Author Topic: Help- Buying Advise Needed  (Read 2028 times)

Offline NewbieGTi

• Not said much yet
Help- Buying Advise Needed
« on: 29 March 2009, 23:38 »
Hey people, I need some advise on a MK5 GTI I have seen for sale. I have done an AA check on the car which seems to come back OK although the cars last owner has had it for 1 year and then the one before that was only 5 months. Is that a bad thing?

The car looks and drives OK but its service history is limited. The owners handbook is missing along with the service book. There is also only one key fob for the car with no other spares.

Does anyone know what it would cost to get all of the replacement keys incl a recode and a new owners handbook inc service book? Also is it posssible to obtain the radio code as that is missing also?

Thanks in advance
MK5 (06) GTI; Previous: (57) Audi A3 2.0 TDI & (05) Seat Leon Cupra R 225 & (51) Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8 20VT

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
Re: Help- Buying Advise Needed
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2009, 23:42 »
I think that would cost a small fortune. To be honest there are plenty around so I would leave it, just seems too much is missing to hand over lots of cash.

What year and spec is it?

Offline celica

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2009, 23:45 »
worth ringing up VW with the reg number to check on previous services (if any at VW) etc.

Offline NewbieGTi

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2009, 23:46 »
I think that would cost a small fortune. To be honest there are plenty around so I would leave it, just seems too much is missing to hand over lots of cash.

What year and spec is it?

That's what I am trying to work out I guess.

2005, 30,000 miles, 18" monza's, leather, 6cd with armrest
MK5 (06) GTI; Previous: (57) Audi A3 2.0 TDI & (05) Seat Leon Cupra R 225 & (51) Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8 20VT

Offline bacillus

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 29 March 2009, 23:55 »
The owners handbook is missing along with the service book.

That sounds a bit suspicious as the present owner may be trying to hide that it's an import and/or poor service record. As for the rest of the handbook, maybe it's on ebay...  :undecided:
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline NewbieGTi

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 29 March 2009, 23:59 »

That sounds a bit suspicious as the present owner may be trying to hide that it's an import and/or poor service record. As for the rest of the handbook, maybe it's on ebay...  :undecided:

Don't think its an import, has a spacesaver tyre which I was told is an indication its UK :undecided:

Can VW tell me if its an import if I have the VIN number?

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2009, 09:20 »
If your not sure walk away and find another.

Offline ifti

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2009, 09:33 »

Don't think its an import, has a spacesaver tyre which I was told is an indication its UK :undecided:

Can VW tell me if its an import if I have the VIN number?

You should be able to ask in a dealership if you have the registration number of the car.

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 30 March 2009, 10:12 »
Avoid it. If the history can't be verified and there's a load of legwork to do for you to sort bits out and so on, forget it and find another one with a full history and so on.

BTW, I had my car from new it is a parallel import (they're all imports afterall) and it has a spacesaver...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline Egbutt Wash

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 30 March 2009, 10:20 »

BTW, I had my car from new it is a parallel import (they're all imports afterall) and it has a spacesaver...

Me too.
And my car was not used as a demonstrator  :wink:
Currently digging a bunker.