Author Topic: So then, what car are you buying next?  (Read 369853 times)

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
Re: So then, what BMW are you buying next?
« Reply #1040 on: 21 July 2012, 07:51 »

I still don't get your reasoning. I never understand people who settle for second best. I would have had the R in May 2009 but it was not available then on my company car scheme. Now it is but thats not what I am ordering.

You are buying an average car that looks and goes like any other fast hatch, when for the same money you could have bought something very special.

Maybe one day you'll understand that there is more to life than having to have the latest, fastest, "best" car available at the time. After all, who are you trying to impress with it? And do they really give a sh1t?

Quote of the day for me :grin:

MAW73...I can confirm you will not regret your choice..

Have you been lucky enough to drive one yet?

I had to wave goodbye to my 2011 Candy White GTI back in April when I moved jobs as it was a company car.

I absolutely loved the GTI and have spent the last 4 months longingly looking at any which I see on the road.

I did consider going for another GTI, but the wife and a few friends convinced me it was time for a change.

So I ordered the 125i M Sport in Alpine White, with very much the same goodies as you.

I collected on Monday and let me just say this car is fantastic!

I was initially quite hesitant about getting the car because of my loss over the GTI...Almost like the feeling you are cheating on a girlfriend haha. However with each passing day I am loving this car more and more.  I have to say pictures of this car do not do it justice.  In reality the lines and stance of the car in general really make it shine.

The car feels so planted and the power and torque available really pleasing.  I haven't smashed it too much yet as running it in up to 1200 miles, but I have already sampled it enough to know that it will put the same smile on my face as the GTI did.

The visibility package really makes the car, with the xenon drl's really setting the car off in white.  Also you will not regret the Harmon Kardon.  My GTI was equipped with dynaudio, but this is nothing in comparison to the HK.

I have to say I was initially disappointed with the audio from the engine internally compared to the GTI. The 125i doesn't quite start up with the same purr as the GTI.  However having said that, have the sunroof/windows open and it sounds like a gem from the outside.  As you pull through the gears the twin power turbo goes with a real whistle.  It's also quite deceiving as you pull through, because for a 4 cylinder it sounds very much like a straight six.  It takes me back to the 328is M Sport I had a few years back.

Internally I would say the 125 surpasses the GTI by quite a long way.  The leather being much softer and of better build.  Also the general seating position and cockpit controls really very nice.  

So don't be put off or concerned by your choice...look forward to that pick up date because it will be a great day  :smiley:

I have linked below to my post with a couple of pics of the Alpine White beast.

http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719620

Many thanks for the great write up. This has affirmed my belief that I've chosen the right car. I can't blimming wait now!

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline kgreenway

• Not said much yet
Re: So then, what car are you buying next?
« Reply #1041 on: 21 July 2012, 08:17 »
Btw I also contemplated cancelling the 125i when the M135i was announced. 

The comparable spec with options was still a considerable more money, plus in addition to the extra road tax and fuel bills.  Additionally BMW were not offering anywhere near the same deals on finance at the time.

The running costs alone did it for me, with the mixture of driving I do it just didn't work out.

I'm sure this will be the same for others, particularly for those thaus one with company car/car allowance.  So it isn't quite the no brainier that many are saying on here to automatically go towards the M135i...After all isn't this quite the same deal in regards to the GTI/R??  Might be a larger gap, but there is a prominent market for both.

Offline MAW73

• I live here
« Reply #1042 on: 21 July 2012, 08:26 »

I still don't get your reasoning. I never understand people who settle for second best. I would have had the R in May 2009 but it was not available then on my company car scheme. Now it is but thats not what I am ordering.

You are buying an average car that looks and goes like any other fast hatch, when for the same money you could have bought something very special.

Maybe one day you'll understand that there is more to life than having to have the latest, fastest, "best" car available at the time. After all, who are you trying to impress with it? And do they really give a sh1t?

Choose :

£30k for a high spec 125i
£30k for a M1351 with high spec as standard

No brainer really  :laugh:

Strange people on here pretending to be car enthusiasts

Thanks again for another one of your enlightening posts. However, if you spec a 135 with options I have on my 125 then your looking a 36k car. If I had wanted a 135 then I'd have brought one.

Your comment regard to people on here pretending to be car enthusiasts is frankly sad and pathetic.

2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline MAW73

• I live here
« Reply #1043 on: 21 July 2012, 08:30 »
Btw I also contemplated cancelling the 125i when the M135i was announced. 

The comparable spec with options was still a considerable more money, plus in addition to the extra road tax and fuel bills.  Additionally BMW were not offering anywhere near the same deals on finance at the time.

The running costs alone did it for me, with the mixture of driving I do it just didn't work out.

I'm sure this will be the same for others, particularly Bfor those thaus one with company car/car allowance.  So it isn't quite the no brainier that many are saying on here to automatically go towards the M135i...After all isn't this quite the same deal in regards to the GTI/R??  Might be a larger gap, but there is a prominent market for both.

Exactly  :smiley:

Have you got some pic's of your 125 you can send me? I need some pictures to see me through to delivery. Many thanks, Martin
« Last Edit: 21 July 2012, 16:23 by MAW73 »

2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline kgreenway

• Not said much yet
« Reply #1044 on: 21 July 2012, 08:30 »

Many thanks for the great write up. This has affirmed my belief that I've chosen the right car. I can't blimming wait now!

Yep, just wait to sink yourself into the leather seats and immerse yourself into the gadgets on tap with idrive and HK. Just might want to consider getting some ear defenders :-)

Offline MAW73

• I live here
« Reply #1045 on: 21 July 2012, 08:33 »

Yep, just wait to sink yourself into the leather seats and immerse yourself into the gadgets on tap with idrive and HK. Just might want to consider getting some ear defenders :-)

LOL can't frigging wait!

2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline MAW73

• I live here
« Reply #1046 on: 21 July 2012, 13:17 »
I just had a test drive of a 118d m sport at the dealership where I brought mine this morning. This is the closest car the dealer had to what I ordered. The car was beautiful to drive. I was so impressed by the diesal engine I almost felt changing my order from petrol 125i. The steering felt perfectly weighted with excellent feedback. Obviously I didn't really have a chance to push the car as I was with the sales guy but it felt very capable indeed. The interior quality was excellent and realy well layed out.

My dad had the previous generation 1 series 120d m sport a few years back. I drove this car a few times and never really felt wowed by it. The car I drove today felt like a completely different beast.

I felt really comfortable driving the F20 from the moment I switched the engine on and turned the wheel. I came away with lots of smiles and knew I'd made the perfect choice in changing from my beloved GTi. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
« Last Edit: 21 July 2012, 15:24 by MAW73 »

2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline Raffe

• I live here
« Reply #1047 on: 21 July 2012, 15:12 »
 :cool:

Nothing more exciting than waiting for your new toy to turn up, enjoy :wink:
2016 Golf R | 3dr | DSG | Reflex Silver | 19" Pretoria Alloys | 90% Tints | Nav | Winter Pack | App Connect

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #1048 on: 21 July 2012, 16:39 »
Martin has your new said how long it might be till you get a build date ect....?
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #1049 on: 21 July 2012, 16:40 »
:cool:

Nothing more exciting than waiting for your new toy to turn up, enjoy :wink:

Indeed, i might ask to test drive a 1 series even though i'm not due to change for a bit, just to pacify me! :lipsrsealed:
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂