Author Topic: Rear boot badge  (Read 2602 times)

Offline _Adam_

• I live here
Rear boot badge
« on: 04 July 2011, 09:33 »
Hi :smiley:

As most people know, the badge on a VW is prone to white worming, the same as monza's and centre caps. after a certain point (unsure of date) they changed to a 3D style badge, which most of you will have, which does not get affected by worms.

My golf, however, is a 53 plate so one of the first Mk5's produced, and so my badge is HORRIBLE :sick:
I decided to do something about it. Here are my results;

here's my before picture:

I then stripped it back to almost bare metal and resprayed it. the trouble is that it was pretty much flat, and so had to outline the VW logo myself. I didnt like how it came out as some edges aren't straight and you can just tell that it was a DIY job :undecided:

SO.

I bought a new one. i got the 3D style thinking it will be a straight swap, but no. the back of the 3D style is flat and the back of the lacquer style is rounded so - no fit. after alot of chopping and sanding, i took the VW part of the new badge, and ditched the rest.
I then spent alot of time getting a nice coat of paint on the actual boot mechanism, and stuck the emblem directly onto that, with a little bit of red outlining behind it.

it's not perfect yet, but ill try to touch it up. what do you guys think? (pic is taken after a week of fitting, and car and badge both need a clean)

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Rear boot badge
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2011, 09:35 »
Looks tidy that  :cool:

Offline _Adam_

• I live here
Re: Rear boot badge
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2011, 10:13 »
Cheers Rhyso  :smiley:

Offline Jimp