Author Topic: SOMEONE HAS TO HELP ME  (Read 4007 times)

Offline _Adam_

• I live here
SOMEONE HAS TO HELP ME
« on: 16 May 2011, 17:36 »
just picked my car back up from the garage for it's MOT re-test. all they had to check was the wingmirror indicator (this was a big job if you look at my last thread about central locking)

i got in the car and all the dash lights were on, but really dim and flickering as if there was barely any connection. turned the ignition and the handbrake light is flashing, traction control and abs lights are fixed on.

i got the guys to look at it as it wasnt like that when i left the car with them, and they found that the brake fluid sensor is broken - the top half has un-glued itself. he said they didnt even move the car, just checked the indicator and locked it back up.

now i assume all i need is the new sensor, but when i got home, i couldnt turn the engine off, i took the key out and it stayed ticking over for about 10 seconds before it cut out. then the ignition stayed on again so ive had to disconnect the battery.

does anyone have any ideas / suggestions?

Offline _Adam_

• I live here
Re: SOMEONE HAS TO HELP ME
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2011, 09:51 »
connected the battery back up this morning and most of the issues have gone, but now the car keeps cutting out when driving, and actually wouldnt start after the final cut out. had to leave the car in a sidestreet and find other means to work.

could this be a cause of the door lock module being replaced, as it interlinks with the immobiliser?

Offline jeynesey

• I live here
  • Non VW but still VAG
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2011, 15:58 »
connected the battery back up this morning and most of the issues have gone, but now the car keeps cutting out when driving, and actually wouldnt start after the final cut out. had to leave the car in a sidestreet and find other means to work.

could this be a cause of the door lock module being replaced, as it interlinks with the immobiliser?

It sounds like it could be. Did you have it scanned for fault codes?
The day you see me in a diesel is the day there is no more petrol left :D

Need a web designer??  http://www.twostepmedia.co.uk/

Offline adi

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2011, 22:17 »
I would get it scanned for fault's sound's like it might be the ignition switch.

Offline _Adam_

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2011, 09:11 »
When the garage took it back inside to check, they did have a diagnostics machine on there but i don't know the results.
i thought it could be the ignition switch too but it could be a number of things really! i've ordered the sensor and once that is fitted i'll see what the car does after a long battery reset.

Offline _Adam_

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2011, 09:56 »
i replaced the brake fluid sensor which got rid of all lights on dash. drove about 4 miles and it cut out again.
i had the glowplug light (like a sideways spring) for a couple seconds whilst the engine was trying to keep running, but when it cut out i had the traction control light on.

does anyone live near cardiff / bridgend who could possibly run vag-com when it happens?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2011, 11:53 »
Hi Adam

just replied to your PM mate  :smiley:

Offline _Adam_

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2011, 18:56 »
ok, as i explained to Rhyso, there was water ontop of the fusebox (under cover) when i checked out why it was originally making a sparking noise.

i just took out the fusebox to see if there was any residue etc underneath it, and here's what i found;

the liquid is blue-ish..... does it look odd to anyone?

just to note, my dad used to be a mechanic, and he sprayed the top of the fusebox with WD40 'to dry it out' but that was days ago.

thoughts?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2011, 19:59 »
Have you cleaned up the contacts on the bottom of the fuses??

No idea what the liquid could be  :undecided:

Offline adi

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2011, 20:10 »
Water damage and corrosion on the contact's causes this due to the wire/contact's are copper.