Author Topic: Thoughts on DSG R  (Read 8851 times)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: Thoughts on DSG R
« Reply #40 on: 06 July 2017, 22:41 »
I'm someone that went from a manual GTD to a DSG R in January there.
Having had driven manuals for the last 30 years I thought I'd give this auto thing a go.

Now its not just a case of stick it in D and go. You really need to watch the road conditions and know exactly what gear your DSG is in. Its caught me out several times when I was needing some acceleration and the car just sits there going down the gears from 6th to 3rd for what seems like an eternity. It really is annoying.

Watching the road conditions and having it in the proper gear then its absolutely great but its definitely not a put it in D and forget about it gearbox like some claim it is. It is extremely interactive.

I tried running about for a few weeks in its manual mode and it returned about 17mpg whereas the same kind of conditions in D would return in the low 30's.  I'm past the point of watching the MPG and just drive it like I want but it is worth baring in mind.

Sometime I think to myself I'm going back the manual route on my next car then I drive my wife's manual GTI and am glad I have the DSG  :grin:
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline vance1

• Not said much yet
Re: Thoughts on DSG R
« Reply #41 on: 07 July 2017, 19:30 »
Thanks for that P3asa, something to bear in mind, I tried an S3 s tronic yesterday and thought it hunted for the gears a couple of times, but could have just been me. To me it was about the same as the R and not an upgrade over it as the salesman claimed. Mind you the price was an upgrade!