Author Topic: Dom069 - My 8v Story So Far - Deposit Taken :(  (Read 182246 times)

Offline Jack3559

• I live here
Re: Dom069 - My 8v Story So Far - The one with the cambelt change
« Reply #690 on: 11 April 2011, 15:34 »
Good plan, not many cars running on solitudes any more...

Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #691 on: 13 April 2011, 20:43 »
Ok, so made a start on the wheels this evening!

Here's what they looked like before:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I attacked one of them with a little bit of paint stripper:

The started to sand down the lip with 60 grit paper, after a couple of hours I have this:

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #692 on: 13 April 2011, 21:31 »
Bloody hell, is 60 grit not a bit too course??  :shocked: Look ok in the pictures but depending on how bad they were before, have you not just given yourself a lot of extra work to get them smooth?  :undecided:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #693 on: 13 April 2011, 22:02 »
Bloody hell, is 60 grit not a bit too course??  :shocked: Look ok in the pictures but depending on how bad they were before, have you not just given yourself a lot of extra work to get them smooth?  :undecided:

Not as coarse as you'd think actually! I started with 120 but it wasn't really touching it, so dropped to 80 then 60! Not leaving any real scratches :grin:

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #694 on: 13 April 2011, 22:35 »
Did you use Nitromors on them first?

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #695 on: 13 April 2011, 23:14 »
Did you use Nitromors on them first?

Yup :wink:

I'll get up some better pics taken with a decent camera tomorrow, but there is hardly any scratching at all :shocked:

Also going to pick up some more sandpaper and some wire wool and autosol, hopefully i'll get the lip of this wheel polished up nicely tomorrow, key in the centre and get a coat of etch primer on it tomorrow :smiley:

Offline kirk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #696 on: 14 April 2011, 11:56 »
wheels looking good Dom, they're gonna look sweeet on your car!! :cool:

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #697 on: 14 April 2011, 13:22 »
Pulled out of a junction 'enthusiastically' this morning with a small amount of wheel spin, about half a mile down the road noticed that my ABS warning light it on :angry:

Just scanned it with VAGCOM and it's the front n/s sensor. Going to go and wiggle the sensor around a little to make sure it's not loose, if that doesn't solve it then it's going to be a nice little job for me tomorrow :rolleyes:

wheels looking good Dom, they're gonna look sweeet on your car!! :cool:

Cheers, I hope so :afro:

Offline VR6_Wherry

• Forum addict
« Reply #698 on: 14 April 2011, 13:43 »
Good work on the wheels, i tried the old sanding by hand..gave up and got them shot blasted!  :grin: :grin:

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #699 on: 14 April 2011, 19:11 »
Good work on the wheels, i tried the old sanding by hand..gave up and got them shot blasted!  :grin: :grin:

:grin: My fingers are red raw and my arm feels like it's about to drop off!

Didn't get to spend as much time of the wheels as I would have liked to today due to other problems (more about that in a little). But I managed to get the whole wheel sanded down with 60 and then 80grit paper. The lip has now been done with 120grit, the plan is to sand the rest of the wheel with 120 as well, then give it a coat of etch primer and see what it looks like.

A little pic of how it looks now (note how the lip is beginning to look shiny!)

As some may have seen in the MK3 section I had an issue with my ABS light today :cry:

The warning light popped on this morning, so I swung by at my local mechanics for him to scan with Vag Com. As suspected it pointed to an ABS sensor (the front n/s). Rather than ring VW straight away and order a new one I decided to whip the wheel off and take a look to make sure it wasn't anything obvious. I'm glad that I did.....

The wire had been trapped between the CV boot and bottom of the strut and had completely worn away! As you can see by the pics not a lot was holding it together. I decided to cut the wire and strip them back in preparation to join them, I then connected them together with connector blocks temporarily to make sure that it would actually work and there were no further problems:

Plugged the sensor back in and the warning light was still on. After seeking advice on here I put the wheel back on and took the car for a short drive, I hit about 15mph and the warning light went off. Took the car back home, soldered the wires back together and wrapped in insulation tape until I get get some proper heat shrink tape around it - job done :cool: