Author Topic: billabong - 8v GTI Project  (Read 5898 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
billabong - 8v GTI Project
« on: 14 September 2010, 21:53 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

billabong

Re: billabong - 8v GTI Project
« Reply #1 on: 14 September 2010, 23:29 »
Thanks John.

Hi all, my name is Will, this is my 2L 8v GTI.
 A bit of history: I got the car at the end of June 2010 after I blew the gearbox up in my 1.4 match driving around the Nurburgring (It didnt blow til Belgium!). I have to say - I much prefer it to the 1.4 :P

Its got approx 123k on the clock, bodywork is in good condition, just a few things I need to get sorted:
PAS screeches on full lock (left + right) - suggestions?
Reverse gear is missing "a few" (more like MOST) teeth and grinds and clunks when reversing - new gearbox?

Apart from that it seems sound, didnt pay too much for it so cant complain.

Since Ive had it I have done the following:
Coilovers
Leather Interior (From a VR6 Highline)
Lower Glovebox (I find the tray useless)
Stainless back box
Ram-Air filter
Full-service (just the rear brakes left to do)
Decent-ish headunit
Fixed sunroof motor (didnt work when I got it)

Here are a few pictures - I am still uploading them so will add more later.

I have recently bought some BBS RX2s, just in the process of refurbing.
I'm doing the lips  by hand, starting with 240 grit wet/dry sandpaper and going up in stages to 1000. Then polishing with Autosol. Any tips are welcome!
So far i've done one lip, doesn't look too bad, just needs a few areas going over again:

I think i'm going to get the centres done in a slightly darker silver than standard…
Just spent the evening with a tap, cleaning out the threads for the bolts.

I'll keep you posted on the progress with the wheels.

Currently planning my next move!!
« Last Edit: 14 September 2010, 23:31 by billabong »

Offline Chew22

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2010, 10:14 »
PAS screeches on full lock (left + right) - suggestions?
Reverse gear is missing "a few" (more like MOST) teeth and grinds and clunks when reversing - new gearbox?

Screechy power steering is probably a worn out PAS belt. You will probably start noticing loss of PAS on very wet days which isn't fun.

I brought a new belt for mine for £10 and its all good now. Might as well change the fan belt while your at it.

Sounds like a replacement gearbox is needed. I was lucky as mine was replaced 3 months before I brought it.

billabong

« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2010, 21:27 »

Screechy power steering is probably a worn out PAS belt. You will probably start noticing loss of PAS on very wet days which isn't fun.

I brought a new belt for mine for £10 and its all good now. Might as well change the fan belt while your at it.

Sounds like a replacement gearbox is needed. I was lucky as mine was replaced 3 months before I brought it.

Cheers, I have noticed that every now and again the steering goes very heavy if turning right quickly?
Might aswell change the belt - Easy job? DIY job?

I will keep my eye out for a gearbox...