Author Topic: headlights faded...  (Read 2145 times)

Offline _Adam_

• I live here
headlights faded...
« on: 01 July 2009, 16:04 »
is there a way of clearing up the cover on a headlight? one has gone a bit misty compared to the other
also is there a way of making the black inners of the headlight even blacker? mine have gone a big grey  :undecided:

Offline jaydubveedub

• I live here
Re: headlights faded...
« Reply #1 on: 01 July 2009, 16:05 »
If it's misty/dull on the outside then there is a Meguiars do a product called Plastx which could be worth a go.
2003 Passat 1.9 Sport TDI Wagon | Inky Blue | Lots of Wax

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 02 July 2009, 00:21 »
sounds like you've got moisture into your headlights.  :lipsrsealed:

Offline _Adam_

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 02 July 2009, 11:38 »
i don't think it's mist. check out the photo below, it's just the driver's side that needs clearing up but i want both to be more black than grey...
how much is Plastx? where could i pick some up?

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 02 July 2009, 11:45 »
Looking at that pic, I'm 90% sure it's moisture seeped into the unit.

Google "Headlight moisture" (without quotes) and hit the images button.

Offline _Adam_

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 02 July 2009, 16:55 »
jus did that, and found this....

Ok, I know some of you people out there have moisture, water, or condensation in your headlamps, headlights, lights, etc. that's trapped in there, and is probably a pain in the ass to get rid of. While many ways have been discussed here (removal of headlamps and baken them for a few minutes, hairdryer, etc.), I came up with a solution awhile back that I thought I posted, but apparently not as I got the inquiry again. It's very simple and doesn't require you to remove your bumper nor headlight housing.

What you'll need to do is go to a store that sells asian food. Either an asian grocery store, or one of those "globally diversified" grocery stores like Whole Foods or Wegmans.

Essentially what you need is to buy something that's about $2-3, and that you can eat. A lot of asian snacks and food require to be dry or moisture free since they'll either spoil fast if moist, or simply get sticky. These include rice crackers, dried squid/fish, dried seaweed (the type you make sushi rolls with), etc. Take THIS (http://www.asianmunchies.com/cgi-bin/mivavm?Merchant2/merchant.mvc+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=A&Product_Code=GT055&Category_Code=DF) as an example.

Inside these bags is a tiny little bag that looks like this:
http://www.powerdry.co.th/images/PD-open_06.gif
That says "do not eat - desiccant"

That's correct, this little bag is a desiccant chemical that removes moisture from the bag. You probably have a few of these laying around the house as they come in electronic devices (like DVD players), and other things. But I figure that if you don't have one laying around, spending $2-3 on munchies will get you them, and plus you got something to snack on.

Ok, now take the desiccant bag an in the 2 corners of the bag (on the same edge) make 2 small holes. Be careful not to make this too big or you'll have desiccant mess in your headlamps. Take either dental floss or fishing line (fishing line preferred) and knot the ends of the line to the corners so it's like a bag strap. Give it about a 10 inch slack. The reason for fishing line or dental floss is that it won't snap if you pull hard, like string or thread would. If you're a bit paranoid, maybe even tape these holes to ensure that desiccant doesn't spill out. Now remove the rubber cover for the headlight bulb, then remove the bulb (remember not to get your fingers on the bulb, use cotton gloves if necessary). Feed the bag through the head lamp hole and let the fishing line hang out. Close the rubber cover over it, so that the line is being held by the cover. A good weekend will clear up most of that moisture.

To remove it manipulate both strings so that the edge can pull through, then use needle nose piers to grab the edge and pull it out. This is why we made 2 holes instead of 1 on the bag. It makes it a lot easier to grab an edge.

Simple, easy, and doesn't really take up much time. Plus you can throw the bag in your glovebox to use it later if it happens again...

think that will work? its like the silicca gel in shoe boxes or something....