Author Topic: speedo accuracy  (Read 6473 times)

Offline laney

• Not said much yet
Re: speedo accuracy
« Reply #10 on: 28 February 2007, 11:32 »
I have a TomTom Go and a Road Angel, and if I use them together at say 80 mph they both read the same, but the car reads 73 MPH, I read on an American forum that VW issued a service bulletin for this problem, however my dealer knew nothing of it.

So are you saying that the speedo reads 73 when you are actually doing 80 - surely this is the wrong way round?  :shocked:
Laney, your right, I got it the wrong way round, speed reads 80 and Sat Nav- Road Angel 73 mph  :rolleyes:

I was getting concerned that I wouldn't be able to open my front door when I get home tonight because of the mountain of speeding notices on my door mat  :grin:

At least it builds a bit of safety net in I suppose - a poor show from VW though IMO  :angry:
2006 56 GTI, 3dr, Diamond Black, 18" Monza IIs, Leather, Armrest
2003 53 Toyota MR2, Lagoon Blue

Offline Cass

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 28 February 2007, 11:49 »
Now: VW Touareg Altitude V6 TDI 3.0 240 bhp, Diamond Pearlescent Black
Previous: MY2007 GTI, 3 door, manual, pearlescent black and lots of toys - gone to a good home : )

Offline Pando

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 28 February 2007, 14:34 »

At least it builds a bit of safety net in I suppose - a poor show from VW though IMO  :angry:
[/quote]

:huh: Do VW actually make the speedoes, i doubt it.
Not exactly a major life affecting issue your speedo being a few mph out, as long as it is on the low side :smiley:

Offline laney

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 01 March 2007, 17:10 »
There's also a trick to show your speed on the climate temp display (I suspect people already know this).

I tried this on my way home from work last night - 70 on the speedo equated to 63 on the temp display  :angry:

Does anyone know if the temp display is likely to be more accurate?  Whats the difference between how the speeds are measured?
2006 56 GTI, 3dr, Diamond Black, 18" Monza IIs, Leather, Armrest
2003 53 Toyota MR2, Lagoon Blue

Offline illyun

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 01 March 2007, 18:04 »

I tried this on my way home from work last night - 70 on the speedo equated to 63 on the temp display  :angry:

That sounds about right  :grin:
Mk1 GTI Campaign, Mk5 GTI Edition 30, Mk6 GTI (Coming Soon...)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #15 on: 01 March 2007, 18:50 »
Does anyone know if the temp display is likely to be more accurate?  Whats the difference between how the speeds are measured?

My educated guess would hedge towards the climate display being more accurate, simply because the speedo is an electro/mechanical component.

They both get their speed "info" from the same source, namely the ABS wheel speed sensors.  The signal is then "converted" into an mph/kmh figure for display on the climate and speedo by one of the cars ECUs.  That is why the raw data can be adapted on the VAG-COM, or at the dealer.

EDIT corrected my numpty error: By law, speedos can never under-read, but can over-read by up to 10%, so a genuine 70mph could be displayed on the speedo anywhere between 70-77mph.

My S4 seems to be very accurate, at an indcated 80, using cruise on arrow straight roads, GPS displays 79!  :smug:
« Last Edit: 02 March 2007, 13:19 by Teutonic_Tamer »
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline acwats

• GTI forum regular
  • Boys need Toys
« Reply #16 on: 01 March 2007, 21:47 »

My educated guess would hedge towards the climate display being more accurate, simply because the speedo is an electro/mechanical component.

They both get their speed "info" from the same source, namely the ABS wheel speed sensors.  The signal is then "converted" into an mph/kmh figure for display on the climate and speedo by one of the cars ECUs.  That is why the raw data can be adapted on the VAG-COM, or at the dealer.

By law, speedos can never under-read, but can over-read by up to 10%, so a genuine 70mph could be displayed on the speedo anywhere between 63-70mph.

My S4 seems to be very accurate, at an indcated 80, using cruise on arrow straight roads, GPS displays 79!  :smug:

Sean, example given is the wrong way round - a genuine 70 must be shown on the speedo as 70+ (up to 77). This means when the speedo is showing 70 you are doing less. As you said the speedo cannot under read. e.g. actual 65 speedo 70
Mid Life crisis history:2000 Yamaha Fazer 600
2002 Westfield 1800 (built it too!)
1987 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Targa SE
MkV GTI DSG

Phil mcavity

« Reply #17 on: 01 March 2007, 21:51 »
i thought with sat navs, they are not the most accurate due to satellite delay, as in all things to do with satellite due to time taken to send signal from 35000 kilometres away!

Offline illyun

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 01 March 2007, 22:00 »
i thought with sat navs, they are not the most accurate due to satellite delay, as in all things to do with satellite due to time taken to send signal from 35000 kilometres away!

Phil, the signal travels at the speed of light and therefore takes about a tenth of a second to go 35k km...Also the delay is constant so you are simply looking at the speed as it was measured a split-second ago...  The kind of errors people are seeing with their Mk5 speedo's are far too large to be due to satellite delay.
Mk1 GTI Campaign, Mk5 GTI Edition 30, Mk6 GTI (Coming Soon...)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #19 on: 02 March 2007, 13:16 »

By law, speedos can never under-read, but can over-read by up to 10%, so a genuine 70mph could be displayed on the speedo anywhere between 63-70mph.

Sean, example given is the wrong way round - a genuine 70 must be shown on the speedo as 70+ (up to 77). This means when the speedo is showing 70 you are doing less. As you said the speedo cannot under read. e.g. actual 65 speedo 70

Whoops, senior moment - Doh  :rolleyes:.  You're exactly right.  :smiley:
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo