Author Topic: MK5 - Beginners guide to buying my First Golf GTI  (Read 6176 times)

Offline zaklfc9

• Just got here
MK5 - Beginners guide to buying my First Golf GTI
« on: 24 September 2013, 16:28 »
Can I make a Golf MK5 look exactly like a MK5 GTI?

Basically could I make this:     

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/volkswagen-golf-20-gt-tdi-3dr-diesel-hatchback-2004/1033094689

Look like this:       

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/mk5-golf-gti-dsg-fully-loaded/1033070681

Like a £1500 difference, currently I dont care about performance, just entirely going by looks. Would this be worth the time and effort?

Advice would be most welcome as im a total novice when it comes to cars. Looking to buy an MK5 in the next few weeks.

Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: 24 September 2013, 16:49 by zaklfc9 »

Offline Poached

• I live here
Re: MK5 - Beginners guide to buying my First Golf GTI
« Reply #1 on: 24 September 2013, 17:01 »
Why not buy the real thing...a replica is always a wannabe.

At £1500 difference you might as well buy the GTI! A replica could cost the price difference anyway.

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 24 September 2013, 20:08 »
If you want to build a replica, you have to consider the time it'll take to source parts. Also, are you going for genuine parts or cheap copies? Genuine parts will fit better but by the time you pay the difference, getting it sprayed and colour coded, spend the time fitting it and then insuring it... Just get a GTI.

Alternatively, do something different and take bits of things you like and blend it on your car. For example, I have a GTI, but I'm fitting R32 rear bumper and side skirts, Edition 30 front spoiler, different alloys... You get the idea.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline zaklfc9

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2013, 15:18 »
Lads cheers for the replies, I think I needed a little prod to just go out and buy 1!!

Having thought about it I agree that the 1500-2000 difference is not much and I'll be going for the real thing.

Would anyone know how much getting a GTI wrapped would cost?

Offline zaklfc9

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 25 September 2013, 15:55 »
Does anyone know of any commonly known problems / faults the MK5 may have?

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 25 September 2013, 20:56 »
In terms of getting it wrapped, no idea.

2 common known faults that I know of;

- Diverter valve was a know weak spot, worth replacing with the upgraded unit, available from main dealer (part number 06F 145 710G) or check out Awesome GTI below
http://www.awesomegti.com/car/vw/golfmk5/oem-2-0t-diaphragm-diverter-valve-06f-145-710g

- Coil packs were re-called by Volkswagen I believe, so if you take your car into a main dealer they will replace free of charge so I'm led to believe.

Also worth mentioning, when you buy a car, check for obvious signs of abuse. If you're not sure how to test suspension, brakes, clutch, gears and engine then let me know. I'm no expert but I've seen enough cars to know a good one. So far my GTI hasn't let me down. Nor did my 1991 GTI (threw a hissy fit from time to time though). :-)

Personally in your shoes, I'd buy a car that's due service work as it'll be cheaper then you can spend the money slowly over a few months doing it up. I should of replaced the parts like brakes with the upgrade rather than stock parts but live and learn!

And finally, DON'T RUSH! There's loads of Mk5 GTI's for sale in the UK so a good one is not hard to find, so don't settle on the first one you see. Try them out, get a feel for good and bad examples.

I wish you luck in your quest for finding a GTI and joining the force.

Offline vwfiend

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 25 September 2013, 22:01 »
Three questions........

1) why would you want to make a 'replica' GTI.......? Nothing more embarrassing than all 'show' no go....... (Show in inverted commas due to the real thing not being very showy)

2) what would possess you to buy a 2nd hand car and wrap it. I believe it's over the 1k mark for a cheap job, if I was purchasing from you in the future and car was wrapped I would demand it was stripped off as I would think it was wrapped to hide something.

3) if you are setting a budget, perhaps a mk5 gti isn't for you. They CAN (although not always) have killer repair bills like any 'performance' car. For instance, my DSG mechatronics unit was just under 2k fitted. Nothing else was done except a new unit and fresh fluid. Not exactly cheap motoring. As it was a 10k motor at the time, it was worth doing. Had it been a 5ker like many higher mileage/2005 models are, it would have been binned off.........

I would definitely read some buying guides on here, decent reviews on Pistonheads etc as buying a car on looks alone is ridiculous........ 

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 26 September 2013, 13:36 »
I would have to agree, my GTI cost me nearly £2000 in total for all the service and other bits I've had done to it. It's worth it, for a GTI is just awesome, but do be aware that if you're on a budget they can sting you.

What about going for a Mk4 1.8T (170BHP) instead?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #8 on: 26 September 2013, 18:51 »
I would have to agree, my GTI cost me nearly £2000 in total for all the service and other bits I've had done to it. It's worth it, for a GTI is just awesome, but do be aware that if you're on a budget they can sting you.

What about going for a Mk4 1.8T (170BHP) instead?

Sorry but i did chuckle at your suggestion  :grin:

If you want a good handling, quick car out of the box the MK5 is light years ahead of the MK4 and its what I would be buying  :smiley:

Replace items like the DV, coilpacks and PCV valve, stick some fresh oil in it, filters, plugs etc and enjoy

Then remap it  :evil:

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 26 September 2013, 20:37 »
I'm aware of the Mk4 many... many... many shortfalls, but I wrote that after reading an article in PVW on a Mk4 that looked beautiful. Now sat here with a cup of tea I realise that I may of been wrong. I apologise.