Author Topic: Trading in my GTI... for an R32 DSG  (Read 5164 times)

Offline zerolight

• Not said much yet
Re: Trading in my GTI... for an R32
« Reply #10 on: 04 August 2010, 12:57 »
I been thinking about doing this for a few months now but I cant justify the cost to swap, extra insurance cost and extra petrol. I know the R32 looks fantastic and has xenon's and 4wd and yes the noise but is it really worth it??????

I'll tell you on Friday. This car looks brand new. My wife really wants an automatic, so an R32 with DSG is a great compromise. I have to change in 6 months anyway as I'm on PCP.

Offline zerolight

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 04 August 2010, 13:04 »
re: lumbar, if its the same as GTI, lumbar adjustment is on the drivers seat itself, on the bottom by the other adjustments.

My GTI is cloth, so it has a wheel for the lumbar above the wheel for recline. Never noticed the switches for heated on lumbar on the R32, but I presume they must be there. Will go hunting on Friday.

Dealer called to tell me the settlement on my car is 1k less than expected - bonus. Never driven a DSG before other than my brief test drive, can't wait.

Offline starsky

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 04 August 2010, 13:09 »
If you
I been thinking about doing this for a few months now but I cant justify the cost to swap, extra insurance cost and extra petrol. I know the R32 looks fantastic and has xenon's and 4wd and yes the noise but is it really worth it??????

I'll tell you on Friday. This car looks brand new. My wife really wants an automatic, so an R32 with DSG is a great compromise. I have to change in 6 months anyway as I'm on PCP.

I hope it is worth it, I really fancy a grey, 5 door (for the family), DSG, sunroof and full leather. Im in no rush to change as Im still enjoying the gti after 2 and a half years ownership. Like you say though, the thought of an R32 is always niggling away in the back of you head. Bl00dy cars!!!!

2006 Golf GTI Mk5, 1997 Golf GTI Mk3 Anniversary - Both gone, but not forgotten...Just arrived Golf GTI 16v Mk3!!!!!

Offline clint4one

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 04 August 2010, 13:18 »
I got a 2009 black dsg 3dr with leather, sat nav, ipod conn, mfsw, park sensors, had 37k on the clock for £19000 got a service pack included also.

that was 4 months ago tho and prices seem to have come down a bit since then, when i was looking there wasnt much about atall, i wanted at the earlyest an 08 plate with my spec and they were all £20k+ so when mine came up at my local vw i decided to plump for it.

Its a front loading 6cd changer so you just feed 6cds in the front, lumbar support is down the side of the seat by the height adjust leaver, the seats heat adjustment is on the dash by the climate control.

I decided i wanted a change and after enjoying my gti dsg so much the only option was a r32 as i wanted to retain the dsg box.

First thing(and best) i noticed was the 4wd, you can plant your foot from the lights in the wet & dry with no wheel spin.

You can feel the weight of the car tho compared to the gti, the gti feels so much lighter and more nimble.

The r32 comes with alot of extras as standard too and i managed to get one with nearly every extra which is cool as my gti wasnt specked nearly as good.

MPG is pritty similar really i got 26 avg outa the gti and i get around 24.5 outa the r32, just had to pay the £425 road tax tho last week :angry:

Oh yeh the grawl of the v6 is imense too :laugh:

What are they giving you for the gti? the r32 is a great price.

« Last Edit: 04 August 2010, 14:33 by clint4one »
2009 MKV R32

Offline zerolight

• Not said much yet
Re: Trading in my GTI... for an R32 DSG
« Reply #14 on: 04 August 2010, 14:26 »
I thought I got a decent price for mine. All 4 monzas are scuffed to death, there's a ding in the rear door from a clumsy woman in a carpark opening her door, and one of the fogs has a broken glass. It's standard aside from the ipod prep kit. 15k on the clock.

The only extra I'd have liked over and above whats coming in my R32 is the ipod prep - and I'd want the dealer fit glove box kit anyway as my iphone doesn't fit into the armrest one I have in my GTI. So I can get that whenever I want it for £150. Or live without it, I have done on my GTI - just fill the changer with MP3 loaded CDs.

Specwise I'm very happy - it's blue, which I wanted, the rear tints are nice, low mileage, leather, DSG!!!, and it looks like it's been caressed and polished daily, it's so clean. Monthly payments are almost £30 less than my GTI, insurance is up £6 a month. I really can't complain.

Apparently the previous owner was a young guy, lives along the road from me apparently, who struggled with the monthly payments and traded it in for a GTD.

Service pack is always a good idea. I went for the two year plan too.
« Last Edit: 04 August 2010, 15:48 by zerolight »

Offline Jimp

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 04 August 2010, 16:17 »
I'd get one for the noise alone  :grin: It was infectious when I drove one  :drool:
Not low enough mk5
Not on the road enough mk3

Offline zerolight

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 04 August 2010, 16:42 »
mfsw

I've been wracking my brains - mfsw - what the heck. Then it dawned on me, Multi Function Steering Wheel. Doh. Yeah, mine has that too - assumed it was standard. Cripes, the options keep on mounting up. :D

Offline celica

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 04 August 2010, 21:23 »
the noise is awesome ;-)

Offline zerolight

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 06 August 2010, 17:09 »
Hi guys. Picked it up about an hour ago. Sadly the run home is 2 mins, and in heavy traffic. The wife is going out tonight, in the R32, and leaving me with the kids, so I had to get back home sharpish. Tomorrow the fun begins.

The previous owner kept the mats. So I have the old ones from my GTI in there - were the mats R32 branded or just plain ole black?

The stereo is just a regular single disc affair - just like my GTI. I thought the R32 came with a 6 disc changer as standard, but am told that no, this was a £320 option. Is this correct?

In the boot, there's plenty of empty spaces in the polystyrene block around the tyre - the wheel is there, jack, lock nut, etc. Should this be full of stuff, or is it just spaces for optionals?

One quick, out the bedroom window, shot.

Offline clint4one

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 06 August 2010, 18:49 »
The mats in the r32 are just plain black, but you can buy some with the R logo on.

Im not sure if the 6cd changer is standard or not, i upgraded to a sat nav and my 6cd changer is on ebay atm for £179.

I dont think theres ment to be anything in the spaces in the boot, aslong as you have the things u need, jack,locking wheel nut ect.

What do u mean by lurching foward?

2009 MKV R32