so I had a number of packages arrive for me today.  Happy times.

First off was the black badge for the front grill;

I got a better gear knob too.  The one that was in the car was really rather horrible.  It also had sharp edges.  Who thouht that was a good idea?
so, before;

after;

Second up was a new set of clear side repeaters...
before;

after;

Then some new clear front fogs/indicators...
before;

after;

Then some rear light tint from a company called Lamin-x.  This is just a practice run, I think I'm going to have to do it again, but properly sand down the lights.  It looks pretty good for a first try and I can definately recommend it.  I preferred the look over the fly eyes kits.

Here are the before and after shots...

I'm really chuffed with how the car is coming along and it's pretty much exactly how I want it bar a few things.  Still got my eyes out for a US spec front bumper and DTM exhaust system.

Thinking about vinyl wrapping the roof in black too.

Offline Jimmy Filth

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 14 November 2010, 20:31 »
Got the car on VAGCOM the other night too, first ran through the engine with no problems at all, then checked everything on the car and only one problem.  Apparently there is an intermittent fault on the airbag sensor which means there is sometimes low power going to it.

A bit of a result really.  I bloody love that car.